johns

Is Matrox going out of business or something? They
seem totally stuck regards development in line with
modern standards. I've used their cards in my CAD
labs for ages, but now, do they even have an 8x AGP
card? They are still pushing cards for $300 to $500
that ATI and NVidia are selling for $65 to $85.
Have they ever gotten into the 3D market? Does
anybody know if Far Cry will run on any of their cards?
As far as I'm concerned all their talk about "business"
apps is just an excuse to do nothing. What has happened
to them?

johns

Larc

On Mon, 10 May 2004 11:06:47 -0700, "johns" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

| Is Matrox going out of business or something? They
| seem totally stuck regards development in line with
| modern standards. I've used their cards in my CAD
| labs for ages, but now, do they even have an 8x AGP
| card?

Sure! Most Parhelias, P750 and P650.

Larc

- Change planet to earth to reply by email -

johns

> Sure! Most Parhelias, P750 and P650.

Ads I just read say AGP 4x on both ?? Must be a
typo? Still, there is absolutely no talk on this group
about gaming on a Matrox card. Is that because
they can't do it? What I see happening is the game
cards are pulling ahead to the point that the mobo
designers are not going to cater to the "business"
or CAD cards anymore. Seems stupid to lag so far
behind, and still charge a whopping fee for a sub-
standard video card. For example, the Gigabyte
mobos are putting out several combo boards with
video embedded .. at 8 meg .. but will use 128 meg
of system ram. In testing, I have found that mobo
does just as well in business apps and CAD as any
of the so-called high end 2D cards. That combo board
costs $45. If Matrox doesn't get off its butt, it is done.

johns

Rick

"johns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:c7rim4$dfr$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Sure! Most Parhelias, P750 and P650.

> Ads I just read say AGP 4x on both ?? Must be a
> typo? Still, there is absolutely no talk on this group
> about gaming on a Matrox card. Is that because
> they can't do it? What I see happening is the game
> cards are pulling ahead to the point that the mobo
> designers are not going to cater to the "business"
> or CAD cards anymore. Seems stupid to lag so far
> behind, and still charge a whopping fee for a sub-
> standard video card. For example, the Gigabyte
> mobos are putting out several combo boards with
> video embedded .. at 8 meg .. but will use 128 meg
> of system ram. In testing, I have found that mobo
> does just as well in business apps and CAD as any
> of the so-called high end 2D cards. That combo board
> costs $45. If Matrox doesn't get off its butt, it is done.

Where have you been the last four or so years? Matrox hasn't
been in the gaming card business in any serious way for ages.

The way I understand the story, there was an exodus of
programmers from Matrox to Nvidia (and elsewhere) several
years ago, and Matrox has yet to recover. Nor have they
shown any particular interest in doing so. During this period,
when Nvidia and ATI were doubling and tripling 3D gaming
performance every year, Matrox gave us "headcasting" and
other useless marketing nonsense.

Rick

Larc

On Wed, 12 May 2004 03:28:50 -0700, "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

| The way I understand the story, there was an exodus of
| programmers from Matrox to Nvidia (and elsewhere) several
| years ago, and Matrox has yet to recover. Nor have they
| shown any particular interest in doing so. During this period,
| when Nvidia and ATI were doubling and tripling 3D gaming
| performance every year, Matrox gave us "headcasting" and
| other useless marketing nonsense.

And it seems fewer dealers are selling Matrox products as time passes.
A mom and pop shop near me carried Matrox for years, but no longer.
They said they thought they'd never sell the last ones they had in
stock. Unfortunately, we Matrox fans are in a shrinking community.

Larc

- Change planet to earth to reply by email -

Mutley

Larc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 12 May 2004 03:28:50 -0700, "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>| The way I understand the story, there was an exodus of
>| programmers from Matrox to Nvidia (and elsewhere) several
>| years ago, and Matrox has yet to recover. Nor have they
>| shown any particular interest in doing so. During this period,
>| when Nvidia and ATI were doubling and tripling 3D gaming
>| performance every year, Matrox gave us "headcasting" and
>| other useless marketing nonsense.
>
>And it seems fewer dealers are selling Matrox products as time passes.
>A mom and pop shop near me carried Matrox for years, but no longer.
>They said they thought they'd never sell the last ones they had in
>stock. Unfortunately, we Matrox fans are in a shrinking community.
>
>Larc
>

> - Change planet to earth to reply by email -

Unfortunately you are correct. Matrox cards I found are all ways very
stable compared with some of the current "Gee Wiz" cards..