gateway solo 9100

Angelocracy.com

can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

Robert Harris

Angelocracy.com wrote:
> can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

Then there is something wrong with your CD!

Robert

Angelocracy.com

On Apr 5, 1:13 pm, Robert Harris <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Angelocracy.com wrote:
> > can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

> Then there is something wrong with your CD!
>
> Robert

there is nothing wrong with cd

Noozer

Angelocracy.com wrote:

> On Apr 5, 1:13 pm, Robert Harris <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Angelocracy.com wrote:
>> > can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

>> Then there is something wrong with your CD!
>>
>> Robert

> there is nothing wrong with cd

Either your CD is no good, or your PC is broken.

If you set the BIOS to boot from CD, then it will boot from the CD.

Matt Giwer

Angelocracy.com wrote:
> On Apr 5, 1:13 pm, Robert Harris <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Angelocracy.com wrote:
>>> can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

>> Then there is something wrong with your CD!

>> Robert

> there is nothing wrong with cd

Did you burn the .iso file or did you simply write it to the disk? It is a
common mistake.

--
Hodie Nonis Aprilibus MMVII est
-- The Ferric Webceasar

Martin Gregorie

Angelocracy.com wrote:
> On Apr 5, 1:13 pm, Robert Harris <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Angelocracy.com wrote:
>>> can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

>> Then there is something wrong with your CD!
>>
>> Robert

> there is nothing wrong with cd

In increasing order of difficulty to check:

- Is a USB storage device first in the list and/or did you leave an
unbootable one plugged in?

- Are you sure you made the correct change and that the CD is *BEFORE*
the hard disk in the bootable drives list?

- Has the BIOS RAM got corrupted?

- Is the battery backing up your BIOS RAM OK?

- have you checked/reseated all internal cables and cards?

If you've checked all this and the CD still doesn't boot than you've
either got a broken IDE controller or a broken CD drive.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

winston19842005@yahoo.com

On Apr 5, 11:37 am, "Angelocracy.com" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

When you say you set it to boot from cd, you mean you set your bios to
not just boot from cd, but if it has a "boot order", you added it to
the top of the list ABOVE the hard drive?

Trevor Hemsley

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 15:37:57 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, "Angelocracy.com"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

How old is this machine? There are 2 (at least) types of boot CD and somes
BIOSes do not understand or recognise the newer one. Anything made in, say, the
last 3 or 4 years should be fine with both. Hmm, yes, Google shows this as a
Pentium 166MMX so it's pretty old. Since you're posting to several linux groups
I presume this is a Linux CD you are trying to boot so maybe you could try a
different distribution which might use a different boot mechanism. I think the
safer one to look for is something called floppy disk emulation mode. Maybe a
BIOS upgrade might help too?

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

Tim Clark

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Trevor Hemsley" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 15:37:57 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, "Angelocracy.com"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

> How old is this machine? There are 2 (at least) types of boot CD and somes
> BIOSes do not understand or recognise the newer one. Anything made in, say, the
> last 3 or 4 years should be fine with both. Hmm, yes, Google shows this as a
> Pentium 166MMX so it's pretty old.

That quite possibly explains why a machine of mine, which is about 7
years old, wouldn't boot from some CDs, like Knoppix or the Fedora Live
CD, despite me setting the boot order to: floppy, CD, hard disk. I
hadn't paid too much attention to why this was, but found that booting
from a floppy which then offers a choice of booting from CD got round
the problem nicely. This work-around might suit Angelocracy.com too.

I happened to use a China-DOS Union DOS boot disk which does this. If
you don't have a suitable floppy boot disk, a quick google reveals a
number, such as http://bootcd.narod.ru/index_e.htm

--
Tim Clark

Martin Gregorie

Tim Clark wrote:
> That quite possibly explains why a machine of mine, which is about 7
> years old, wouldn't boot from some CDs, like Knoppix or the Fedora Live
> CD, despite me setting the boot order to: floppy, CD, hard disk. I
> hadn't paid too much attention to why this was, but found that booting
> from a floppy which then offers a choice of booting from CD got round
> the problem nicely. This work-around might suit Angelocracy.com too.

If you have a working Linux configuration its a good idea to make a GRUB
boot floppy. The result boots into GRUB and presents a booting command
line which you can use to boot almost any OS from any device that the
BIOS can access. Note that GRUB itself uses the BIOS to access the
drives, so if its a drive that your BIOS can't access, than GRUB can't
either. "info grub" will tell you how to do this.

The other possibility is to make a Tom's Rootboot floppy. This is a
minimal Linux system that boots from a single floppy to act as a rescue
disk. Get it here: http://www.toms.net/rb/

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK