Good Quad Core Motherboard?

S. Smith

I'm looking for a good Quad Core motherboard to support an Intel
Q6600 CPU. Ideally one that is good for overclocking. I prefer Abit
boards, but am open to suggestions.

I currently have an Abit AW9D-Max board with an Intel E6600
overclocked to 3 Ghz and it works flawlessly. Abit claims that
board supports Quad Core CPU's, but from what I've been
reading on the Abit forums, it's a bit flaky with the Quad Core
CPU's and overclocking on that board with the Quad Cores
just makes it flakier.

Any suggestions or input is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

- Scott Smith: (E-Mail Removed)
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/choppersmith

M60

"S. Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm looking for a good Quad Core motherboard to support an Intel
> Q6600 CPU. Ideally one that is good for overclocking. I prefer Abit
> boards, but am open to suggestions.
>
> I currently have an Abit AW9D-Max board with an Intel E6600
> overclocked to 3 Ghz and it works flawlessly. Abit claims that
> board supports Quad Core CPU's, but from what I've been
> reading on the Abit forums, it's a bit flaky with the Quad Core
> CPU's and overclocking on that board with the Quad Cores
> just makes it flakier.
>
> Any suggestions or input is welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> - Scott Smith: (E-Mail Removed)
> MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/choppersmith

I have just assembled a system using an Intel D975XBX2 mo bo with a Q6600
cpu and its bloody marvellous. I clocked it up to 3 Ghz and it was fine but
as I don't require such power reset it back to 2.4.

running 4gb ram with an NVIDIA FX 3500 graphics card on it. as its on a
32bit system it only sees 3.25 gig of the ram but who cares its cheap now.

S. Smith

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:04:00 -0000, "M60" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"S. Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> I'm looking for a good Quad Core motherboard to support an Intel
>> Q6600 CPU. Ideally one that is good for overclocking. I prefer Abit
>> boards, but am open to suggestions.
>>
>> I currently have an Abit AW9D-Max board with an Intel E6600
>> overclocked to 3 Ghz and it works flawlessly. Abit claims that
>> board supports Quad Core CPU's, but from what I've been
>> reading on the Abit forums, it's a bit flaky with the Quad Core
>> CPU's and overclocking on that board with the Quad Cores
>> just makes it flakier.
>>
>> Any suggestions or input is welcome.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

>I have just assembled a system using an Intel D975XBX2 mo bo with a Q6600
>cpu and its bloody marvellous. I clocked it up to 3 Ghz and it was fine but
>as I don't require such power reset it back to 2.4.

Nice. Thanks.

Just curious, did you do any temperature monitoring when you had it
oc'd to 3 GHz. Was the stock cooling sufficient (as it is with the
E6600 oc'd to 3 GHz)?

- Scott Smith: (E-Mail Removed)
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/choppersmith

Psalm Nuclei

I would suggest the Gigabyte P35-DS3R. It runs flawlessly with Vista.
I currently have the E6420 OC'd to 3.2 ghz. Great OC'ing MB too.

S. Smith

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:31:35 -0800 (PST), Psalm Nuclei
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I would suggest the Gigabyte P35-DS3R. It runs flawlessly with Vista.
>I currently have the E6420 OC'd to 3.2 ghz. Great OC'ing MB too.

The E6420 isn't a Quad Core CPU. I have a great Dual Core motherboard
in the Abit AW9D-Max. I need a motherboard that is designed for the
Quad Core CPU's and overclocking them.

On Nov 20, 5:25 pm, S. Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:31:35 -0800 (PST), Psalm Nuclei
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I would suggest the Gigabyte P35-DS3R. It runs flawlessly with Vista.
> >I currently have the E6420 OC'd to 3.2 ghz. Great OC'ing MB too.

> The E6420 isn't a Quad Core CPU. I have a great Dual Core motherboard
> in the Abit AW9D-Max. I need a motherboard that is designed for the
> Quad Core CPU's and overclocking them.
>
> - Scott Smith: (E-Mail Removed)
> MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/choppersmith

I know the E6420 isn't a Quad. I was just explaining that the GA-P35-
DS3R is a reliable mb that can also handle Quads and is a great
overclocker.

Howard Goldstein

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:16:17 -0600, S Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Any suggestions or input is welcome.

I'd been advised to poke around xtremesystems.org for discussions on
matters like this. It was good advice.

Psalm Nuclei

On Nov 20, 7:39 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Howard Goldstein) wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:16:17 -0600, S Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : Any suggestions or input is welcome.
>
> I'd been advised to poke around xtremesystems.org for discussions on
> matters like this. It was good advice.

Oh Yes! And ocforums.com too. I visit them both.

M60

"S. Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:04:00 -0000, "M60" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"S. Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>
>>> I'm looking for a good Quad Core motherboard to support an Intel
>>> Q6600 CPU. Ideally one that is good for overclocking. I prefer Abit
>>> boards, but am open to suggestions.
>>>
>>> I currently have an Abit AW9D-Max board with an Intel E6600
>>> overclocked to 3 Ghz and it works flawlessly. Abit claims that
>>> board supports Quad Core CPU's, but from what I've been
>>> reading on the Abit forums, it's a bit flaky with the Quad Core
>>> CPU's and overclocking on that board with the Quad Cores
>>> just makes it flakier.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions or input is welcome.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

>>I have just assembled a system using an Intel D975XBX2 mo bo with a Q6600
>>cpu and its bloody marvellous. I clocked it up to 3 Ghz and it was fine
>>but
>>as I don't require such power reset it back to 2.4.

> Nice. Thanks.
>
> Just curious, did you do any temperature monitoring when you had it
> oc'd to 3 GHz. Was the stock cooling sufficient (as it is with the
> E6600 oc'd to 3 GHz)?
>

> - Scott Smith: (E-Mail Removed)
> MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/choppersmith

sorry I did not fit the stock fan but an Artic Cooling Freezer 7.

This said the stock fan looked like it could do the same job.

I did not do any extensive temp tests.

S. Smith

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:56:05 -0800 (PST), Psalm Nuclei
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Nov 20, 5:25 pm, S. Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:31:35 -0800 (PST), Psalm Nuclei
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >I would suggest the Gigabyte P35-DS3R. It runs flawlessly with Vista.
>> >I currently have the E6420 OC'd to 3.2 ghz. Great OC'ing MB too.

>> The E6420 isn't a Quad Core CPU. I have a great Dual Core motherboard
>> in the Abit AW9D-Max. I need a motherboard that is designed for the
>> Quad Core CPU's and overclocking them.
>>

>I know the E6420 isn't a Quad. I was just explaining that the GA-P35-
>DS3R is a reliable mb that can also handle Quads and is a great
>overclocker.

OK, cool. Thanks for the tip. Upon research, this looks like an
excellent board.

Nice overview of the board at PCStats.com: