Gateway Solo 1450 CPU upgrade

Junior Member

I have the 1.2 GHz processor in my Gateway Solo 1450 laptop. I also have faster processors available (up to 1.6GHz). Has anyone had any luck making such a combination work, and if so, how?

TIA

Junior Member

I have the 1.2 GHz processor in my Gateway Solo 1450 laptop. I also have faster processors available (up to 1.6GHz). Has anyone had any luck making such a combination work, and if so, how?

I don't think I made it clear, even to myself. What I am trying to do is determine if replacing the CPU with a faster processor will work, and under what circumstances. I've tried a straight swap, and nothing happened. The machine didn't boot, or even pass a self-test. I'm trying to see if there are motherboard traces, jumpers, etc. that I can move, change, enable or disable to increase the processor speed the system "expects."

The system currently runs XP Pro, Service Pack 2, and contains 1GB memory and a 120GB internal drive (for reference).

Thanks again...