getting the HP tc1100 wacom tablet to work under windows xpprofessional

Mike

Hello,

I'm trying to get the wacom digitizer of an HP tc1100 to work under
windows xp professional (not tablet edition). I understand that I
won't get all the features of tablet edition but my tc1100 came
without an os and I don't own a copy of tablet edition.

I've tried the driver from the hp website meant for tablet edition
found here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&swEnvOID=1059
It installed fine but produced no results.

I've also tried the generic wacom tablet pc driver from here:
http://www.wacom.com/tabletpc/driver...TOKEN=50946316
This also installed fine but had no result. I've downloaded some
older versions of the generic driver but those did not work either.

I've gotten the wacom tablet to work under windows xp professional
with a Fujitsu st4110 tablet pc with the generic wacom driver so it
seems like there should be a way for the HP tc1100 as well.

Thank you for the help.

John

On 1/14/2009 4:04:48 PM, Mike wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get the wacom digitizer of an HP tc1100 to work under
> windows xp professional (not tablet edition). I understand that I
> won't get all the features of tablet edition but my tc1100 came
> without an os and I don't own a copy of tablet edition.
>
> I've tried the driver from the hp website meant for tablet edition
> found here:
> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...wareIndex.jsp?

lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=376812&prodSeriesId=37681 0&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1059
> It installed fine but produced no results.
>
> I've also tried the generic wacom tablet pc driver from here:
> http://www.wacom.com/tabletpc/driver...TOKEN=50946316
> This also installed fine but had no result. I've downloaded some
> older versions of the generic driver but those did not work either.
>
> I've gotten the wacom tablet to work under windows xp professional
> with a Fujitsu st4110 tablet pc with the generic wacom driver so it
> seems like there should be a way for the HP tc1100 as well.
>
> Thank you for the help.

Someone else may chime in here, but I'm guessing when you say you got the
tablet to work under XP on the Fujitsu, that you got the touch interface
working, not the actual tablet bits from a normal tablet version of the OS
installed? So it functioned as a touch screen / pointing device without the
normal extras the tablet PC's see with Tablet edition?

The 1100 used the wacom digitizer rather than the finepoint one in the 1000,
so I would have expected you to at least get the mouse type use out of it.
Are there any unknown devices or anything banged out in device manager?

--
John

Mike

Thats exactly what I mean. In the fujitsu computer the digitizer
worked as a pointing device. I used 3rd party applications to replace
the tablet input panel and windows journal. This worked fine for my
needs and I was happy with it. Having the wacom digitizer work as a
pointing device is all I wish to accomplish on the hp tc1100 computer.

In the device manager I see:

Under Human Interface Devices-
HID compliant consumer control device
HID compliant device
USB human interface device
Virtual keyboard driver
virtual media keys
wacom HID digitizer
wacom HID pen
wacom ISD HID minidriver
wacom virtual HID driver

Under Mice and other pointing devices-
HID compliant mouse
wacom mouse

all these devices say they are functioning properly. I can click the
Pen Tablet Properties icon in the control panel and adjust all the
settings for the pen. Just nothing happens when I bring the pen to
the screen.

Mike

Actually I forgot what you were asking.

There's one unknown device, it says:

Device type: other devices
Manufacturer: unknown
Location: on intel 82801DBM LPC interface controller

could this be the culprit?

Mike

I clicked update driver for the previously mentioned unknown device
and selected the "intel 82801DBM LPC interface controller 24CC
(intel)" driver from the list. wacom digitizer still does not work.

Mike

Tried reinstalling wacom driver, and success!

Thank you.

John

On 1/16/2009 11:47:11 AM, Mike wrote:
> Tried reinstalling wacom driver, and success!
>
> Thank you.

Glad to hear you were able to beat it into submission. Sometimes they just
gotta be shown whose boss.

--
John

Rainald Taesler

Mike wrote:

> I'm trying to get the wacom digitizer of an HP tc1100 to work under
> windows xp professional (not tablet edition). I understand that I
> won't get all the features of tablet edition but my tc1100 came
> without an os and I don't own a copy of tablet edition.

I'm glad to see that you could solve the problem with the Wacom driver.

Still I think that you loose ways to much when working with the
"standard" XP instead of the TabletPC edition.

Therefore - if you want to stay with XP - call the HP hotline and ask if
they still have the system (recovery) CDs available. If so you could get
them for a nominal fee.

The other - as to my experience better - option would be to install
Vista.
It has everything needed built-in.
I did so with my tc1100 almost a year ago and I'm very happy that I did
it.
Vista has improved TabletPC functionality and works really well.
Although HP does not offer any support and no drivers for the tc1100 and
Vista, following a comprehensive paper on how to go [1], I got all of
the functionality to work.

Rainald
[1]
http://tabletwiki.com/mpc/index.php?...allation_Notes