Getting Low Fan Speed From Matrox Parhelia 256 AGP

justin david

Does this mean the fan is dying, or could there be a problem with the
board itself?

Richard Hopkins

"justin david" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message...
> Does this mean the fan is dying, or could there be a problem
> with the board itself?

Far more likely to be the fan than the board. Could simply mean that the fan
either needs a clean or a drop of oil in its bearings.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

justin david

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 15:12:02 -0000, "Richard Hopkins"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"justin david" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message...
>> Does this mean the fan is dying, or could there be a problem
>> with the board itself?

>Far more likely to be the fan than the board. Could simply mean that the fan
>either needs a clean or a drop of oil in its bearings.

Thanks for the reply. I removed the fan and gave it a thorough
cleaning and a shot of silicone- I hope that will be the end of it. If
needed, do you think Matrox would sell me a fan for the Parhelia? I
don't need the square metal heatsink since the fan removes from it via
three screws. One of my more esoteric friends has informed me that
electronic and mechanical things tend to frazzle while Mercury is
retrograde...

Junior Member

Hi from Berlin,

Last week, I started to get a popup warning that identified itself only as "FanAlert v1.00.017 - No driver installed [01:00]". (See attached image "fan_alert03.jpg)

I had no idea what was going on and let the progress bar run; it actually put my computer into sleep mode!

Coincidentally(?), my CPU heatsink fan had started to make noise the previous day (a problem I'd had before), so I thought that was the actual issue.

Even more confusing was that the program "FanSpeed" indicated my case fans seemed to be OK. (See attached image "fan_alert02.jpg)

Only through the help of someone in another forum to which I belong was I able to discover that it was from the Matrox card. I replaced the graphics card and the warning disappeared.

I've contacted Matrox and made the recommendation that they indicate on the warning that the problem indeed stems from the graphics card and not another fan in the system.

Strangely enough, there wasn't a single hit in Google that mentions this particular warning, or a "FanAlarm" at all. I was sort of wondering how the person who started this thread knew the problem originated from the Matrox card.

In making this post, I actually just wanted to get this information on the Web. I hope I can help a future "unsuspecting victim".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fan_alert03.jpg (53.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg fan_alert02.jpg (96.7 KB, 13 views)

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg View Post
[...]

Thanks. I have the same problem.