Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Glyph Antialiasing vs. Clear Type

 
 
AJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-21-2004, 06:36 AM
Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software? Is
hardware antialiasing better? Should I turn off
Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?

AJ


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard Hopkins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-21-2004, 09:17 PM
"AJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message...
> Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software?


Yes, although seeing as we're talking about non-graphics intensive usage,
whether it's done in the GPU or by the CPU is a slightly moot point.

> Is hardware antialiasing better?


At end of day whether it's hardware or software is irrelevant, which looks
better to *your* eyes? Personally I prefer Microsoft's take to Matrox's.

> Should I turn off Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?


Try it both ways and see which your eyes prefer. That's all that really
matters.
--


Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
(replace .nospam with .com in reply address)

The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
Get the most out of your digital photos www.dabsxpose.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Arthur Hagen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-21-2004, 11:25 PM
AJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software? Is
> hardware antialiasing better? Should I turn off
> Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?


ClearType is a subpixel anti-aliasing method that really only works well if
you have a TFT display with horisontally arranged subpixels. If you do, it
allows for much smoother anti-aliasing. Matrox' glyph anti-aliasing is far
better for CRT displays, both because it allows you to adjust the amount of
aliasing, and because it uses the graphics card anti-aliasing routines,
meaning better results with less CPU use.

Summary: If you have a flat panel monitor *and* it has its subpixels
arranged like below, go for ClearType. If not, go with Matrox Glyph
anti-aliasing.


ClearType compatible subpixel setup -- look *real* close, or use a
magnifying glass to see if it matches:

R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B

ClearType *incompatible* subpixel setup -- if you have this, ClearType will
make things worse, with distinct coloured edges on letters:

R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R
G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G
B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B
R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R
G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G
B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B

Regards,
--
*Art

 
Reply With Quote
 
AJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-21-2004, 11:33 PM

"Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4127bc6c$0$20249$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "AJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message...
>> Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software?

>
> Yes, although seeing as we're talking about non-graphics intensive usage, whether it's done in the GPU or by the CPU is a
> slightly moot point.
>
>> Is hardware antialiasing better?

>
> At end of day whether it's hardware or software is irrelevant, which looks better to *your* eyes? Personally I prefer
> Microsoft's take to Matrox's.
>
>> Should I turn off Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?

>
> Try it both ways and see which your eyes prefer. That's all that really matters.


Antialiasing was the reason I was considering the P650 over the G450.
I'd rather have a PCI card than an AGP at this technology transitionary time.
Since ClearType is basically the same as Matrox's hardware antialiasing,
I don't think then the P650 is worth $80 more than the G450 (even if it is
twice as fast). Thanks for your comments.

AJ


 
Reply With Quote
 
AJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-22-2004, 12:09 AM

"Arthur Hagen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:cg8llb$79g$(E-Mail Removed)...
> AJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software? Is
>> hardware antialiasing better? Should I turn off
>> Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?

>
> ClearType is a subpixel anti-aliasing method that really only works well if
> you have a TFT display with horisontally arranged subpixels.


It works VERY well on my CRT thanks to the ClearType tuner on the web. Text
at 1600x1200 on my 19" G90fb Viewsonic is very clear. Much more readable
than without it or with "standard smoothing".

> If you do, it
> allows for much smoother anti-aliasing. Matrox' glyph anti-aliasing is far
> better for CRT displays, both because it allows you to adjust the amount of
> aliasing, and because it uses the graphics card anti-aliasing routines,
> meaning better results with less CPU use.


That would be nice on my current CPU, I don't think it'll be a problem on
my new one though.

> Summary: If you have a flat panel monitor *and* it has its subpixels
> arranged like below, go for ClearType. If not, go with Matrox Glyph
> anti-aliasing.


Are you speaking from experience or just theory? Have you tested both
scenarios on the same monitor/OS?

> ClearType compatible subpixel setup -- look *real* close, or use a
> magnifying glass to see if it matches:
>
> R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
> R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
> R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
> R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
> R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
> R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
>
> ClearType *incompatible* subpixel setup -- if you have this, ClearType will
> make things worse, with distinct coloured edges on letters:
>
> R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R
> G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G
> B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B
> R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R
> G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G
> B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B


I don't get any colored edges on letters thanks to the ClearType Tuner. Without
the tuner, I've seen what you're talking about though. My fonts are fat and dark
black. I run 1600x1200 with font sizes scaled up to around 135%. Text on my
screen is very close if not exactly the size of 10 pt font printed. (My G90fb is a
shadow mask monitor and not an aperature grill type).

AJ


 
Reply With Quote
 
Doug Ramage
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-22-2004, 11:10 AM

"Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4127bc6c$0$20249$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "AJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message...
> > Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software?

>
> Yes, although seeing as we're talking about non-graphics intensive usage,
> whether it's done in the GPU or by the CPU is a slightly moot point.
>
> > Is hardware antialiasing better?

>
> At end of day whether it's hardware or software is irrelevant, which looks
> better to *your* eyes? Personally I prefer Microsoft's take to Matrox's.
>
> > Should I turn off Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?

>
> Try it both ways and see which your eyes prefer. That's all that really
> matters.
> --
>
>
> Richard Hopkins
> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
>


I would agree - I prefer MS ClearType to Matrox on my P650 and 19" TFT.

However, the Matrox option is good for Windows 2000 - I have a multiple OS
system.
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glyph table or keycaps utility of OS X? AES Apple 1 02-11-2008 08:43 PM
Clear Type Problem MZB Dell 5 12-04-2005 08:26 AM
Antialiasing : How it works on modern cards? Asestar ATI 5 04-12-2004 04:26 AM
What is Anisotropic Filtering and Antialiasing?? Chris ATI 11 04-06-2004 10:04 PM
Web page for Clear Type? Kiddie Grinder Dell 1 04-01-2004 10:26 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment