Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Generic icons in Snow Leopard

 
 
Robin Henderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Just upgraded from Tiger. Many applications' icons have gone generic.
(TextWrangler, Elmedia, others.) Have tried:

Relaunching Finder
Clicking "Show preview" in View menu on and off.
Running DiskWarrior
Zapping the system .DS_store_ files with OnyX.

This seems to have been an ongoing battle with Snow Leopard. Many
complaints online, but no solutions offered. Has this issue been
resolved?

Also, the whole system is slow and balky; about OS 7-level performance
all around, with lots of interminable hangs, the dastardly beach ball
of death, only resolved by total reboot of the system (restarting
computer)... until it starts happening again. Browsers are especially
wonky (Safari and Firefox, both just upgraded; FF is the worst), and
Word (2004; runs under Rosetta on the new system, i.e., 10.6.8)

Any suggestions appreciated.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2012, 10:51 PM
In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Robin Henderson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Just upgraded from Tiger. Many applications' icons have gone generic.
> (TextWrangler, Elmedia, others.) Have tried:
>
> Relaunching Finder
> Clicking "Show preview" in View menu on and off.
> Running DiskWarrior
> Zapping the system .DS_store_ files with OnyX.
>


Disk Utility indicates no repair needed?

Did you use the Maintenance section/Rebuild or Automation section to
rebuild LaunchServices in Onyx? Have you got the latest Oynx?


> This seems to have been an ongoing battle with Snow Leopard. Many
> complaints online, but no solutions offered. Has this issue been
> resolved?
>


Never had a problem with this ever on Snow Leopard.


> Also, the whole system is slow and balky; about OS 7-level performance
> all around,



How is you RAM? In fact what machine are you using?


> with lots of interminable hangs, the dastardly beach ball
> of death, only resolved by total reboot of the system (restarting
> computer)... until it starts happening again. Browsers are especially
> wonky (Safari and Firefox, both just upgraded; FF is the worst), and
> Word (2004; runs under Rosetta on the new system, i.e., 10.6.8)
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.


--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Király
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2012, 03:33 AM
Robin Henderson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Just upgraded from Tiger. Many applications' icons have gone generic.
> (TextWrangler, Elmedia, others.) Have tried:
>
> Relaunching Finder
> Clicking "Show preview" in View menu on and off.
> Running DiskWarrior
> Zapping the system .DS_store_ files with OnyX.


Does the problem occur if you are logged in to a different user account?

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Robin Henderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-08-2012, 07:37 PM
On May 4, 3:51*pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> *Robin Henderson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Just upgraded from Tiger. Many applications' icons have gone generic.
> > (TextWrangler, Elmedia, others.) Have tried:

>
> > Relaunching Finder
> > Clicking "Show preview" in View menu on and off.
> > Running DiskWarrior
> > Zapping the system .DS_store_ files with OnyX.

>
> Disk Utility indicates no repair needed?
>
> Did you use the Maintenance section/Rebuild or Automation section to
> rebuild LaunchServices in Onyx? Have you got the latest Oynx?
>
> > This seems to have been an ongoing battle with Snow Leopard. Many
> > complaints online, but no solutions offered. Has this issue been
> > resolved?

>
> Never had a problem with this ever on Snow Leopard.
>
> > Also, the whole system is slow and balky; about OS 7-level performance
> > all around,

>
> How is you RAM? In fact what machine are you using?
>
> > with lots of interminable hangs, the dastardly beach ball
> > of death, only resolved by total reboot of the system (restarting
> > computer)... until it starts happening again. Browsers are especially
> > wonky (Safari and Firefox, both just upgraded; FF is the worst), and
> > Word (2004; runs under Rosetta on the new system, i.e., 10.6.8)

>
> > Any suggestions appreciated.

>
> --
> dorayme


Thanks for both replies. To answer your questions:

My Mac is as follows:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

There are no other accounts but mine on the system.

None of my maintenance applications indicate any repairs needed.

Running OnyX 2.3.6; have rebuilt LaunchServices and Display of
Folders' content (.DS_store files); run permissions repair. (Also with
DW.)

Both the lost icon and cranky system problems ongoing. Any thoughts?


 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-11-2012, 09:00 PM
In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Robin Henderson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On May 4, 3:51*pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > *Robin Henderson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > Just upgraded from Tiger. Many applications' icons have gone generic.
> > > (TextWrangler, Elmedia, others.) Have tried:

> >
> > > Relaunching Finder
> > > Clicking "Show preview" in View menu on and off.
> > > Running DiskWarrior
> > > Zapping the system .DS_store_ files with OnyX.

> >
> > Disk Utility indicates no repair needed?
> >
> > Did you use the Maintenance section/Rebuild or Automation section to
> > rebuild LaunchServices in Onyx? Have you got the latest Oynx?
> >
> > > This seems to have been an ongoing battle with Snow Leopard. Many
> > > complaints online, but no solutions offered. Has this issue been
> > > resolved?

> >
> > Never had a problem with this ever on Snow Leopard.
> >
> > > Also, the whole system is slow and balky; about OS 7-level performance
> > > all around,

> >
> > How is you RAM? In fact what machine are you using?
> >
> > > with lots of interminable hangs, the dastardly beach ball
> > > of death, only resolved by total reboot of the system (restarting
> > > computer)... until it starts happening again. Browsers are especially
> > > wonky (Safari and Firefox, both just upgraded; FF is the worst), and
> > > Word (2004; runs under Rosetta on the new system, i.e., 10.6.8)

> >
> > > Any suggestions appreciated.

....
> Thanks for both replies. To answer your questions:
>
> My Mac is as follows:
>
> Model Name: MacBook
> Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
> Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
> Processor Speed: 2 GHz
> Number Of Processors: 1
> Total Number Of Cores: 2
> L2 Cache: 4 MB
> Memory: 1 GB
> Bus Speed: 667 MHz
>
> There are no other accounts but mine on the system.
>
> None of my maintenance applications indicate any repairs needed.
>
> Running OnyX 2.3.6; have rebuilt LaunchServices and Display of
> Folders' content (.DS_store files); run permissions repair. (Also with
> DW.)
>
> Both the lost icon and cranky system problems ongoing. Any thoughts?


Some other thoughts:

* Create a new user account, just for testing stuff, restart and log
into the new account and see if the same bad stuff is happening.
Slowness, wonky browsers.

* Try to distinguish between what might be due to slow online
connection and what not. Be off line to test browsers (need tips on
how to do this?)

* Have you actually connected your icons with apps, at least do this
to a few test ones to watch them. Get Info panel and "always open
with" and choose etc.

* How much spare space have you got on your HD? You need a surprising
amount so the machine has a "working column" to fumble about in
(remember school maths exercise books)?

* Don't start any Microsoftware like Word for a few tests.

* You have applied the latest software update, under the apple menu?

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gawd! i hate Computers...!!! ( Snow Leopard Icons & Alias The Translucent Amoebae Apple 9 09-25-2010 10:23 PM
Snow Leopard not showing icons John Apple 5 02-24-2010 04:56 AM
Re: Test of Leopard vs. Snow Leopard MC Apple 4 10-07-2009 02:51 AM
Re: Test of Leopard vs. Snow Leopard BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Apple 2 10-06-2009 06:55 PM
Re: Test of Leopard vs. Snow Leopard Richard Maine Apple 0 10-06-2009 01:07 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:14 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment