Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Gateway 2000 AnyKey Keyboard Macro Backup Utility Program

 
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2009, 05:46 AM
Greetings,

I am still using a Gateway 2000 AnyKey keyboard that I received with my
first computer in 1994 (although the computer I am now using it on is not
much younger). Once you have become used to having this keyboard, you find
that you can't live without it. I am thoroughly versed in the programming of
the keyboard but recently I decided that I would like to make use of a small
program that came on the original system disk that allowed for a backup of
your programmed macros to your hard drive & the ability to restore from that
backup. As is common with this keyboard, occasionally one hits the program
macro key & screws up the keyboard. It's simple to wipe the macros clean but
then you must individually reprogram each macro one at a time. Naturally I
cannot find my original system disk. Does anyone know of a site that I can
download the program & documentation for use? I have searched extensively &
found a few programs (anykey30, anykey34, etc.) but they just either run a
"bat" file or open a dos prompt. Maybe one of you have an old Gateway System
disk that has the "Anykey" folder on it which includes the program &
documentation that you could e-mail me? The original system disk was WFG
3.11.
In the mean time, I'll keep looking.
Thanks.

Rich

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
SC Tom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2009, 09:01 PM

"Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Jcg4m.4545$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings,
>
> I am still using a Gateway 2000 AnyKey keyboard that I received with my
> first computer in 1994 (although the computer I am now using it on is not
> much younger). Once you have become used to having this keyboard, you find
> that you can't live without it. I am thoroughly versed in the programming
> of the keyboard but recently I decided that I would like to make use of a
> small program that came on the original system disk that allowed for a
> backup of your programmed macros to your hard drive & the ability to
> restore from that backup. As is common with this keyboard, occasionally
> one hits the program macro key & screws up the keyboard. It's simple to
> wipe the macros clean but then you must individually reprogram each macro
> one at a time. Naturally I cannot find my original system disk. Does
> anyone know of a site that I can download the program & documentation for
> use? I have searched extensively & found a few programs (anykey30,
> anykey34, etc.) but they just either run a "bat" file or open a dos
> prompt. Maybe one of you have an old Gateway System disk that has the
> "Anykey" folder on it which includes the program & documentation that you
> could e-mail me? The original system disk was WFG 3.11.
> In the mean time, I'll keep looking.
> Thanks.
>
> Rich

Try this software http://www.autohotkey.com/

A few searches returned it as a substitute for the original software.

SC Tom


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2009, 09:42 PM


"SC Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yCt4m.9007$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> I am still using a Gateway 2000 AnyKey keyboard that I received with my
>> first computer in 1994 (although the computer I am now using it on is not
>> much younger). Once you have become used to having this keyboard, you
>> find that you can't live without it. I am thoroughly versed in the
>> programming of the keyboard but recently I decided that I would like to
>> make use of a small program that came on the original system disk that
>> allowed for a backup of your programmed macros to your hard drive & the
>> ability to restore from that backup. As is common with this keyboard,
>> occasionally one hits the program macro key & screws up the keyboard.
>> It's simple to wipe the macros clean but then you must individually
>> reprogram each macro one at a time. Naturally I cannot find my original
>> system disk. Does anyone know of a site that I can download the program &
>> documentation for use? I have searched extensively & found a few programs
>> (anykey30, anykey34, etc.) but they just either run a "bat" file or open
>> a dos prompt. Maybe one of you have an old Gateway System disk that has
>> the "Anykey" folder on it which includes the program & documentation that
>> you could e-mail me? The original system disk was WFG 3.11.
>> In the mean time, I'll keep looking.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Rich

> Try this software http://www.autohotkey.com/
>
> A few searches returned it as a substitute for the original software.
>
> SC Tom
>
>


Thanks for the suggestion Tom. I appreciate you taking the time to find
that. However, the AnyKey is a hardware based macro recorder. It has
circuitry & ROM built into the keyboard to store the macros. I could
literally disconnect the keyboard from one computer & connect it to another
& use the same macros. No software needs to be installed or running on the
computer in use. This is significant. I currently work at home. I share the
AnyKey keyboard for its convenience. The software-based solution would work
except for one key problem. I have no administrative rights to my work
computer. I can make almost no changes to any settings let alone install a
macro program. I just need the original backup/restore program that somehow
accessed the ROM chips on the keyboard & saved them to as file that could be
restored to the keyboard if needed. I quickly scanned the home page for the
software & didn't see any functionality to do that. If I missed it please
let me know. You indicated that it was a substitute for the original
software but the only software was a backup/restore program, not a macro
recording program.
Thanks again.

Rich



 
Reply With Quote
 
chicagofan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Rich wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am still using a Gateway 2000 AnyKey keyboard that I received with my
> first computer in 1994 (although the computer I am now using it on is not
> much younger). Once you have become used to having this keyboard, you find
> that you can't live without it.


I was very fond of mine too. I bought my first Gateway home pc in late
1993, which is still in my basement, but not working.

> I am thoroughly versed in the programming of
> the keyboard but recently I decided that I would like to make use of a small
> program that came on the original system disk that allowed for a backup of
> your programmed macros to your hard drive & the ability to restore from that
> backup. As is common with this keyboard, occasionally one hits the program
> macro key & screws up the keyboard. It's simple to wipe the macros clean but
> then you must individually reprogram each macro one at a time. Naturally I
> cannot find my original system disk. Does anyone know of a site that I can
> download the program & documentation for use? I have searched extensively &
> found a few programs (anykey30, anykey34, etc.) but they just either run a
> "bat" file or open a dos prompt. Maybe one of you have an old Gateway System
> disk that has the "Anykey" folder on it which includes the program &
> documentation that you could e-mail me? The original system disk was WFG
> 3.11.
> In the mean time, I'll keep looking.
> Thanks.
>
> Rich
>


I have lots of disks, but didn't see the system disk you mention. I had
3 systems disks labeled Tool Tips. However, I do have a blue disk with
the Gateway 2000 label, which says ANYKEY, AnyKey Keyboard Utility
Disk. Do you think it would help you?

If so, I couldn't e-mail, because I no longer have a disk drive to load
it. I could mail it to you though, [free of charge] if you think it
would have what you need.

Barbara




 
Reply With Quote
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2009, 01:40 AM

> I have lots of disks, but didn't see the system disk you mention. I had
> 3 systems disks labeled Tool Tips. However, I do have a blue disk with
> the Gateway 2000 label, which says ANYKEY, AnyKey Keyboard Utility Disk.
> Do you think it would help you?
>
> If so, I couldn't e-mail, because I no longer have a disk drive to load
> it. I could mail it to you though, [free of charge] if you think it would
> have what you need.
>
> Barbara



Thanks, Barbara!
With the help of a web page walking me through the process in DOS, I figured
out how to use it. I would love to have your disk, though. If you reply to
my post we can work it out the particulars via e-mail. Do you still have the
keyboard?

Thanks,
Rich


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2009, 04:21 PM


> Rich, I loved my Anykey too, and ended up working at a company that
> makes a programmable keypad with a similar function. I don't want to
> advertise, so I won't post the link unless you ask for it, but if
> you're moving this back and forth to work, I think the keypad might be
> a great option for you.
>
>
>
>
> --
> Dan from PI


I'd be greatly interested in reading about your keypad....post away! Thanks
for the feedback.

Rich

 
Reply With Quote
 
chicagofan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Rich wrote:
>> I have lots of disks, but didn't see the system disk you mention. I had
>> 3 systems disks labeled Tool Tips. However, I do have a blue disk with
>> the Gateway 2000 label, which says ANYKEY, AnyKey Keyboard Utility Disk.
>> Do you think it would help you?
>>
>> If so, I couldn't e-mail, because I no longer have a disk drive to load
>> it. I could mail it to you though, [free of charge] if you think it would
>> have what you need.
>>
>> Barbara
>>

>
>
> Thanks, Barbara!
> With the help of a web page walking me through the process in DOS, I figured
> out how to use it. I would love to have your disk, though. If you reply to
> my post we can work it out the particulars via e-mail. Do you still have the
> keyboard?
>
> Thanks,
> Rich
>
>


Yes, I still have the keyboard, but something wasn't working on it, when
I stopped using it long ago. Can't remember what it was. If you think
the disk will go through the mail without a protective box [I don't
have any mailers], you can contact me about the AnyKey disk at
chicagolovr at gmail dot com.

Barbara
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2009, 04:18 AM

>
> Yes, I still have the keyboard, but something wasn't working on it, when I
> stopped using it long ago. Can't remember what it was. If you think the
> disk will go through the mail without a protective box [I don't have any
> mailers], you can contact me about the AnyKey disk at chicagolovr at gmail
> dot com.
>
> Barbara


After answering your post last night I did some more digging & located the
disk. I purchased my system in February 1994. They didn't include a separate
AnyKey disk at that time apparently The program was in a folder on the main
system disk that included Windows 3.11 & various utilities. It's interesting
that you say something broke on your keyboard. Gateway stopped using them in
1996 because they were weary of the support calls for "broken" keyboards
which actually had been remapped accidentally Many times over the years I
would be vigorously typing away & suddenly notice the "program macro" key
flashing because I somehow inadvertently hit the magic combination. All I
could do in that case is hit the button again effectively recording a 5
minute macro of unknown key combinations. All I could do is wipe out all
macros to reset the board to normal & re-record my stored macros. You could
see where this was driving Gateway crazy & why the backup utility is useful
because you could just restore your macros after you messed up the keyboard
& cleared it.
Anyway, thanks for the offer & your trouble.
Rich

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2009, 04:35 AM


"Dan from PI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Rich,
>
> It's called the X-keys. It's available in both PS/2 and USB versions.
> The PS/2 version carries all of the macros in an onboard memory, and the
> USB version can be configured that way. One nice advantage it has over
> the Anykey is that it's easy to label the keys so you don't forget
> which macro is on which key.
>
> Here's a web page I wrote about it a few years back:
> http://www.piengineering.com/resources/anykey.php
>
> I hope you find this useful.
>
>
>
>
> --
> Dan from PI


Interesting site. It even has a picture of a Gateway Keyboard. However,
another product caught my eye there. My 11 year old son likes to upload
videos of his Wii Call Of Duty action to YouTube. Originally he would use a
camera to record the TV screen. Then he asked me for this inexpensive USB
device called EasyCap which comes with Ulead movie capturing software.
Unfortunately, unless the computer is right next to the game console there's
a problem. So I bought him a 16 foot active USB extension which isn't
really quite long enough. However, the data stream must be too much for even
an active USB cable & the sound gets out of synch with the video. The USB
Extender may solve the problem.
Thanks,
Rich

 
Reply With Quote
 
chicagofan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Rich wrote:
>> Yes, I still have the keyboard, but something wasn't working on it, when I
>> stopped using it long ago. Can't remember what it was. If you think the
>> disk will go through the mail without a protective box [I don't have any
>> mailers], you can contact me.
>>
>> Barbara
>>

>
> After answering your post last night I did some more digging & located the
> disk. I purchased my system in February 1994. They didn't include a separate
> AnyKey disk at that time apparently The program was in a folder on the main
> system disk that included Windows 3.11 & various utilities. It's interesting
> that you say something broke on your keyboard. Gateway stopped using them in
> 1996 because they were weary of the support calls for "broken" keyboards
> which actually had been remapped accidentally Many times over the years I
> would be vigorously typing away & suddenly notice the "program macro" key
> flashing because I somehow inadvertently hit the magic combination. All I
> could do in that case is hit the button again effectively recording a 5
> minute macro of unknown key combinations. All I could do is wipe out all
> macros to reset the board to normal & re-record my stored macros. You could
> see where this was driving Gateway crazy & why the backup utility is useful
> because you could just restore your macros after you messed up the keyboard
> & cleared it.
>


I did that occasionally too. I think I just had keys sticking, and
was too lazy to figure out how to clean them or fix them, since I had a
new keyboard that came with the second system.


> Anyway, thanks for the offer & your trouble.
> Rich
>
>

You're welcome. I know how much it would mean to me, if someone could
direct me to some old games I had on previous systems. Glad you have
found what you needed!
bj

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting 'Keyboard Customizer Utility' to work w/ external PS2 keyboard avantos IBM Thinkpad 0 04-25-2007 07:57 AM
Getting 'Keyboard Customizer Utility' to work w/ external PS2 keyboard news.tiscali.nl IBM Thinkpad 0 04-25-2007 07:48 AM
Macro-Op fusion does not work in 64-bit mode YKhan Intel 12 08-10-2006 05:41 AM
HP Laserjet 4100 - Duplex Macro Jon Askew HP 0 08-04-2003 10:30 AM
tray selection via pcl macro? news_isaac HP 0 07-31-2003 11:25 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:08 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment