GA-M57SLI-S4 - Bad SATA controller?

Ricky Smith

I have 2 500GB hard drives, one with Windows XP, the other with
Windows Vista. Both drives (when plugged in stand alone using
different SATA cables into different SATA ports) exhibit the same
symptoms.

Windows, after a short time after boot, will experience a "drive
freeze" where all hard drive activity completely stops (drive is not
spinning at all). Windows is still functional, in that any
applications already loaded continue to function, but any task
requiring disk activity will not operate, instead will freeze.

Ever since I built this computer I've had occasional issues, but this
is the first time I've been able to eliminate bad drives and windows
issues as the cause and it's never been this bad. It started this bad
a few days ago. It has also frozen during a low-level virus scan which
was performed without windows (at boot).

Does this sound like it could be a bad SATA controller? Any insight
and/or advice you could give me to help identify/repair the issue
would be most appreciated.

Individual.Net

"Ricky Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 2 500GB hard drives, one with Windows XP, the other with
> Windows Vista. Both drives (when plugged in stand alone using
> different SATA cables into different SATA ports) exhibit the same
> symptoms.
>
> Windows, after a short time after boot, will experience a "drive
> freeze" where all hard drive activity completely stops (drive is not
> spinning at all). Windows is still functional, in that any
> applications already loaded continue to function, but any task
> requiring disk activity will not operate, instead will freeze.
>
> Ever since I built this computer I've had occasional issues, but this
> is the first time I've been able to eliminate bad drives and windows
> issues as the cause and it's never been this bad. It started this bad
> a few days ago. It has also frozen during a low-level virus scan which
> was performed without windows (at boot).
>
> Does this sound like it could be a bad SATA controller? Any insight
> and/or advice you could give me to help identify/repair the issue
> would be most appreciated.

Had problems myself and got the same board. Not sure but it's not up to
Gigabytes usual quality stuff. Had issues with a GA5-AX and seems to have
passed on to this generation, even if it is old.

I have other problems though such as freezes, followed by a Flash Rom read
protected mode and then BSOD on bootup. IDE hdd wanting to push past SATA
when SATA is set for bootup. But yeah, don't think I be getting another
gigabyte board. This was my fourth-fifth one in a row but enough's enough
really.

--
Skipai