Gateway FX530 Media Center Remote Problem?

Steve Mavronis

I just noticed my (black) Gateway media center remote is having a problem in
Windows Vista Media Center. I went to use the channel up/down buttons
tonight and it changes to 2 channels away instead of the next channel, as if
it skips the one in between. Also the channel guide button doesn't work but
the IR sensor red LED does light up when I press the button. Its as if the
buttons are being pressed twice but other buttons work fine like typing in
channel numbers, etc. I was thinking it might be a button bounce problem so
I tried a Windows registry setting changing the remote EnableDebounce
setting from 1 to 0 and rebooted (as suggested in other help forums) but
that didn't fix it. The only think new that happened was yesterday's monthly
Microsoft Updates which did include a Windows Media Center related
"Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB941229)". The patch
details do not say anything about media center remotes so I am puzzled. Any
other Gateway PC users with TV Tuner cards and Media Center remotes having
similar problems or a solution to try?

Steve Mavronis

It figures right after posting my question I come up with a fix for it.
After reading more Microsoft support articles afterwards, I ended up
unplugging the connector going into the back of my desktop IR sensor and
plugged it back in again. Now all the buttons work as expected. Microsoft
says the IF sensor can get a firmware buffer overrun and this clears it.

Steve

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

Gateway FX530 Mods? Ikaros Gateway 5 01-24-2009 04:48 AM
Gateway FX530 Wiring Cleanup Ikaros Gateway 1 01-21-2009 03:41 AM
eBay: Gateway FX530 - 3.2GHZ processor, 4M RAM, 1TB HD Dave Gateway 3 12-12-2007 07:03 PM
What makes a Media Center a Media Center ? Fred Mau Dell 1 03-16-2005 10:37 PM
Lost Win Xp Media Center Edition on HP media center pc 873n Norm HP 2 01-30-2005 07:36 AM