GA-8S648FX-L Microphone input

gmv

Hello,

The microphone input to my motherboard
is putting out a +2.5 volts on the tip
as related to the common and I was just
curious if this is normal for the microphone input
to be putting out this voltage ?

--
Regards;
gmv

gmv

I think I should add to this the following.

Stereo patch cord attached to Microphone input
RealTek AC97 Onboard sound adapter

Using a stereo plug
_
< > <--- +2.5V
| |<---- several milli volts
_| |_<--- common
| |
| |
| |

Surely one of you out there has taken
a DVM to measure the voltages on
your patch cords ???
What measurements are you getting ?
Are these readings normal or is something wrong here ?

"gmv" <noemail@please.123> wrote in message news:rlHYc.3947$_g7.757@attbi_s52...
> Hello,
>
> The microphone input to my motherboard
> is putting out a +2.5 volts on the tip
> as related to the common and I was just
> curious if this is normal for the microphone input
> to be putting out this voltage ?
>
> --
> Regards;
> gmv

Adrian Stuart

Well on my board there is +5V on the tip and +1.25V on the ring, I've never
put a mic on this input. If your mic works I wouldn't worry too much about
it. It may be a bias voltage for cheap capacitor mics.

Adrian

>I think I should add to this the following.
>
> Stereo patch cord attached to Microphone input
> RealTek AC97 Onboard sound adapter
>
> Using a stereo plug
> _
> < > <--- +2.5V
> | |<---- several milli volts
> _| |_<--- common
> | |
> | |
> | |

> Surely one of you out there has taken
> a DVM to measure the voltages on
> your patch cords ???
> What measurements are you getting ?
> Are these readings normal or is something wrong here ?
>

> "gmv" <noemail@please.123> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> The microphone input to my motherboard
>> is putting out a +2.5 volts on the tip
>> as related to the common and I was just
>> curious if this is normal for the microphone input
>> to be putting out this voltage ?
>>
>> --
>> Regards;
>> gmv