Gawd...!!! i hate computers...!!!

The Translucent Amoebae

i thought that it was about time that i posted another one of these...

So uhhh...
i've been browsing around for a REALLY CHEAP Digital Video Camera to
make movies with on my MacBook, and i found this very cute one at
Waldomart:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...Specifications
But the specifications say: Specifically--- That it needs a Windoze OS
to connect to a "PC"...
Specifically ExCluding any mention of Mac or Linux OS's...

Does this mean the Obvious; that it will not work with a Mac,
Or has become the Convention, Just to neglect mentioning Mac
OS's...???

It seems to me that these formats would have become completely
standardized and all OS's would receive and process this Data...
Or, are there still 4 Dozen different Formats, each requiring their
own OS and Interpreter...???

eh?

Thanx...!!!

Michelle Steiner

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
The Translucent Amoebae <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Does this mean the Obvious; that it will not work with a Mac, Or has
> become the Convention, Just to neglect mentioning Mac OS's...???

Looking at the product specifications sheet at the manufacturer's web
site, I see that it has only a USB 2.0 interface. iMovie requires a
Firewire interface.

Also, the resolution is only 640 by 480. It has a fixed-focus, non-zoom
lens. And the built-in flash (for still photography) has an effective
range of less than three feet.

If you're going to get a digital movie camera, buy a decent one instead
of something like this.

Your hatred is misdirected; it shouldn't be against computers, but
against cheap peripherals.

--
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

The Translucent Amoebae

On Dec 16, 9:01 am, Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> The Translucent Amoebae <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Does this mean the Obvious; that it will not work with a Mac, Or has
> > become the Convention, Just to neglect mentioning Mac OS's...???

> Looking at the product specifications sheet at the manufacturer's web
> site, I see that it has only a USB 2.0 interface. iMovie requires a
> Firewire interface.
>
> Also, the resolution is only 640 by 480. It has a fixed-focus, non-zoom
> lens. And the built-in flash (for still photography) has an effective
> range of less than three feet.
>
> If you're going to get a digital movie camera, buy a decent one instead
> of something like this.
>
> Your hatred is misdirected; it shouldn't be against computers, but
> against cheap peripherals.
>
> --
> Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

Is this Firewire thinger fairly new...???
Because i just tried loading a 'clip' that i took with cheapy Samsung
Digital Camera that records Video Only Snippets, and it loaded into
iMovie OK...???
This Camera is about 4 years old, but it was designed to work with
Mac's when i bought it then... ( hmmmmm... )

Michelle Steiner

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
The Translucent Amoebae <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is this Firewire thinger fairly new...???

Firewire is more than ten years old.

--

On Dec 16, 9:48 am, J.J. O'Shea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:30:30 -0500, The Translucent Amoebae wrote
> (in article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>):
>

> > On Dec 16, 9:01 am, Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> In article
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> >> Looking at the product specifications sheet at the manufacturer's web
> >> site, I see that it has only a USB 2.0 interface. iMovie requires a
> >> Firewire interface.

> >> Also, the resolution is only 640 by 480. It has a fixed-focus, non-zoom
> >> lens. And the built-in flash (for still photography) has an effective
> >> range of less than three feet.

> >> If you're going to get a digital movie camera, buy a decent one instead
> >> of something like this.

> >> Your hatred is misdirected; it shouldn't be against computers, but
> >> against cheap peripherals.

> >> --
> >> Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

> > Is this Firewire thinger fairly new...???

> IEEE-1394, a.k.a FireWire 400, was standardized in 1995. It was renamed
> IEEE-1394a when FireWire 800, IEEE-1394b, was standardized in 2002.
> IEEE-1394c was proposed for standardization in 2006 and has been recently
> announced as FireWire 3200.
>
> No, FireWire is not new.
>
> > Because i just tried loading a 'clip' that i took with cheapy Samsung
> > Digital Camera that records Video Only Snippets, and it loaded into
> > iMovie OK...???

> If I decipher your mush correctly, you copied the clip to the Mac. iMovie
> will work correctly then.
>
> > This Camera is about 4 years old, but it was designed to work with
> > Mac's when i bought it then... ( hmmmmm... )

> That makes the camera newer than FireWire.
>
> You might want to look at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire>.
>
> You might also want to learn to write legible posts. If you go out of your
> way to make your posts hard to read, very few people will read them.
>
> --
> email to oshea dot j dot j at gmail dot com.

OK... You are no longer allowed to read and respond to my posts...!
If you're not going to specifically say what it is that you find
confusing, then you are only making me more crazy...!

So then:
i have two USB 2.0 Ports on my MacBook,
Is there an additional format problem that is likely to be encountered
by using the DXG 5.1 MP ( Pink or Blue ) Digital Camera...???

This Firewire thinger seems confusing
( i read the Wikipedia Article )
in that is Firewire ONLY a Plug Shape,
or is it a Format ( too ) that the Computer has to understand as
well...???

( please do not respond to this post if you're going to be a negative
ned or nelly -- thanx. )

Michelle Steiner

In article <(E-Mail Removed) t.net>,
J.J. O'Shea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Because i just tried loading a 'clip' that i took with cheapy
> > Samsung Digital Camera that records Video Only Snippets, and it
> > loaded into iMovie OK...???

> If I decipher your mush correctly, you copied the clip to the Mac.
> iMovie will work correctly then.

If it were a digital camera as he says, and he got video snippets, then
they were QuickTime snippets. Many digital cameras can do that.

--
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

Michelle Steiner

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
The Translucent Amoebae <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> i have two USB 2.0 Ports on my MacBook,

And at least one Firewire port.

> Is there an additional format problem that is likely to be
> encountered by using the DXG 5.1 MP ( Pink or Blue ) Digital
> Camera...???

It is not a format problem; it is a connectivity problem. iMovie works
only with Firewire connectivity, and does not work with USB connectivity.

> in that is Firewire ONLY a Plug Shape, or is it a Format ( too ) that
> the Computer has to understand as well...???

Neither; it is a connectivity protocol, just as are USB, serial,
parallel, SCSI, etc.

The problem is not that you hate computers; it's that you hate research.

--
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

Warren Oates

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
The Translucent Amoebae <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> ( i read the Wikipedia Article )
> in that is Firewire ONLY a Plug Shape,
> or is it a Format ( too ) that the Computer has to understand as
> well...???
>
> ( please do not respond to this post if you're going to be a negative
> ned or nelly -- thanx. )

Okie diddlie dokie.

Firewire is a protocol, like SCSI or USB or the Elders of Zion.
--
W. Oates

Michelle Steiner

In article <47657c79$0$31927$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Warren Oates <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Firewire is a protocol, like SCSI or USB or the Elders of Zion.

However, unlike the Elders of Zion, the others are real.

--
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

Eric Lindsay

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
The Translucent Amoebae <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> i have two USB 2.0 Ports on my MacBook,
> Is there an additional format problem that is likely to be encountered
> by using the DXG 5.1 MP ( Pink or Blue ) Digital Camera...???

The camera listed by Wal-Mart is not a standard video camera, as
expected by a Macintosh dealing with movie cameras. This is shown by the
fact that that the camera does not have an IEEE1394 interface, and by
the fact that it does not use a DV tape to record the video. It seems
more like the video you get from a regular digital still camera. The
video in the camera has been compressed.

Therefore, most Macintosh will not easily (plug and play) use anything
it outputs. If you have a sufficiently recent Macintosh that you can run
iMovie 08, then perhaps the Wal-Mart camera will be recognised and used.
Or, the camera may be recognised as a USB bulk storage device, and
iPhoto may accept the video. Personally I wouldn't touch these cheap
cameras.

> This Firewire thinger seems confusing

Firewire is (amongst other things) designed to deal with streams of
video. USB is not. Firewire is a peer to peer protocol (that is, a
Firewire camera can connect to a TV or video recorder that has Firewire,
and play or transfer its video. USB is a master slave protocol. You
normally must have a computer as a master controller.

USB is cheaper and often sufficiently fast to deal with video. PCs tend
not to have Firewire, so people making cameras have more trouble selling
cameras that use Firewire. So they make USB only cameras (they added the
USB and memory cards originally so computers would easily accept single
photos from video cameras). Generally these cameras compress the video
so that the result is horrible.

if you want crap video, just use the video option built into every
digital still camera, instead of wasting money on a second camera.

--
http://www.ericlindsay.com

"I hate Gateway with the passion of a thousand fiery suns." Bret Ludwig Gateway 3 07-01-2006 11:05 PM
DDR Ram question (I hate this mother board) Beavoid Asus 0 11-23-2005 07:03 AM
I HATE COMPUTERS Anthony Nvidia 5 02-02-2005 05:53 PM
I Hate Dell hatedell Dell 33 07-05-2004 06:15 AM
I hate ati's webpage! david ATI 20 11-24-2003 03:50 AM