GA-M57SLI-S4 Rev 2.0 front panel sound problems

dazzle

I have recently upgraded my PC to a GA-M57SLI-S4 Rev. 2.0 mobo. I had
everything working, including the front panel, then I unplugged the
microphone and headphone front panel connectors from the motherboard,
plugged them in again (wrongly), so had to replug them the correct way
and now the Realtek sound management software doesn't show that there
are any front connectors active, and the headphone / mic sockets do
not work.

The sound works from the rear connectors.

It is a Realtek ALC888 which is HD Audio but the case front panel
connectors are AC97 only. I have followed the directions for providing
AC97 compatibility for the ALC888 HD audio in the management software.

The front panel box works because I tested it on another motherboard.

Any suggestions, help would be gratefully appreciated.

The layout from the mobo manual is as follows:

1 MIC
2 GND
3 MIC Power
4 NC
5 Line Out (R)
6 NC
7 NC
8 No pin
9 Line Out (L)
10 NC

And the cables for the front panel audio are:
MIC IN
MIC Power
Ground
Out-L x 2 (one is L-RET)
Out-R x2 (one is R-RET)

Paul

K9A2GM-FIH Motherboard Front Panel Sound not working arnieb MSI 4 05-30-2009 01:44 AM
sound card with Intel-standard front-panel audio Ron Miller Asus 1 08-19-2007 06:19 PM
m55plus-s3g front panel sound connectors??? Strutter1982 Gigabyte 5 04-21-2007 06:31 AM
front panel sound Randy Davis Asus 3 05-08-2006 04:17 AM
P4R800-VM Front Panel - Sound Issues Al Asus 2 07-26-2004 05:36 PM