What are good temps for 7900GT?

Gank

I just put in a 7900GT yesterday and my temps at idle are showing 58 -
62c. Is this normal for this card? My last vid card was an ATI X800XL
w/Zalman V700cu and it idled about mid 40's. Being summer the temps
are going to rise because it is in the 30's here, just want to make
sure these temps are not too high.

First of One

What's the temperature like under load? It's the only number that matters.

"Gank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just put in a 7900GT yesterday and my temps at idle are showing 58 -
> 62c. Is this normal for this card? My last vid card was an ATI X800XL
> w/Zalman V700cu and it idled about mid 40's. Being summer the temps
> are going to rise because it is in the 30's here, just want to make
> sure these temps are not too high.

Gank

"First of One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> What's the temperature like under load? It's the only number that matters.

I went and ran 3DMark and set the temp monitor to continue logging and to
warn me if it had to lower clock speeds to keep cool enough. When I went
back in after running 3DMark I didn't see the temps logged and the temp
shown was still 58c. I looked in the Nvidia folder hoping it created a log
file of the temps but didn't see one. I guess I have to run a game and then
minimize to see what the temps are during load.

Corvus

"Gank" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "First of One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> What's the temperature like under load? It's the only number that
>> matters.
>>

> I went and ran 3DMark and set the temp monitor to continue logging and to
> warn me if it had to lower clock speeds to keep cool enough. When I went
> back in after running 3DMark I didn't see the temps logged and the temp
> shown was still 58c. I looked in the Nvidia folder hoping it created a log
> file of the temps but didn't see one. I guess I have to run a game and
> then minimize to see what the temps are during load.

RivaTuner is fine for Temp logging. For MBM users there is a NVIDIA plugin
at www.dfistreet.com.

youth

"Gank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "First of One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> What's the temperature like under load? It's the only number that
>> matters.
>>

> I went and ran 3DMark and set the temp monitor to continue logging and to
> warn me if it had to lower clock speeds to keep cool enough. When I went
> back in after running 3DMark I didn't see the temps logged and the temp
> shown was still 58c. I looked in the Nvidia folder hoping it created a log
> file of the temps but didn't see one. I guess I have to run a game and
> then minimize to see what the temps are during load.

The card cools pretty quickly so doing that might not give you a good
reading as I think the 3d processing stops when you minimize or alt-tab?
What I do to monitor realtime is run dualview which in my case I have a HDTV
connected & have the nvidia temp applet open in the second monitor while my
game runs on the main.

g;day
youth

First of One

Use the artifact checker in ATiTool (works for nVidia cards) to heat up the
GPU:
http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

It runs in a window, so you can have the control panel temperature display
running in the background.

"Gank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I went and ran 3DMark and set the temp monitor to continue logging and to
> warn me if it had to lower clock speeds to keep cool enough. When I went
> back in after running 3DMark I didn't see the temps logged and the temp
> shown was still 58c. I looked in the Nvidia folder hoping it created a log
> file of the temps but didn't see one. I guess I have to run a game and
> then minimize to see what the temps are during load.

Gank

"First of One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Use the artifact checker in ATiTool (works for nVidia cards) to heat up
> the GPU:
> http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/
>
> It runs in a window, so you can have the control panel temperature display
> running in the background.

Great, thx for the link. I ran it for 5 minutes and the temp peaked at 77c.
I have volt mods on my case fans so I think I should maybe remove them and
run the fans at stock rpm. My temps seem a little high compared to what I
saw in a review of 7900 cards at Anandtech. Mind you, like I said
previously, the weather is quite warm here lately so the ambient temps are
quite high.

First of One

77C at max load is hardly worth noticing. The GPU can run at 90 C
continuously without issue. The thermal shutdown threshold is something like
120 C, if I remember correctly.

Your video card, if from a reputable manufacturer, was probably qualified to
50 C ambient temps. I mean, there are customers in Middle Eastern
countries...

> Great, thx for the link. I ran it for 5 minutes and the temp peaked at
> 77c. I have volt mods on my case fans so I think I should maybe remove
> them and run the fans at stock rpm. My temps seem a little high compared
> to what I saw in a review of 7900 cards at Anandtech. Mind you, like I
> said previously, the weather is quite warm here lately so the ambient
> temps are quite high.

Gank

"First of One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 77C at max load is hardly worth noticing. The GPU can run at 90 C
> continuously without issue. The thermal shutdown threshold is something
> like 120 C, if I remember correctly.
>
> Your video card, if from a reputable manufacturer, was probably qualified
> to 50 C ambient temps. I mean, there are customers in Middle Eastern
> countries...

OK, I'm not getting any problems so I guess I should just be happy with it.
It's an eVGA KO card. Thanks.