Gigabyte P35-DS3P

bornfree

Where is the ram frequency on this mobo bios? I am looking in the
M.I.T. section and can't see it at all.

bornfree

On 19 Jan, 00:49, bornfree <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Where is the ram frequency on this mobo bios? I am looking in the
> M.I.T. section and can't see it at all.

Well I see it, but it is greyed out.

bornfree

On 19 Jan, 01:11, bornfree <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 19 Jan, 00:49, bornfree <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Where is the ram frequency on this mobo bios? I am looking in the
> > M.I.T. section and can't see it at all.

> Well I see it, but it is greyed out.

Ok nevermind. I'm a doofus. (apparently the way to overclock these
boards is by using the DRAM multi.)

I have an Intel E6300 (1.86Ghz stock) with my Gigabyte P35-DS3P. Can
anyone recommend a good starting overclock?

"bornfree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 19 Jan, 01:11, bornfree <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On 19 Jan, 00:49, bornfree <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > Where is the ram frequency on this mobo bios? I am looking in the
> > > M.I.T. section and can't see it at all.

> > Well I see it, but it is greyed out.

> Ok nevermind. I'm a doofus. (apparently the way to overclock these
> boards is by using the DRAM multi.)
>
> I have an Intel E6300 (1.86Ghz stock) with my Gigabyte P35-DS3P. Can
> anyone recommend a good starting overclock?

1.87GHz ;-)

Seriously, even though it's a different motherboard, read through
this info on bios settings, voltages etc:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...o-e6300_8.html

The cpu itself is a good overclocker, but you may run into other
limiting factors far short of what it's capable of.

Fishface

bornfree wrote:
> Where is the ram frequency on this mobo bios? I am looking in the
> M.I.T. section and can't see it at all.

Like the rest of the Gigabyte boards I've seen, it's probably hidden
to annoy and confound users. After first entering the BIOS setup,
press <Ctrl> + F1 and one of the menus will have more advanced
tweaking options.
http://hardwarelogic.com/news/132/AR...007-08-17.html

bornfree

Fishface wrote:
> bornfree wrote:
> > Where is the ram frequency on this mobo bios? I am looking in the
> > M.I.T. section and can't see it at all.

> Like the rest of the Gigabyte boards I've seen, it's probably hidden
> to annoy and confound users. After first entering the BIOS setup,
> press <Ctrl> + F1 and one of the menus will have more advanced
> tweaking options.
> http://hardwarelogic.com/news/132/AR...007-08-17.html

Ok I have worked the FSB(?) up to 300, and let the bios decide what
was best for the ram. It set it to 750.

Running nice. A bit faster. Hotter, but cooler is ok. Stable so far..
will run prime tonight.

CPUID still reports my clock speed to be 1.86 under "specification"
though .

Fishface

bornfree wrote:

> CPUID still reports my clock speed to be 1.86 under "specification"
> though .

If SpeedStep is enabled, it will automatically slow down under load.
Some report higher overclocks when this is disabled, as it lowers the
voltage (vCore) also. Check it with a load.

Which CPU do you have? If multi-core, sure it is stressing all cores by
checking the performance tab of Windows Task Manager, assuming you
are running Windows, of course. I just use this:
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...rime_2004.html

....which runs two instances of Prime95 torture test. I need to run two
instances of Orthos for the Quad core, though. Shaun posted that he
found a Prime95 version on www.MajorGeeks.com which is ver 25.5.
that would stress all cores. I was a little suspicious that it wasn't found
on the official website, so I didn't download it.
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

bornfree

On 19 Jan, 22:43, "Fishface" <(E-Mail Removed)?> wrote:
> bornfree wrote:
> > CPUID still reports my clock speed to be 1.86 under "specification"
> > though .

> If SpeedStep is enabled, it will automatically slow down under load.
> Some report higher overclocks when this is disabled, as it lowers the
> voltage (vCore) also. Check it with a load.
>
> Which CPU do you have?

E6300. 2 cores.

See this pic it shows my system as defined by CPU ID and prime95.
http://i1.tinypic.com/6ww5qht.png

RobV

Fishface wrote:
> bornfree wrote:
>
>> CPUID still reports my clock speed to be 1.86 under "specification"
>> though .

> If SpeedStep is enabled, it will automatically slow down under load.
> Some report higher overclocks when this is disabled, as it lowers the
> voltage (vCore) also. Check it with a load.
>
> Which CPU do you have? If multi-core, sure it is stressing all cores
> by checking the performance tab of Windows Task Manager, assuming you
> are running Windows, of course. I just use this:
> http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...rime_2004.html

Thanks for the link. It does make up for the features Prime95 lacks.

> ...which runs two instances of Prime95 torture test. I need to run
> two instances of Orthos for the Quad core, though. Shaun posted that
> he found a Prime95 version on www.MajorGeeks.com which is ver 25.5.
> that would stress all cores. I was a little suspicious that it
> wasn't found on the official website, so I didn't download it.
> http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

I've been using Prime95 ver 25.5 for a while and it looks as if it's
simply a crude version of what OSP is. It has a main window, two
windows within, one for each core, and it runs the same tests as regular
Prime95 and OSP. I'll certainly use OSP from now on because it does
have all the features that Prime95 lack, all versions included.

bornfree

On 19 Jan, 22:43, "Fishface" <(E-Mail Removed)?> wrote:
> bornfree wrote:
> > CPUID still reports my clock speed to be 1.86 under "specification"
> > though .

> If SpeedStep is enabled, it will automatically slow down under load.
> Some report higher overclocks when this is disabled, as it lowers the
> voltage (vCore) also. Check it with a load.
>
> Which CPU do you have? If multi-core, sure it is stressing all cores by
> checking the performance tab of Windows Task Manager,

Orthos running + Windows Performace tab + temps.

http://i11.tinypic.com/850vlts.png

CPU got a bit hot. (Idle temp around 54/55)

Gigabyte Gigabyte NX7600GT does it come with a Din to component adaptor ? Home Theatre Guy Gigabyte 0 10-21-2006 07:38 AM
Gigabyte Gigabyte NX7600GT does it come with a Din to component adaptor ? Home Theatre Guy Nvidia 0 10-21-2006 07:37 AM
Gigabyte or Abit or Asus ColBlip Abit 7 03-23-2005 08:07 PM
Gigabyte NF4 review df Abit 4 12-03-2004 02:35 AM
Gigabyte GA 81TXE or Abit TH7II (no raid) motherboard blackgold Abit 0 11-25-2003 06:34 AM