GA-P35--DS3L how vary fan by CPU case temp?

Kris

Playing with the little 1.6g until tomorrow, but noticing that EasyTune
does a right fine job of varying the cpu fan speed per the "cpu" temp which
is Winbond IT8718F temp2 per spedfan 4.33final. cputemp/casetemp is 56C
per "coretemp 0.96" (Freezer7). I do wish I could vary it per the cpu case
temp rather than the sensor on the mobo. I'll have the mobo apart tomorrow
anyway when the new stuff arrives so I'll try to find the mobo sensor. I'm
also going to try my old zalman tomorrow which blows down at the mobo and
thus that sensor might get a bit more of the cpu heat..... maybe a heat
conduit to the sensor?

I also picked up a little zalman ZM-NB47J chipset HS for the NB thinking
that it was hot, but stuck my probe into it today and it's been steady at
45C with the HS that came with the mobo (as part of installing a mobo I
normally remove the NB HS and redo the paste, so it's AS3 in there since
that's all I had. AS5 in shipment tomorrow, so I'll redo it.

thoughts?
tia
--
Kris
-----

Phil Weldon

'Kris' wrote:
| ...so it's AS3 in there since
| that's all I had. AS5 in shipment tomorrow, so I'll redo it.
|
| thoughts?
_____

Try butter; it will do nearly as well.

And try rethinking your temperature reasoning.

Phil Weldon

"Kris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Playing with the little 1.6g until tomorrow, but noticing that EasyTune
| does a right fine job of varying the cpu fan speed per the "cpu" temp
which
| is Winbond IT8718F temp2 per spedfan 4.33final. cputemp/casetemp is 56C
| per "coretemp 0.96" (Freezer7). I do wish I could vary it per the cpu
case
| temp rather than the sensor on the mobo. I'll have the mobo apart
tomorrow
| anyway when the new stuff arrives so I'll try to find the mobo sensor.
I'm
| also going to try my old zalman tomorrow which blows down at the mobo and
| thus that sensor might get a bit more of the cpu heat..... maybe a heat
| conduit to the sensor?
|
| I also picked up a little zalman ZM-NB47J chipset HS for the NB thinking
| that it was hot, but stuck my probe into it today and it's been steady at
| 45C with the HS that came with the mobo (as part of installing a mobo I
| normally remove the NB HS and redo the paste, so it's AS3 in there since
| that's all I had. AS5 in shipment tomorrow, so I'll redo it.
|
| thoughts?
| tia
| --
| Kris
| -----
| GB GA-P35-DS3L, [in mail((E2200Alen 2.2g, Mushkin 2x1gb HP))],
| MSI NX8600GTS-OC 256mb, Audigy SE 24 bit,
| OnAir USB HDTV-GT with 5.1Dolby and Purevideo Silver,
| Raidmax RX530-SS psu, XP Pro SP 2

RobV

Kris wrote:
> Playing with the little 1.6g until tomorrow, but noticing that
> EasyTune does a right fine job of varying the cpu fan speed per the
> "cpu" temp which is Winbond IT8718F temp2 per spedfan 4.33final.
> cputemp/casetemp is 56C per "coretemp 0.96" (Freezer7).

[snip]

Coretemp measures the temp inside each core of a multiple core CPU. In
the case of the Intel Core2 Duo, it's read from directly inside each
core. That 56C isn't CPU/Case temp, it's the temp of each of your CPU's
cores (under load, I should hope).

Kris

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:17:56 -0500, RobV wrote:

> Kris wrote:
>> Playing with the little 1.6g until tomorrow, but noticing that
>> EasyTune does a right fine job of varying the cpu fan speed per the
>> "cpu" temp which is Winbond IT8718F temp2 per spedfan 4.33final.
>> cputemp/casetemp is 56C per "coretemp 0.96" (Freezer7).

> [snip]
>
> Coretemp measures the temp inside each core of a multiple core CPU. In
> the case of the Intel Core2 Duo, it's read from directly inside each
> core. That 56C isn't CPU/Case temp, it's the temp of each of your CPU's
> cores (under load, I should hope).

yeah, that was with 1.6 (a 420) -> 1.99 and prime 95 running mixed. yes,
it's the temp of the core (only 1 now, 2 tomorrow)it idles at 45C (freezer7
at the moment) When I swap cpus I'll take a very close look at the center
of the socket... This is my first Intel venture and I'm used to the old
AMD type boards with a little sensor on a bead bent up toward the cpu case
so you could get a closer reading. The Intel 775 apparently has a couple
of mills of air between the sensor and the cpu case.

I do note that with this bios with voltages set to auto that it would be
very happy to blow out your cpu or memory. So I have my voltages set
specifically, and watch my temps.
--
Kris
-----

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 23:06:28 -0500, Phil Weldon wrote:

> 'Kris' wrote:
>| ...so it's AS3 in there since
>| that's all I had. AS5 in shipment tomorrow, so I'll redo it.
>|
>| thoughts?
> _____
>
> Try butter; it will do nearly as well.
>
> And try rethinking your temperature reasoning.
>
> Phil Weldon
>
> "Kris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>| Playing with the little 1.6g until tomorrow, but noticing that EasyTune
>| does a right fine job of varying the cpu fan speed per the "cpu" temp
> which
>| is Winbond IT8718F temp2 per spedfan 4.33final. cputemp/casetemp is 56C
>| per "coretemp 0.96" (Freezer7). I do wish I could vary it per the cpu
> case
>| temp rather than the sensor on the mobo. I'll have the mobo apart
> tomorrow
>| anyway when the new stuff arrives so I'll try to find the mobo sensor.
> I'm
>| also going to try my old zalman tomorrow which blows down at the mobo and
>| thus that sensor might get a bit more of the cpu heat..... maybe a heat
>| conduit to the sensor?
>|
>| I also picked up a little zalman ZM-NB47J chipset HS for the NB thinking
>| that it was hot, but stuck my probe into it today and it's been steady at
>| 45C with the HS that came with the mobo (as part of installing a mobo I
>| normally remove the NB HS and redo the paste, so it's AS3 in there since
>| that's all I had. AS5 in shipment tomorrow, so I'll redo it.
>|
>| thoughts?
>| tia
>| --
>| Kris
>| -----
>| GB GA-P35-DS3L, [in mail((E2200Alen 2.2g, Mushkin 2x1gb HP))],
>| MSI NX8600GTS-OC 256mb, Audigy SE 24 bit,
>| OnAir USB HDTV-GT with 5.1Dolby and Purevideo Silver,
>| Raidmax RX530-SS psu, XP Pro SP 2

I'll definitely remember that you recomended butter, Phil. Do you use
dairy, or margerine? You must have an interesting smelling computer. How
many seconds between cpu replacements? And how do you remove the carbon
deposits from the copper core HS? (I suppose just lap it each time...
what's another 20 thou)

The AS3 that I had was the dregs in a tube that has been lying around here
for years. They age well, but only to a point. Very little measurable
difference between 3 and 5, I suspect, but it's what newegg sells, so...

RobV

Kris wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:17:56 -0500, RobV wrote:
>
>> Kris wrote:
>>> Playing with the little 1.6g until tomorrow, but noticing that
>>> EasyTune does a right fine job of varying the cpu fan speed per the
>>> "cpu" temp which is Winbond IT8718F temp2 per spedfan 4.33final.
>>> cputemp/casetemp is 56C per "coretemp 0.96" (Freezer7).

>> [snip]
>>
>> Coretemp measures the temp inside each core of a multiple core CPU.
>> In the case of the Intel Core2 Duo, it's read from directly inside
>> each core. That 56C isn't CPU/Case temp, it's the temp of each of
>> your CPU's cores (under load, I should hope).

> yeah, that was with 1.6 (a 420) -> 1.99 and prime 95 running mixed.
> yes, it's the temp of the core (only 1 now, 2 tomorrow)it idles at
> 45C (freezer7 at the moment)

Just wanted to make sure you knew that. Not a bad temp for 100% load.

>When I swap cpus I'll take a very close
> look at the center of the socket... This is my first Intel venture
> and I'm used to the old AMD type boards with a little sensor on a
> bead bent up toward the cpu case so you could get a closer reading.
> The Intel 775 apparently has a couple of mills of air between the
> sensor and the cpu case.

I imagine that would depend on the motherboard. Like you, I've had AMD
CPUs and MBs and always tried to get that thermistor right up against
the CPU bottom. The Asus P5B and Core2 Duo I have now is my first
Intel system in many years. It does not have a thermistor in the
socket, but measures the temp from the core. The Coretemp program is
nice, since it shows both cores, and is probably more accurate than the
BIOS.

> I do note that with this bios with voltages set to auto that it would
> be very happy to blow out your cpu or memory. So I have my voltages
> set specifically, and watch my temps.

Sounds like you're all set! Hope you get one that really overclocks
well. Let us (TINU) know.

Phil Weldon

'Kris' wrote, in part:
| This is my first Intel venture and I'm used to the old
| AMD type boards with a little sensor on a bead bent up toward the cpu case
| so you could get a closer reading. The Intel 775 apparently has a couple
| of mills of air between the sensor and the cpu case.

Intel CPUs have on-CPU-die temperature sensors, so there is no thermistor
'under the CPU socket' on motherboards for Intel CPUs.

And yes, butter does work as a thermal paste (I tested unsalted Land 'o
Lakes 98% butterfat.) Butter is runny at CPU temperatures, attracts bugs,
and goes rancid, but otherwise is about as good as Arctic Silver or any
other thermal paste. Just as Arctic Silver is about as good as any other
thermal paste, Radio Shack zinc oxide loaded silicone grease, for example.

Phil Weldon

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 01:29:52 -0500, RobV wrote:

> Kris wrote:

>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Coretemp measures the temp inside each core of a multiple core CPU.
>>> In the case of the Intel Core2 Duo, it's read from directly inside
>>> each core. That 56C isn't CPU/Case temp, it's the temp of each of
>>> your CPU's cores (under load, I should hope).

>> yeah, that was with 1.6 (a 420) -> 1.99 and prime 95 running mixed.
>> yes, it's the temp of the core (only 1 now, 2 tomorrow)it idles at
>> 45C (freezer7 at the moment)

> Just wanted to make sure you knew that. Not a bad temp for 100% load.
>
>>When I swap cpus I'll take a very close
>> look at the center of the socket... This is my first Intel venture
>> and I'm used to the old AMD type boards with a little sensor on a
>> bead bent up toward the cpu case so you could get a closer reading.
>> The Intel 775 apparently has a couple of mills of air between the
>> sensor and the cpu case.

> I imagine that would depend on the motherboard. Like you, I've had AMD
> CPUs and MBs and always tried to get that thermistor right up against
> the CPU bottom. The Asus P5B and Core2 Duo I have now is my first
> Intel system in many years. It does not have a thermistor in the
> socket, but measures the temp from the core. The Coretemp program is
> nice, since it shows both cores, and is probably more accurate than the
> BIOS.
>
>> I do note that with this bios with voltages set to auto that it would
>> be very happy to blow out your cpu or memory. So I have my voltages
>> set specifically, and watch my temps.

> Sounds like you're all set! Hope you get one that really overclocks
> well. Let us (TINU) know.

problem. coppied from my post to ocforums...
"""prob ocing past 220 with good memory...
With 2x1gb Mushkin HP also with OCZ platinum ver2 2x1gb (both were 800) :

running Prime 95: Using EasyTune to raise cpu and mem:

bsod and/or blank screen often accompanied by an error in Prime just before
it does that:

at 219/876. If I increase northbridge voltage GMCH to +0.3, it happens at
221/884

Odly, I had some cheapie Patriot 667 2x1gb and I was easily able to oc that
to 270/1080 .

I have played with the DDR voltage since both Mushkin and OCZ take 2.1.

HELP!!!!!

tia!!!!! (been talking with Mushkin rep quite a bit, but no solution)"""

- - - - -

So, yes, I will go back over to MicroCenter tomorrow and try to get some
Patriot Signature 800 memory to try.

I tried my old zalman 7000cu HS and it seems to work about as well as the
Freezer7. Besides, the Freezer7 ran into my NB HS. I AM looking for a
better solution......... I returned the Freezer7. and the 1.6cpu.

At idle coretemp says 43 43. speedfan says Intel core0&1 are 28 28.
With Prime95 it's 59 59 and 45 45 roughly. No oc.

Meantime did Win XP repair install to give it support for a dual core,
which went fine. Found "si meter" which seems to do a nice job of metering
stuff.

If anyone has any idea what the heck is up, please let me know!!!!! )

--
Kris
-----

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 23:52:53 -0500, Kris wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 01:29:52 -0500, RobV wrote:
>
>> Kris wrote:

>>> yeah, that was with 1.6 (a 420) -> 1.99 and prime 95 running mixed.
>>> yes, it's the temp of the core (only 1 now, 2 tomorrow)it idles at
>>> 45C (freezer7 at the moment)

>> Just wanted to make sure you knew that. Not a bad temp for 100% load.
>>
>>>When I swap cpus I'll take a very close
>>> look at the center of the socket... This is my first Intel venture
>>> and I'm used to the old AMD type boards with a little sensor on a
>>> bead bent up toward the cpu case so you could get a closer reading.
>>> The Intel 775 apparently has a couple of mills of air between the
>>> sensor and the cpu case.

>> I imagine that would depend on the motherboard. Like you, I've had AMD
>> CPUs and MBs and always tried to get that thermistor right up against
>> the CPU bottom. The Asus P5B and Core2 Duo I have now is my first
>> Intel system in many years. It does not have a thermistor in the
>> socket, but measures the temp from the core. The Coretemp program is
>> nice, since it shows both cores, and is probably more accurate than the
>> BIOS.
>>
>>> I do note that with this bios with voltages set to auto that it would
>>> be very happy to blow out your cpu or memory. So I have my voltages
>>> set specifically, and watch my temps.

>> Sounds like you're all set! Hope you get one that really overclocks
>> well. Let us (TINU) know.

> problem. coppied from my post to ocforums...
> """prob ocing past 220 with good memory...
> With 2x1gb Mushkin HP also with OCZ platinum ver2 2x1gb (both were 800) :
>
> running Prime 95: Using EasyTune to raise cpu and mem:
>
> bsod and/or blank screen often accompanied by an error in Prime just before
> it does that:
>
> at 219/876. If I increase northbridge voltage GMCH to +0.3, it happens at
> 221/884
>
> Odly, I had some cheapie Patriot 667 2x1gb and I was easily able to oc that
> to 270/1080 .
>

> I have played with the DDR voltage since both Mushkin and OCZ take 2.1.
>
> HELP!!!!!
>
> tia!!!!! (been talking with Mushkin rep quite a bit, but no solution)"""
>
> - - - - -
>
> So, yes, I will go back over to MicroCenter tomorrow and try to get some
> Patriot Signature 800 memory to try.
>
> I tried my old zalman 7000cu HS and it seems to work about as well as the
> Freezer7. Besides, the Freezer7 ran into my NB HS. I AM looking for a
> better solution......... I returned the Freezer7. and the 1.6cpu.
>
> At idle coretemp says 43 43. speedfan says Intel core0&1 are 28 28.
> With Prime95 it's 59 59 and 45 45 roughly. No oc.
>
> Meantime did Win XP repair install to give it support for a dual core,
> which went fine. Found "si meter" which seems to do a nice job of metering
> stuff.
>
> If anyone has any idea what the heck is up, please let me know!!!!! )

Well, this is my hobby/fun so I had fun!!! I did indeed!!!

Gigabyte board was bad so returned it and got Asus P5K.
Oc to 270 cpu clock (2.97ghz, mem was 800 @ 1080).
Then NIC on Asus left this plane of existance so took that board back and
got a DFI.
Same OC, though I have settled on 260/1040/2.86mhz
This particular cpu chip runs very hot. Tried about 6 different big HSFs
including Tuniq tower and Freezer7, all yielding 64-70C dirung Prime 25.5
torture. Newegg: Tt Big Typhoon VX: 60C max. So that's very liveable!
And I'm a very happy camper.

That VX HSF is also very easy to install - don't have to remove mobo,
unscrew psu and slide it back a couple of inches and that corner pin is
very easy to access. doesn't crowd psu, NB-HS, or memory. Not
particularly heavy.

Just noticed my NB is 40C. Actually, Smart Guardian says 45C. This is
because when I installed the VX, I pointed the fins from front to back, not
side to side where some air would move past the NB, and also exhaust into
the psu bottom 120mm fan. I'll try changing it tomorrow.

Fun!!! Toys!!!
--
Kris
--------

Kris wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 23:52:53 -0500, Kris wrote:

[snipped for brevity]

>> - - - - -
>>
>> So, yes, I will go back over to MicroCenter tomorrow and try to get
>> some Patriot Signature 800 memory to try.
>>
>> I tried my old zalman 7000cu HS and it seems to work about as well
>> as the Freezer7. Besides, the Freezer7 ran into my NB HS. I AM
>> looking for a better solution......... I returned the Freezer7.
>> and the 1.6cpu.
>>
>> At idle coretemp says 43 43. speedfan says Intel core0&1 are 28 28.
>> With Prime95 it's 59 59 and 45 45 roughly. No oc.
>>
>> Meantime did Win XP repair install to give it support for a dual
>> core, which went fine. Found "si meter" which seems to do a nice
>> job of metering stuff.
>>
>> If anyone has any idea what the heck is up, please let me know!!!!!
>> )

> Well, this is my hobby/fun so I had fun!!! I did indeed!!!
>
> Gigabyte board was bad so returned it and got Asus P5K.
> Oc to 270 cpu clock (2.97ghz, mem was 800 @ 1080).
> Then NIC on Asus left this plane of existance so took that board back
> and got a DFI.
> Same OC, though I have settled on 260/1040/2.86mhz
> This particular cpu chip runs very hot. Tried about 6 different big
> HSFs including Tuniq tower and Freezer7, all yielding 64-70C dirung
> Prime 25.5 torture. Newegg: Tt Big Typhoon VX: 60C max. So that's
> very liveable! And I'm a very happy camper.
>
> That VX HSF is also very easy to install - don't have to remove mobo,
> unscrew psu and slide it back a couple of inches and that corner pin
> is very easy to access. doesn't crowd psu, NB-HS, or memory. Not
> particularly heavy.
>
> Just noticed my NB is 40C. Actually, Smart Guardian says 45C. This
> is because when I installed the VX, I pointed the fins from front to
> back, not side to side where some air would move past the NB, and
> also exhaust into the psu bottom 120mm fan. I'll try changing it
> tomorrow.
>
> Fun!!! Toys!!!

Kris' Excellent Adventure!

You're right, though. The fun is in trying this and that, then getting
a decent overclock with acceptable temps. I'm surprised you were able
to exchange all that stuff! It wouldn't be as easy (or fast) with any
of the web hardware sites.

BTW, 45C for the NB is excellent. It usually runs much hotter, nearer
to 60C, so don't worry about it. Install the HS for best CPU cooling.

The only problem is that after all is done and stable and reliable, it
gets a bit boring. ;-) In any case, I'm glad you have a
system/overclock that you feel good about. Well done and thanks for the
update.