Gateway GM5091E

Annie Woughman

I just updated my Gateway GM5091E desktop from Windows XP to Windows 7.
Everything seems to be working fine except for the TV tuner. I couldn't
find anything on the Gateway site for it. I opened the box and it seems to
be an ATI tuner, but the ATI site didn't seem to have to correct drivers or
software for it. Also on the card was T55E_LF Ver 1.1. Does anyone know
where I can get the software to get this going again? Media Center says
there is no tuner installed. It was working fine until the Windows 7
install.

Ben Myers

Annie Woughman wrote:
> I just updated my Gateway GM5091E desktop from Windows XP to Windows 7.
> Everything seems to be working fine except for the TV tuner. I couldn't
> find anything on the Gateway site for it. I opened the box and it seems
> to be an ATI tuner, but the ATI site didn't seem to have to correct
> drivers or software for it. Also on the card was T55E_LF Ver 1.1. Does
> anyone know where I can get the software to get this going again? Media
> Center says there is no tuner installed. It was working fine until the
> Windows 7 install.

If ATI does not have drivers for the TV tuner, nobody does. ATI writes
and tests the drivers, puts the driver CD in the box for sale at retail
and provides drivers to OEM customers like Gateway.

ATI may yet provide a driver. If not, the tuner is a casualty to the
planned obsolescence coalition among Microsoft and all of its
Independent Hardware Vendors (IHVs). Microsoft changes the way hardware
drivers work from release to release, and IHVs have a choice to update
the drivers or not. With mainstream hardware like business-class HP
LaserJets, the choice is a no-brainer. Same with piddly 56K modems,
wifi cards, and some other very common hardware. But TV tuners,
scanners, cheap inkjet printers, some video cards, and some audio cards
fall by the wayside whenever there is a new Windows release. This is
how the computer industry stimulates the economy, getting us to buy
replacement equipment before the older equipment is worn out.

It's interesting that the ATI TV tuner is a not-very-old PCI-Express
model. Because of its relative newness, compared to a PCI TV tuner, the
odds of ATI eventually doing a Vista/Win 7 driver are pretty good.

This leads me to ask whether the ATI web site has a Vista driver for the
tuner, and whether you have tried to install it??? Windows 7 is not
terribly different than Vista inside. In fact, it is what Vista should
have been right at the beginning, instead of Microsoft foisting a lot of
bloated and useless eye candy out on the public.

I am interested in the results you might get, because I have a very
similar (identical?) ATI TV tuner I recently pulled from a failed Dell
system... Ben Myers

Annie Woughman

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hetnij$2of$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Annie Woughman wrote:
>> I just updated my Gateway GM5091E desktop from Windows XP to Windows 7.
>> Everything seems to be working fine except for the TV tuner. I couldn't
>> find anything on the Gateway site for it. I opened the box and it seems
>> to be an ATI tuner, but the ATI site didn't seem to have to correct
>> drivers or software for it. Also on the card was T55E_LF Ver 1.1. Does
>> anyone know where I can get the software to get this going again? Media
>> Center says there is no tuner installed. It was working fine until the
>> Windows 7 install.

> If ATI does not have drivers for the TV tuner, nobody does. ATI writes
> and tests the drivers, puts the driver CD in the box for sale at retail
> and provides drivers to OEM customers like Gateway.
>
> ATI may yet provide a driver. If not, the tuner is a casualty to the
> planned obsolescence coalition among Microsoft and all of its Independent
> Hardware Vendors (IHVs). Microsoft changes the way hardware drivers work
> from release to release, and IHVs have a choice to update the drivers or
> not. With mainstream hardware like business-class HP LaserJets, the
> choice is a no-brainer. Same with piddly 56K modems, wifi cards, and some
> other very common hardware. But TV tuners, scanners, cheap inkjet
> printers, some video cards, and some audio cards fall by the wayside
> whenever there is a new Windows release. This is how the computer
> industry stimulates the economy, getting us to buy replacement equipment
> before the older equipment is worn out.
>
> It's interesting that the ATI TV tuner is a not-very-old PCI-Express
> model. Because of its relative newness, compared to a PCI TV tuner, the
> odds of ATI eventually doing a Vista/Win 7 driver are pretty good.
>
> This leads me to ask whether the ATI web site has a Vista driver for the
> tuner, and whether you have tried to install it??? Windows 7 is not
> terribly different than Vista inside. In fact, it is what Vista should
> have been right at the beginning, instead of Microsoft foisting a lot of
> bloated and useless eye candy out on the public.

I downloaded two different drivers from the ATI site, and neither seemed to
do the trick. One of them was dated 7/09.

> I am interested in the results you might get, because I have a very
> similar (identical?) ATI TV tuner I recently pulled from a failed Dell
> system... Ben Myers

What I find weird is that the tuner doesn't even show up in the Hardware
manager as an unknown device. It is like it isn't even in the machine. I
even took it out, restarted the machine, turned off the machine and put the
card back in and there was no indication of "new hardware."

Also, I've noticed that I cannot get a couple of my games to play full
screen now. We are a big fan of Zuma and usually play it full screen and
now it will only show up as a little 4 X 6 box in the middle of the screen.
Do you have any suggestions there? I tried messing with the screen
resolution, but that didn't do anything either. The monitor is also a
Gateway, I believe 21" flatscreen.

SC Tom

"Annie Woughman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WqxQm.34201$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

>> I am interested in the results you might get, because I have a very
>> similar (identical?) ATI TV tuner I recently pulled from a failed Dell
>> system... Ben Myers

> What I find weird is that the tuner doesn't even show up in the Hardware
> manager as an unknown device. It is like it isn't even in the machine. I
> even took it out, restarted the machine, turned off the machine and put
> the card back in and there was no indication of "new hardware."
>
> Also, I've noticed that I cannot get a couple of my games to play full
> screen now. We are a big fan of Zuma and usually play it full screen and
> now it will only show up as a little 4 X 6 box in the middle of the
> screen. Do you have any suggestions there? I tried messing with the
> screen resolution, but that didn't do anything either. The monitor is
> also a Gateway, I believe 21" flatscreen.

I have that same problem on my M-6850FX laptop. A few games like Tiger Woods
2006 play in a window instead of full screen. It's like watching a re-sized
DVD movie on a wide-screen TV.
I don't have Zuma, but Bejeweled 2 displays like TW2006.

SC Tom

Annie Woughman

"SC Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dyyQm.61191$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Annie Woughman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:WqxQm.34201$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> "Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:hetnij$2of$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>> Also, I've noticed that I cannot get a couple of my games to play full
>> screen now. We are a big fan of Zuma and usually play it full screen and
>> now it will only show up as a little 4 X 6 box in the middle of the
>> screen. Do you have any suggestions there? I tried messing with the
>> screen resolution, but that didn't do anything either. The monitor is
>> also a Gateway, I believe 21" flatscreen.
>>

> I have that same problem on my M-6850FX laptop. A few games like Tiger
> Woods
> 2006 play in a window instead of full screen. It's like watching a
> re-sized
> DVD movie on a wide-screen TV.
> I don't have Zuma, but Bejeweled 2 displays like TW2006.
>
> SC Tom

Side note here. I just tried a different monitor with the same PC. The
monitor is a newer HP w2207h and I was able to play the games in full screen
mode. So, that leads me to believe that problem lies within the older
monitor and not the Windows 7 installation. Only problem being--I have to
give the monitor back to hubby :-(

SC Tom

"Annie Woughman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:duBQm.35388$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "SC Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dyyQm.61191$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> "Annie Woughman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:WqxQm.34201$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>>> "Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:hetnij$2of$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> Also, I've noticed that I cannot get a couple of my games to play full
>>> screen now. We are a big fan of Zuma and usually play it full screen
>>> and
>>> now it will only show up as a little 4 X 6 box in the middle of the
>>> screen. Do you have any suggestions there? I tried messing with the
>>> screen resolution, but that didn't do anything either. The monitor is
>>> also a Gateway, I believe 21" flatscreen.
>>>

>> I have that same problem on my M-6850FX laptop. A few games like Tiger
>> Woods
>> 2006 play in a window instead of full screen. It's like watching a
>> re-sized
>> DVD movie on a wide-screen TV.
>> I don't have Zuma, but Bejeweled 2 displays like TW2006.
>>
>> SC Tom
>>

> Side note here. I just tried a different monitor with the same PC. The
> monitor is a newer HP w2207h and I was able to play the games in full
> screen mode. So, that leads me to believe that problem lies within the
> older monitor and not the Windows 7 installation. Only problem being--I
> have to give the monitor back to hubby :-(

Check the monitor manufacturer's web site and see if they have an updated
Win7 inf file for it.
Or tell hubby to get you one (or one for himself) for Christmas :-)

SC Tom

Annie Woughman

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hetnij$2of$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Annie Woughman wrote:
>> I just updated my Gateway GM5091E desktop from Windows XP to Windows 7.
>> Everything seems to be working fine except for the TV tuner. I couldn't
>> find anything on the Gateway site for it. I opened the box and it seems
>> to be an ATI tuner, but the ATI site didn't seem to have to correct
>> drivers or software for it. Also on the card was T55E_LF Ver 1.1. Does
>> anyone know where I can get the software to get this going again? Media
>> Center says there is no tuner installed. It was working fine until the
>> Windows 7 install.

> If ATI does not have drivers for the TV tuner, nobody does. ATI writes
> and tests the drivers, puts the driver CD in the box for sale at retail
> and provides drivers to OEM customers like Gateway.
>
> ATI may yet provide a driver. If not, the tuner is a casualty to the
> planned obsolescence coalition among Microsoft and all of its Independent
> Hardware Vendors (IHVs). Microsoft changes the way hardware drivers work
> from release to release, and IHVs have a choice to update the drivers or
> not. With mainstream hardware like business-class HP LaserJets, the
> choice is a no-brainer. Same with piddly 56K modems, wifi cards, and some
> other very common hardware. But TV tuners, scanners, cheap inkjet
> printers, some video cards, and some audio cards fall by the wayside
> whenever there is a new Windows release. This is how the computer
> industry stimulates the economy, getting us to buy replacement equipment
> before the older equipment is worn out.
>
> It's interesting that the ATI TV tuner is a not-very-old PCI-Express
> model. Because of its relative newness, compared to a PCI TV tuner, the
> odds of ATI eventually doing a Vista/Win 7 driver are pretty good.
>
> This leads me to ask whether the ATI web site has a Vista driver for the
> tuner, and whether you have tried to install it??? Windows 7 is not
> terribly different than Vista inside. In fact, it is what Vista should
> have been right at the beginning, instead of Microsoft foisting a lot of
> bloated and useless eye candy out on the public.
>
> I am interested in the results you might get, because I have a very
> similar (identical?) ATI TV tuner I recently pulled from a failed Dell
> system... Ben Myers

I found software at
http://www.nodevice.com/driver/compa.../TV_Tuner.html
I downloaded the one for the Theater 550 Pro. It says it is an XP driver,
but it got the computer to recognize the tuner and then Media Center took
over from there. I was just getting ready to go out and buy another tuner,
I'm glad I gave it one more try.

Annie Woughman

"SC Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QIBQm.34944$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Annie Woughman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:duBQm.35388$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> "SC Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:dyyQm.61191$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>>> "Annie Woughman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:WqxQm.34201$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I have that same problem on my M-6850FX laptop. A few games like Tiger
>>> Woods
>>> 2006 play in a window instead of full screen. It's like watching a
>>> re-sized
>>> DVD movie on a wide-screen TV.
>>> I don't have Zuma, but Bejeweled 2 displays like TW2006.
>>>
>>> SC Tom
>>>

>> Side note here. I just tried a different monitor with the same PC. The
>> monitor is a newer HP w2207h and I was able to play the games in full
>> screen mode. So, that leads me to believe that problem lies within the
>> older monitor and not the Windows 7 installation. Only problem being--I
>> have to give the monitor back to hubby :-(

> Check the monitor manufacturer's web site and see if they have an updated
> Win7 inf file for it.
> Or tell hubby to get you one (or one for himself) for Christmas :-)
>
> SC Tom

Funny thing, after I put the old monitor back on my PC, both games now play
in full screen mode. Yay! I am happy with my new Win 7 install now that I
have my TV tuner working and my games playing in full screen.

SC Tom

"Annie Woughman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0FTQm.52146$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "SC Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:QIBQm.34944$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> "Annie Woughman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:duBQm.35388$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>>> "SC Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:dyyQm.61191$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Side note here. I just tried a different monitor with the same PC. The
>>> monitor is a newer HP w2207h and I was able to play the games in full
>>> screen mode. So, that leads me to believe that problem lies within the
>>> older monitor and not the Windows 7 installation. Only problem being--I
>>> have to give the monitor back to hubby :-(

>> Check the monitor manufacturer's web site and see if they have an updated
>> Win7 inf file for it.
>> Or tell hubby to get you one (or one for himself) for Christmas :-)
>>
>> SC Tom
>>

> Funny thing, after I put the old monitor back on my PC, both games now
> play in full screen mode. Yay! I am happy with my new Win 7 install now
> that I have my TV tuner working and my games playing in full screen.

Good, I'm glad it's all working for you. I think you'll like Win7; I know I
do.

SC Tom

BillW50

SC Tom wrote:
> Good, I'm glad it's all working for you. I think you'll like Win7; I
> know I do.

I guess I fall into the 20% camp that doesn't like Windows 7. Sorry I
preordered two Windows 7 copies now which sits on the shelf unopened. I
am also one of the ones that doesn't like Linux either. Even though I am
using it now. As Avast is flagging false positives on my Windows
machines and I don't have much of a choice until I get them fixed. lol

http://support.avast.com/index.php?_...barticleid=377

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC