Gateway Games virus

CrankyDaze

I have a Gateway computer...I've had it about a month. For the past
week, several times every day, I've been getting a virus warning from
my anti-virus program. It is always either in Gateway Games, or is
trying to get into Gateway Games.

The name of the virus (which is described as a Trojan Horse on virus
information sites) is DR/Zlob.Gen.

I uninstalled Gateway Game Console a little bit ago, using the
uninstall feature on Vista. That thing is still there, and in fact
when I clicked to see if it was just a dead link, it not only opened,
it attempted to update itself.

I am aware that some software has features that some anti-virus
programs will recognize as a virus which is actually a harmless
javascript, but this DR/Zlob.Gen is listed on every anti-virus web
page I visited. Whatever it is, I don't want it, and I don't want the
program.

I still can hardly believe how much junk software Gateway loads on
their new computers...trialware (try it now, buy it after 30 days when
the program becomes disabled). If I wanted shareware, there are
literally thousands of sites on the Internet where I can find it and
download it.

In any case, I need to know how to get rid of the Gateway Games
Console. After finding that it didn't really uninstall, I removed the
file to the recycle bin. It's still there, and I can retrieve it if
someone can tell me how to uninstall it permanently.

In case you can't tell, I'm not happy with this computer. Between
Gateway, and that horror of an operating system, Vista, and all the
Google stuff they've installed on it, it's the worst computer I've
ever had (and this is my 4th).

Thank you.

Jupiter Jones

Sorry, I know nothing of the Gateway Game Console.

Does the anti virus attempt to remove it?
If not, directions for removal should be given.
If none of the above, consider using a different program since the one
you use seems deficient.

After Add/Remove Programs, search for and delete folders by that name.
If, and only if you are familiar enough with the registry, search in
the registry.

"I still can hardly believe how much junk software..."
Typical of most if not all major OEMs.
The best way around it is to buy the computer locally where you can
have the exact hardware and software you want with no surprises.

If the computer is that bad for you, simply return unless the 30 days
has already passed.

Windows Vista has worked well on two of my computers for 6 months.
The key is hardware and software up to the task which is not
necessarily more than a good Windows XP machine.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"CrankyDaze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Gateway computer...I've had it about a month. For the past
> week, several times every day, I've been getting a virus warning
> from
> my anti-virus program. It is always either in Gateway Games, or is
> trying to get into Gateway Games.
>
> The name of the virus (which is described as a Trojan Horse on virus
> information sites) is DR/Zlob.Gen.
>
> I uninstalled Gateway Game Console a little bit ago, using the
> uninstall feature on Vista. That thing is still there, and in fact
> when I clicked to see if it was just a dead link, it not only
> opened,
> it attempted to update itself.
>
> I am aware that some software has features that some anti-virus
> programs will recognize as a virus which is actually a harmless
> javascript, but this DR/Zlob.Gen is listed on every anti-virus web
> page I visited. Whatever it is, I don't want it, and I don't want
> the
> program.
>
> I still can hardly believe how much junk software Gateway loads on
> their new computers...trialware (try it now, buy it after 30 days
> when
> the program becomes disabled). If I wanted shareware, there are
> literally thousands of sites on the Internet where I can find it and
> download it.
>
> In any case, I need to know how to get rid of the Gateway Games
> Console. After finding that it didn't really uninstall, I removed
> the
> file to the recycle bin. It's still there, and I can retrieve it if
> someone can tell me how to uninstall it permanently.
>
> In case you can't tell, I'm not happy with this computer. Between
> Gateway, and that horror of an operating system, Vista, and all the
> Google stuff they've installed on it, it's the worst computer I've
> ever had (and this is my 4th).
>
> Thank you.

Frank

CrankyDaze wrote:
> I have a Gateway computer...I've had it about a month. For the past
> week, several times every day, I've been getting a virus warning from
> my anti-virus program. It is always either in Gateway Games, or is
> trying to get into Gateway Games.
>
> The name of the virus (which is described as a Trojan Horse on virus
> information sites) is DR/Zlob.Gen.
>
> I uninstalled Gateway Game Console a little bit ago, using the
> uninstall feature on Vista. That thing is still there, and in fact
> when I clicked to see if it was just a dead link, it not only opened,
> it attempted to update itself.
>
> I am aware that some software has features that some anti-virus
> programs will recognize as a virus which is actually a harmless
> javascript, but this DR/Zlob.Gen is listed on every anti-virus web
> page I visited. Whatever it is, I don't want it, and I don't want the
> program.
>
> I still can hardly believe how much junk software Gateway loads on
> their new computers...trialware (try it now, buy it after 30 days when
> the program becomes disabled). If I wanted shareware, there are
> literally thousands of sites on the Internet where I can find it and
> download it.
>
> In any case, I need to know how to get rid of the Gateway Games
> Console. After finding that it didn't really uninstall, I removed the
> file to the recycle bin. It's still there, and I can retrieve it if
> someone can tell me how to uninstall it permanently.
>
> In case you can't tell, I'm not happy with this computer. Between
> Gateway, and that horror of an operating system, Vista, and all the
> Google stuff they've installed on it, it's the worst computer I've
> ever had (and this is my 4th).
>
> Thank you.

I'd like to dump the individual gateway games from the game unit.
I like the old Microsoft standbys like minesweeper. Option would be to
move the games you like and dump unit.
Frank