Getting an IP from Linksys router

2minutehate

I've got a Linksys BEFW11S4 router that works fine. What I would like to
do, though, is to be able to assign my PowerBook a static local IP--
something like 192.168.1.123. I get my real IP via DHCP. How would I go
about doing this? I'm mainly looking to doing this to make connecting to
IRC networks that require ident (or whatever it's called), which uses
port 113-- which needs to be forwarded to the internal IP changing PB--,
easier. (Meaning I won't have to look up my internal IP everytime I want
to connect to IRC; it'll always be 192.168.1.123).

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
2minutehate <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've got a Linksys BEFW11S4 router that works fine. What I would like to
> do, though, is to be able to assign my PowerBook a static local IP--
> something like 192.168.1.123. I get my real IP via DHCP. How would I go
> about doing this? I'm mainly looking to doing this to make connecting to
> IRC networks that require ident (or whatever it's called), which uses
> port 113-- which needs to be forwarded to the internal IP changing PB--,
> easier. (Meaning I won't have to look up my internal IP everytime I want
> to connect to IRC; it'll always be 192.168.1.123).

In the Network system preferences, change "Configure using DHCP" to
"Configure Manually", and set the IP address that you want to use.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Mats Weber

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Barry Margolin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In the Network system preferences, change "Configure using DHCP" to
>"Configure Manually", and set the IP address that you want to use.

I think, but I am not sure, that it is better to use "DHCP with manual
address" (or something to that effect) instead of fully manual
configuration. Maybe someone who knows better can confirm ?

2minutehate

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Tacit) wrote:

> >I've got a Linksys BEFW11S4 router that works fine. What I would like to
> >do, though, is to be able to assign my PowerBook a static local IP--
> >something like 192.168.1.123.

> Change the network prefpane setting (OS X) or TCP/IP control panel (OS 9) to
> "manually" instead of "DHCP".
>
> In the IP address space, put "192.168.1.123".
>
> For the Subnet Mask, use "255.255.255.0".
>
> For the gateway address, use "192.168.1.1".
>
> That's it! You're done.

Well, I implement those steps and then I get "server cannot be found"
errors in Firefox (and Safari for that matter). I tried both vanilla
"manually" and "DHCP with manual address." Airport's still at full
strength, though. Does it have anything to do with me connecting
wirelessly rather than just straight into the router via Cat5?

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
2minutehate <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Tacit) wrote:
>
> > >I've got a Linksys BEFW11S4 router that works fine. What I would like to
> > >do, though, is to be able to assign my PowerBook a static local IP--
> > >something like 192.168.1.123.

> > Change the network prefpane setting (OS X) or TCP/IP control panel (OS 9) to
> > "manually" instead of "DHCP".
> >
> > In the IP address space, put "192.168.1.123".
> >
> > For the Subnet Mask, use "255.255.255.0".
> >
> > For the gateway address, use "192.168.1.1".
> >
> > That's it! You're done.

> Well, I implement those steps and then I get "server cannot be found"
> errors in Firefox (and Safari for that matter). I tried both vanilla
> "manually" and "DHCP with manual address." Airport's still at full
> strength, though. Does it have anything to do with me connecting
> wirelessly rather than just straight into the router via Cat5?

You may also need to manually configure your DNS server address.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Bob Harris

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
2minutehate <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Tacit) wrote:
>
> > >I've got a Linksys BEFW11S4 router that works fine. What I would like to
> > >do, though, is to be able to assign my PowerBook a static local IP--
> > >something like 192.168.1.123.

> > Change the network prefpane setting (OS X) or TCP/IP control panel (OS 9) to
> > "manually" instead of "DHCP".
> >
> > In the IP address space, put "192.168.1.123".
> >
> > For the Subnet Mask, use "255.255.255.0".
> >
> > For the gateway address, use "192.168.1.1".
> >
> > That's it! You're done.

> Well, I implement those steps and then I get "server cannot be found"
> errors in Firefox (and Safari for that matter). I tried both vanilla
> "manually" and "DHCP with manual address." Airport's still at full
> strength, though. Does it have anything to do with me connecting
> wirelessly rather than just straight into the router via Cat5?

Most likely reasons is that the DNS did not get distributed to your Mac.
In the network preferences on the Mac, specify the primary and secondary
DNS address from your ISP.

Bob Harris

2minutehate

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Barry Margolin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> 2minutehate <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Change the network prefpane setting (OS X) or TCP/IP control panel (OS 9)
> > > "manually" instead of "DHCP".
> > >
> > > In the IP address space, put "192.168.1.123".
> > >
> > > For the Subnet Mask, use "255.255.255.0".
> > >
> > > For the gateway address, use "192.168.1.1".
> > >
> > > That's it! You're done.

> > Well, I implement those steps and then I get "server cannot be found"
> > errors in Firefox (and Safari for that matter). I tried both vanilla
> > "manually" and "DHCP with manual address." Airport's still at full
> > strength, though. Does it have anything to do with me connecting
> > wirelessly rather than just straight into the router via Cat5?

> You may also need to manually configure your DNS server address.

/me Slaps forehead
Yup, that did the trick. Thanks a bunch.

Acid Pooh

2minutehate <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Tacit) wrote:
>
> > >I've got a Linksys BEFW11S4 router that works fine. What I would like to
> > >do, though, is to be able to assign my PowerBook a static local IP--
> > >something like 192.168.1.123.

> > Change the network prefpane setting (OS X) or TCP/IP control panel (OS 9) to
> > "manually" instead of "DHCP".
> >
> > In the IP address space, put "192.168.1.123".
> >
> > For the Subnet Mask, use "255.255.255.0".
> >
> > For the gateway address, use "192.168.1.1".
> >
> > That's it! You're done.

> Well, I implement those steps and then I get "server cannot be found"
> errors in Firefox (and Safari for that matter). I tried both vanilla
> "manually" and "DHCP with manual address." Airport's still at full
> strength, though. Does it have anything to do with me connecting
> wirelessly rather than just straight into the router via Cat5?

No.

What I suggest is that you set your preferences back to DCHP and
connect to http://192.168.0.0 or http://192.168.0.1. Most of these
new routers have built-in web based configuration tools which you can
use to set up all sorts of stuff, including DHCP. My (non-Linksys,
unfortunately) router is set up to always assign the same IP to each
computer on my network (it's based on MAC address, I believe)

'cid 'ooh