GF 3 Opinion?

Hades

Hi,

I had a GF3 for a couple years now, thought I would upgrade. I bought a FX
5900 and sent it back.

Although the FX 5900 ran benchmarks visibly faster and came in with higher
scores, I have not seen a difference over my GF3 in playing games.
Especially HALO which I took off my computer because it seems to run like
**** no matter what. Other games which have more detail and more action on
the screen (Unreal Anything) run smooth as can be.

So my question is, Anybody else using a GF3 and think it is good enough?
After all when DOOM 3 was first supposed to come out, they say it would run
fine on a GF3.

SpaceWalker

Amazing...

The GF3 was a very good card but in no way a match to the 5900... If you did
not see a difference in game then you must have really screwed up. Games
should have played faster and you could have set the visuals higher than you
could have with the GF3. Even if you ran the card on the same CPU, unless
it's a seriously underpowered CPU, it would run faster.

BTW, I ran a GF3 and now run an ATI 9500PRO, which I got becouse at it's
prime, There was nothing better for the price. I've been using nVidia since
my first Riva128.

"Hades" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:USa2c.53$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I had a GF3 for a couple years now, thought I would upgrade. I bought a
> FX
> 5900 and sent it back.
>
> Although the FX 5900 ran benchmarks visibly faster and came in with higher
> scores, I have not seen a difference over my GF3 in playing games.
> Especially HALO which I took off my computer because it seems to run like
> **** no matter what. Other games which have more detail and more action
> on
> the screen (Unreal Anything) run smooth as can be.
>
> So my question is, Anybody else using a GF3 and think it is good enough?
> After all when DOOM 3 was first supposed to come out, they say it would
> run
> fine on a GF3.

neopolaris

I'm pretty sure his does all that. I just went through the same thing. My
ti200 is just not slow yet. I'm running a KT6 and an XP2500 10.5x215.
11,000 3Dmark02. I was still playing 1942 using 32-bit and 1024x768 all
graphics max. Ran good....I received my 5900 on Tuesday. If there wasn't a
15% restocking fee + shipping it might have gone back. Sure it's faster.
It's starting to grow on me now. Overclocks well. I noticed a huge
increase in eye candy when I reinstalled that Painkiller demo. wow. Got
5700 "even" in 3Dmark03-had about 1000 with the ti200 for what that matters.
Ya know, if these damn games would just get here alot of us could figure out
what the heck we need. Buyers remorse-I dunno. Miss my ti200? yup.
wierd ain't it.

SpaceWalker wrote:
> Amazing...
>
> The GF3 was a very good card but in no way a match to the 5900... If
> you did not see a difference in game then you must have really
> screwed up. Games should have played faster and you could have set
> the visuals higher than you could have with the GF3. Even if you ran
> the card on the same CPU, unless it's a seriously underpowered CPU,
> it would run faster.
>
> BTW, I ran a GF3 and now run an ATI 9500PRO, which I got becouse at
> it's prime, There was nothing better for the price. I've been using
> nVidia since my first Riva128.
>
> "Hades" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:USa2c.53$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had a GF3 for a couple years now, thought I would upgrade. I
>> bought a FX
>> 5900 and sent it back.
>>
>> Although the FX 5900 ran benchmarks visibly faster and came in with
>> higher scores, I have not seen a difference over my GF3 in playing
>> games. Especially HALO which I took off my computer because it seems
>> to run like **** no matter what. Other games which have more detail
>> and more action on
>> the screen (Unreal Anything) run smooth as can be.
>>
>> So my question is, Anybody else using a GF3 and think it is good
>> enough? After all when DOOM 3 was first supposed to come out, they
>> say it would run
>> fine on a GF3.

Hades

The rest of my system thats counts is:

XP 3000
FIC AU13 mobo
3 sticks mushkin PC 2700 512MB each
Win XP Pro

SpaceWalker

HADES,

You are definately not CPU limited. But don't count on that GF3 to play
games like Doom3, Half Life2, Far Cry, UT 2004, at max settings with all the
eye candy turned on...

My 9500PRO plays most resent games fairly well, but i would gladly up grade
to either a 5900 or a 9800 if i had the money...

I'm running a P4 2.0 and so far it pairs up nicely with the 9500pro..

"Hades" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Vvc2c.448$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> The rest of my system thats counts is:
>
> XP 3000
> FIC AU13 mobo
> 3 sticks mushkin PC 2700 512MB each
> Win XP Pro

John Lewis

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 02:40:52 GMT, "Hades" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I had a GF3 for a couple years now, thought I would upgrade. I bought a FX
>5900 and sent it back.
>
>Although the FX 5900 ran benchmarks visibly faster and came in with higher
>scores, I have not seen a difference over my GF3 in playing games.
>Especially HALO which I took off my computer because it seems to run like
>**** no matter what. Other games which have more detail and more action on
>the screen (Unreal Anything) run smooth as can be.

Sorry, not the FX5900's problem.

You failed to tell us the most important facts.

What CPU ? What memory type and size ? What OS? What motherboard ?

John Lewis

>So my question is, Anybody else using a GF3 and think it is good enough?
>After all when DOOM 3 was first supposed to come out, they say it would run
>fine on a GF3.

Darthy

wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I had a GF3 for a couple years now, thought I would upgrade. I bought a FX
>5900 and sent it back.

How premature... why ask after the fact?

>Although the FX 5900 ran benchmarks visibly faster and came in with higher
>scores, I have not seen a difference over my GF3 in playing games.
>Especially HALO which I took off my computer because it seems to run like
>**** no matter what. Other games which have more detail and more action on
>the screen (Unreal Anything) run smooth as can be.

1 - HALO is a crap engine.
2 - You may have OTHER issues as to why the 5900 wasn't much faster
than your GF3.

3 - Considering that I have the faster GF4Ti4200 and an ATI9800Pro (in
the same class as the 5900) the ATI totally smokes my Ti4200 in FPS
and DETAILS. Read one of my posts below about UT2004. The 5900
should looks pretty much the same as the ATI9800.

Halo looks only a little better on a true DX9 card... HALo is crappy
game tech.

>So my question is, Anybody else using a GF3 and think it is good enough?
>After all when DOOM 3 was first supposed to come out, they say it would run
>fine on a GF3.

If UT2004 brings a Ti4200 to its knees in FULL DETAIL to under 10fps
(and still not match the visual quality of my ATI9800) - trust me....
your GF3 will kill itself on Doom3 and Half Life2.

>XP 3000
>FIC AU13 mobo
>3 sticks mushkin PC 2700 512MB each

Good CPU horse power, but other problems will hurt your performance...
drivers, spyware, ad-ware, crapware (AIM, etc) and who knows what.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!