GA-965P S3 rev. 3.3 and problem's with SATA

Constantin Zaharia

I have a problem, have a motherboard GA-965P S3 rev. 3.3 and have
connected a hard WD WD5000AAKS. But the brave yellow SATA sockets
transfer does not exceed 3.3 MB. Although they say you should be brave
SATA 2 connection. I searched online and found an update on board
Marvel LAN network card, but not with this update failed to achieve
higher speeds on a yellow socket.
Now violet and plugs are connected on a brave get approx. 130Mb, still
less taking into account that 2 SATA 3Gb knows.

Paul

Constantin Zaharia wrote:
> I have a problem, have a motherboard GA-965P S3 rev. 3.3 and have
> connected a hard WD WD5000AAKS. But the brave yellow SATA sockets
> transfer does not exceed 3.3 MB. Although they say you should be brave
> SATA 2 connection. I searched online and found an update on board
> Marvel LAN network card, but not with this update failed to achieve
> higher speeds on a yellow socket.
> Now violet and plugs are connected on a brave get approx. 130Mb, still
> less taking into account that 2 SATA 3Gb knows.

There is a small chance, that your drive is in "PIO mode".
This article gives an example of how to fix it. These instructions
are for an IDE ribbon cable drive, but you can try a similar
approach for your SATA drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472

"To re-enable the typical, or faster, transfer mode for an affected device:

1. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.
2. Click System Tools, and then click Device Manager.
3. Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers node.
4. Double-click the controller for which you want to restore the typical DMA transfer mode.
5. Click the Driver tab.
6. Click Uninstall.
7. When the process completes, restart your computer. When Windows restarts, the hard disk
controller is re-enumerated and the transfer mode is reset to the default value for each
device that is connected to the controller."

Since your hard drive type is SATA, you'd look for the controller
that controls that drive.

For testing, you can get a copy of HDTune. Version 2.55 is free, and the
second link is the link to download it.

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe

The Benchmark tab allows testing the transfer rate performance.
In the free version of the program, the test is read-only, so it
won't damage the information on the disk.

The Info tab shows the parameters currently being used
for the drive.

Paul

Barry Watzman

There are two different disk controller chips on that board; the Intel
chipset and the JMicron controller chip. The SATA sockets are color
coded based on which chip they go to (but I do not recall which one is
which). It is very common for people who own motherboards with this
configuration (some Asus boards and others have the same configuration)
to never install the drivers for the JMicron chip (note, Gigabyte calls
it a "Gigabyte" chip). That could be part of your problem if you are
using the JMicron chip.

Constantin Zaharia wrote:
> I have a problem, have a motherboard GA-965P S3 rev. 3.3 and have
> connected a hard WD WD5000AAKS. But the brave yellow SATA sockets
> transfer does not exceed 3.3 MB. Although they say you should be brave
> SATA 2 connection. I searched online and found an update on board
> Marvel LAN network card, but not with this update failed to achieve
> higher speeds on a yellow socket.
> Now violet and plugs are connected on a brave get approx. 130Mb, still
> less taking into account that 2 SATA 3Gb knows.

Constantin Zaharia

Purple connectors are those from JMicron, and now that I UDMA6
connectors and transfer rate somewhere around 150MB. On yellow
connectors transfer rate is somewhere around 50mb and connects a UDMA5