Gigabyte Ga-P35-DS3R motherboard and Samsung SH-S203N DVD burner

Z.K.

I have a GA-P35-DS3R motherboard and I just bought a new Samsung
SH-S203N Sata DVD burner. I finally was able to get the Sata Burner to
work in Windows XP by disabling the SATA RAID/AHCI mode which makes the
sata drives act like IDE drives. Before that I could read okay, but
received errors whenever writing to a CD or DVD. Now, though it works
in Windows XP, it will not work in Linux. I get similar errors as I did
in Windows XP before I modified the bios. Does anyone know if Linux and
Ubuntu in particular support Sata DVD drives or am I going to have to
buy a Sata to IDE adapter to get this DVD burner to work in both
operating systems? It would have been nice since it is a Sata drive
that it would work in Sata mode, but oh well. I won't buy a Sata DVD
burner again; at least not for a while.

Z.K.

Z.K.

Z.K. wrote:
> I have a GA-P35-DS3R motherboard and I just bought a new Samsung
> SH-S203N Sata DVD burner. I finally was able to get the Sata Burner to
> work in Windows XP by disabling the SATA RAID/AHCI mode which makes the
> sata drives act like IDE drives. Before that I could read okay, but
> received errors whenever writing to a CD or DVD. Now, though it works
> in Windows XP, it will not work in Linux. I get similar errors as I did
> in Windows XP before I modified the bios. Does anyone know if Linux and
> Ubuntu in particular support Sata DVD drives or am I going to have to
> buy a Sata to IDE adapter to get this DVD burner to work in both
> operating systems? It would have been nice since it is a Sata drive
> that it would work in Sata mode, but oh well. I won't buy a Sata DVD
> burner again; at least not for a while.
>
> Z.K.

Never mind, I finally got it to work. Actually it was quite simple and
I should have thought of it. The auto mode on the software in linux was
not set properly and was trying to burn it at a faster speed than the
DVD was capable of. Anyway, it now works in both Windows and Linux.

Z.K