Getting Rid Of Permissions?

aryder

Only one person uses my computer--me! I'm tired of it asking me for
passwords to change anything all the time. Anyway to stop it from
doing this? I'm using 10.3 on a MAC G5. Thanks!

Adam

On Aug 8, 12:20 pm, aryder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Only one person uses my computer--me!

Do you like that feature? Passwords help keep it that way.

The Natural Philosopher

aryder wrote:
> Only one person uses my computer--me! I'm tired of it asking me for
> passwords to change anything all the time. Anyway to stop it from
> doing this? I'm using 10.3 on a MAC G5. Thanks!

you can't eliminate it, but you can set a null password.

aryder

What is a null password, and how do you do that? Thanks!

On Aug 8, 4:41 pm, aryder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What is a null password, and how do you do that? Thanks!
>
> > you can't eliminate it, but you can set a null password.

You could set the password to be blank. Then when the dialogs come
up, all you would have to do is hit return.

But - unless you never connect to the internet - that's a bad idea.
Even if your computer is a desktop at your house. Is it possible
there is a configuration problem at your end? I don't get asked for
my password enough to really bother me that much - only when I am
installing global control panels or updating software via the software
updater.

The Natural Philosopher

Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2007-08-08 18:11:34 -0500, The Natural Philosopher <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> aryder wrote:
>>> Only one person uses my computer--me! I'm tired of it asking me for
>>> passwords to change anything all the time. Anyway to stop it from
>>> doing this? I'm using 10.3 on a MAC G5. Thanks!
>>>

>> you can't eliminate it, but you can set a null password.

> Yeah, great advice there...

Why thank you. I think it is really.

Its as near to the OP's requirements as its possible to get, and unlike
your post, addresses the issue without patronising the crap out of him
on specious grounds.

I've already told you that there are two Macs here both set up that way.
I challenged you to hack them, and you simply didn't answer.

Clever Monkey

aryder wrote:
> Only one person uses my computer--me! I'm tired of it asking me for
> passwords to change anything all the time. Anyway to stop it from
> doing this? I'm using 10.3 on a MAC G5. Thanks!

Apple Support has an article on opening your computer wide open to
everyone. Knock yourself out.

Real computers ask for credentials to do certain tasks. You can control
what those certain tasks are to some degree.
--
clvrmnky <(E-Mail Removed)>

Direct replies will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap" with my name to
contact me directly.

The New Guy

> Only one person uses my computer--me! I'm tired of it asking me for
> passwords to change anything all the time. Anyway to stop it from
> doing this? I'm using 10.3 on a MAC G5. Thanks!

Apple has this in place (and has used it for many years) because it
works.

The way of making it less inconvenient is to use a password that is
very, very easy to type with your non-mouse hand.

The Natural Philosopher

The New Guy wrote:
>> Only one person uses my computer--me! I'm tired of it asking me for
>> passwords to change anything all the time. Anyway to stop it from
>> doing this? I'm using 10.3 on a MAC G5. Thanks!

> Apple has this in place (and has used it for many years) because it
> works.
>
> The way of making it less inconvenient is to use a password that is
> very, very easy to type with your non-mouse hand.

A null works very well.