Gigabyte SLI- F7H BIOS

Richard Dower

JBAZ

Richard Dower Wrote:
> http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList...3/k8nxpsli.f7h

Thanks for the post Richard,

Do you know what this bios fixes? I'm having a problem with my MB bio
not detecting my non-raid SATA drive on soft reboots.

Has anyone had better luck with the F7H bios over the F6 bios

--
JBAZ

Rob Nicholson

> Do you know what this bios fixes? I'm having a problem with my MB bios
> not detecting my non-raid SATA drive on soft reboots.

Is the SATA logic part of the nForce chipset? Only reason I ask is that I'm
watching the ASUS newsgroup and a lot of the problems over there with SLI
based motherboards are to do with SATA.

Cheers, Rob.

JBAZ

Rob Nicholson Wrote:
> Do you know what this bios fixes? I'm having a problem with my M
> bios-
> not detecting my non-raid SATA drive on soft reboots.-
>
> Is the SATA logic part of the nForce chipset? Only reason I ask is tha
> I'm
> watching the ASUS newsgroup and a lot of the problems over there wit
> SLI
> based motherboards are to do with SATA.
>
> Cheers, Rob.

On the Gigabyte I believe 4 of the 8 are controlled by the NF4 chipset
The 4 SATA II ports are controlled by the Nvidia nf4 chipset and th
other 4 SATA I ports are controlled by the SIL 3114 onboard chip.

To be honest, I think most of the problems aren't with the NF4 board
or thier BIOS. They are problems related to user error and poor manua
documentation. The BIOS can be a little tricky to setup properly an
the Gigabyte user manual is woefully inadequate in explaining how t
set up a single non-raid SATA drive. The Gigabyte comes with the RAI
functions enabled so if your not using RAID you have to make sure an
disable ALL of the RAID functions. With a little trial and error I'v
been able to figure out the proper settings and now my MB is stable an
recognizing my SATA drive every time on soft and hard bootup

--
JBAZ

BillL

"JBAZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Rob Nicholson Wrote:
>> Do you know what this bios fixes? I'm having a problem with my MB
>> bios-
>> not detecting my non-raid SATA drive on soft reboots.-
>>
>> Is the SATA logic part of the nForce chipset? Only reason I ask is that
>> I'm
>> watching the ASUS newsgroup and a lot of the problems over there with
>> SLI
>> based motherboards are to do with SATA.
>>
>> Cheers, Rob.

> On the Gigabyte I believe 4 of the 8 are controlled by the NF4 chipset.
> The 4 SATA II ports are controlled by the Nvidia nf4 chipset and the
> other 4 SATA I ports are controlled by the SIL 3114 onboard chip.
>
> To be honest, I think most of the problems aren't with the NF4 boards
> or thier BIOS. They are problems related to user error and poor manual
> documentation. The BIOS can be a little tricky to setup properly and
> the Gigabyte user manual is woefully inadequate in explaining how to
> set up a single non-raid SATA drive. The Gigabyte comes with the RAID
> functions enabled so if your not using RAID you have to make sure and
> disable ALL of the RAID functions. With a little trial and error I've
> been able to figure out the proper settings and now my MB is stable and
> recognizing my SATA drive every time on soft and hard bootup.
>

> --
> JBAZ

I'm also getting SATA (Maxtor Diamond Max 250 GB) disc failures of soft
reboots. I don't think its how the boards been setup & I have decent
components (e.g. OCZ 520 watt PSU, Crucial Ballistix PC4000 RAM etc.). I did
have problems initially (the default RAID setup *is* a pain) but the errors
occur despite disabling all the RAID functions.

BillL

JBAZ

BillL Wrote:
> "JBAZ" (E-Mail Removed) wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...-
>
> Rob Nicholson Wrote:-
> Do you know what this bios fixes? I'm having a problem with my MB
> bios-
> not detecting my non-raid SATA drive on soft reboots.-
>
> Is the SATA logic part of the nForce chipset? Only reason I ask i
> that
> I'm
> watching the ASUS newsgroup and a lot of the problems over there with
> SLI
> based motherboards are to do with SATA.
>
> Cheers, Rob.-
>
> On the Gigabyte I believe 4 of the 8 are controlled by the NF
> chipset.
> The 4 SATA II ports are controlled by the Nvidia nf4 chipset and the
> other 4 SATA I ports are controlled by the SIL 3114 onboard chip.
>
> To be honest, I think most of the problems aren't with the NF4 boards
> or thier BIOS. They are problems related to user error and poo
> manual
> documentation. The BIOS can be a little tricky to setup properly and
> the Gigabyte user manual is woefully inadequate in explaining how to
> set up a single non-raid SATA drive. The Gigabyte comes with th
> RAID
> functions enabled so if your not using RAID you have to make sure and
> disable ALL of the RAID functions. With a little trial and erro
> I've
> been able to figure out the proper settings and now my MB is stabl
> and
> recognizing my SATA drive every time on soft and hard bootup.
>

> --
> JBAZ-
>
> I'm also getting SATA (Maxtor Diamond Max 250 GB) disc failures o
> soft
> reboots. I don't think its how the boards been setup & I have decent
> components (e.g. OCZ 520 watt PSU, Crucial Ballistix PC4000 RAM etc.)
> I did
> have problems initially (the default RAID setup *is* a pain) but th
> errors
> occur despite disabling all the RAID functions.
>
> BillL

Well I thought I had resolved the issue. For two days my GA-K8NXP-SL
recognized my SATA drive on soft bootup. But, this morning it stoppe
recognizing it again on restarts. Very Odd....
I emailed Gigabyte on Monday regarding the problem and they got back t
me yesterday (wednesday) with the response attached below.
After reading the reply I'm wondering how installing RAID drivers i
going to help my system when I'm not using the RAID function.

Has anyone out there solved the SATA drive soft boot issue?

Gigabyte's Technical Service Response:

"Hello,

Please follow the steps below to install Windows XP or Windows 2k o
the Nvidia SATA Raid function:
First, you need the motherboard driver CD, a blank floppy diskette, an
a working PC to create a driver disk.

1. Place the motherboard CD into a working PC.

2. Place the blank floppy into the floppy drive.

3. On the motherboard CD, go to " BOOTDRV" folder, and to "Menu" file
double click on the "menu" file, and choose the driver that you need t
make by pressing the number /letter key. For instance, if you want t
create a NVIDIA native RAID driver disk, and the correspondence optio
for the driver is letter "E", all you need to do is insert a goo
floppy diskett to floppy drive then press "E” on the keyboard, and th
PC will copy the driver files onto the diskette for you automatically

Start to load windows , Boot system up with the Windows CD on CDro
when SETUP screen shows press F6 after windows loaded basic drivers
message prompted press S key to specify special driver,press S key an
inset the floppy disk that has the “NVIDIA RAID class driver” an
“Nvidia Nforce Storage Controller” driver load the Nvidia classic Rai
classic driver first then press S again load the Nvidia Nforce storag
controller driver ( need to load two drivers)
follow the instructions on the monitor to complete the O/
installation. After the O/S is installed, install the mother drivers b
placing the mother driver CD into the PC and select the "Expres
Installation" option and click on the "Go" button.

Thank You

--
> [...]

> floppy diskett to floppy drive then press "E" on the keyboard, and the
> PC will copy the driver files onto the diskette for you automatically.
>
> Start to load windows , Boot system up with the Windows CD on CDrom
> when SETUP screen shows press F6 after windows loaded basic drivers a
> message prompted press S key to specify special driver,press S key and
> inset the floppy disk that has the "NVIDIA RAID class driver" and
> "Nvidia Nforce Storage Controller" driver load the Nvidia classic Raid
> classic driver first then press S again load the Nvidia Nforce storage
> controller driver ( need to load two drivers)
> follow the instructions on the monitor to complete the O/S
> installation. After the O/S is installed, install the mother drivers by
> placing the mother driver CD into the PC and select the "Express
> Installation" option and click on the "Go" button.

Hmmm you *shouldn't* have to go through the above process to have a
stand-alone, non-raided SATA setup - this should only be for RAID
configurations.

BillL

JBAZ

Hmmm you *shouldn't* have to go through the above process to have a
stand-alone, non-raided SATA setup - this should only be for RAID
configurations.

BillL

Gigabyte Technical Service emailed me back again with beta bios F7R.
I'm going to try it when I get home tonight. Hopefully this new Bio
will clear up the SATA soft boot recognition problem...

--
JBAZ

Rob Nicholson

> I'm also getting SATA (Maxtor Diamond Max 250 GB) disc failures of soft
> reboots. I don't think its how the boards been setup & I have decent

Strangely, we're getting a completely different Tyan Athlon MP based system
that's rebooting and hanging with a SIS chipset SATA PCI card and two Maxtor
Diamond Max drives. The log is often full of disk system errors before the
hang. I wonder if there's a problem with the Maxtor and SATA...

Rob.

maxximus

Have any of you guys got a permanent fix- hows the f7h bios.

I Get this random non-recogntion of my maxtor 200gb sata -even after
diabling raid. It took about 20 boots to fail but it failed
nonetheless.

Thinking about changing the Maxtor for a Seagate barracuda SATA-
anyone know if its a problem with Maxtor.