Ghosting Recovery Partition

chevy

Got a Compaq s6010V with a bad motherboard. Didn't get a chance to make the
recovery disks before it went down. Put the Hard drive in another system to
back up the hard drive. I used Norton Ghost to clone both partitions, the
main partition with the OS and the recovery partition.
I would like to make the recovery CD's. Can this be done from the image of
the partitions? Can this even be done from the original hard drive in
another system. Since the recovery disk can only be made once, I'd prefer to
make them from the ghosted image and leave the original recovery files in
tact (in case I get the system running and could make another recovery disk
if needed). Hope I didn't confuse you there.

Here is what I've done so far:
On the ghosted image of the main partition with the OS I went into the
Windows file, opened the CREATOR file and found the CD Creator application
and started the Recovery CD making process. It will go through the whole
process and start burning. During the burning process (DVD) it will complete
about 25% of the burning and stop. Gave some kind of error in the burning
process. Can't get any farther than this. Thsi work is being done on an
External hard drive. My guess would be during the burning process it need
some info from the mother board or bios to burn. Since there is no mother
board it can't finish.

I was able to make a copy of the Recovery Tools CD.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

- Bobb -

"chevy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5s44i.260754$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Got a Compaq s6010V with a bad motherboard. Didn't get a chance to
> make the recovery disks before it went down.

If you bought it at retail - I'd just bring it back to store/vendor for
replacement and not mess with it at all !

Having said that ... when I bought HP laptop I checked into ghosting
first and was told ( here I believe) that ghosting wouldn't help - once
I created the DVD's ( not CDs) there was no way of restoring that image
to do it again. And it had to run from their script, which then - does
something - to the drive to prevent DVD creation again. Apparently they
went out of their way to be sure that one and only one set of backup
media could be created - and it would only restore to that system. So if
you did make it on "system X" , it would only restore to "system X" -
not doing you any good on this box.

If I could correct your wording ... it's not a "partition" that you're
trying to save.
It's a set of instructions that will turn their factory-saved / encryted
file into bootable media.

Good Luck.
Bobb

> Put the Hard drive in another system to back up the hard drive. I used
> Norton Ghost to clone both partitions, the main partition with the OS
> and the recovery partition.
> I would like to make the recovery CD's. Can this be done from the
> image of the partitions? Can this even be done from the original hard
> drive in another system. Since the recovery disk can only be made
> once, I'd prefer to make them from the ghosted image and leave the
> original recovery files in tact (in case I get the system running and
> could make another recovery disk if needed). Hope I didn't confuse you
> there.
>
> Here is what I've done so far:
> On the ghosted image of the main partition with the OS I went into the
> Windows file, opened the CREATOR file and found the CD Creator
> application and started the Recovery CD making process. It will go
> through the whole process and start burning. During the burning
> process (DVD) it will complete about 25% of the burning and stop. Gave
> some kind of error in the burning process. Can't get any farther than
> this. Thsi work is being done on an External hard drive. My guess
> would be during the burning process it need some info from the mother
> board or bios to burn. Since there is no mother board it can't finish.
>
> I was able to make a copy of the Recovery Tools CD.
> Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jsut bought a new Hard Drive. How do I copy both XP partition and Recovery Partition onto the new HD? lee Compaq 1 08-01-2006 10:33 AM
Ghosting Thinkpads with hidden partition MacAddict IBM Thinkpad 5 07-13-2006 05:31 PM
Ghosting Laptops Art Vandolay Compaq 4 08-04-2004 07:09 AM
Recovery partition of Thinkpad T23 > making recovery CD out of it? Slashed Zero Laptops 0 01-15-2004 12:57 AM
Dell Ultrasharp 1901FP TFT screen.. ghosting in games? eko Dell 4 11-28-2003 11:11 AM