Is it good to upgrade directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion?

Juan I. Cahis

Dear friends:

Is it good to upgrade directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion?

Or will be better to go from Snow Leopard to Lion, and in a couple of
weeks, when Lion is working OK in my machine, then to go from Lion to to
Mountain Lion?

--
Enviado desde mi iPad, Juan I. Cahis, Santiago de Chile.

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)
ganews.com>, Juan I. Cahis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is it good to upgrade directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion?

sure. it's fully supported.

> Or will be better to go from Snow Leopard to Lion, and in a couple of
> weeks, when Lion is working OK in my machine, then to go from Lion to to
> Mountain Lion?

upgrade whenever you have the need to upgrade. you might want to wait
for 10.8.1 or .2 to fix the inevitable bugs in a .0 release.

you don't need lion in the interim, unless you have an app you need to
run that won't run on snow leopard.

Chris Schram

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)
ganews.com>,
Juan I. Cahis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Dear friends:
>
> Is it good to upgrade directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion?
>
> Or will be better to go from Snow Leopard to Lion, and in a couple of
> weeks, when Lion is working OK in my machine, then to go from Lion to to
> Mountain Lion?

Upgrading from Snow Leopard should give you no trouble at all, provided
you have rid your system of any and all PowerPC applications. If you
still need PowerPC support, better stick with Snow Leopard.

--
(E-Mail Removed) is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies WILL be lost.
Try <http://public.xdi.org/=chris.schram> instead.

sbt

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris
Schram <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)
> ganews.com>,
> Juan I. Cahis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Dear friends:
> >
> > Is it good to upgrade directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion?
> >
> > Or will be better to go from Snow Leopard to Lion, and in a couple of
> > weeks, when Lion is working OK in my machine, then to go from Lion to to
> > Mountain Lion?

> Upgrading from Snow Leopard should give you no trouble at all, provided
> you have rid your system of any and all PowerPC applications. If you
> still need PowerPC support, better stick with Snow Leopard.

???

Snow Leopard was the first OS X release that _didn't_ have PowerPC
support, so that isn't an issue.

--
Spenser

nospam

In article <250720122048361321%(E-Mail Removed) id>, sbt
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Upgrading from Snow Leopard should give you no trouble at all, provided
> > you have rid your system of any and all PowerPC applications. If you
> > still need PowerPC support, better stick with Snow Leopard.

> ???
>
> Snow Leopard was the first OS X release that _didn't_ have PowerPC
> support, so that isn't an issue.

not quite.

snow leopard was the first release that would not boot on powerpc macs,
however, it still supported running powerpc apps via rosetta.

lion removes rosetta. powerpc apps no longer run.

nospam

Schram <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Is it good to upgrade directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion?
> >
> > Or will be better to go from Snow Leopard to Lion, and in a couple of
> > weeks, when Lion is working OK in my machine, then to go from Lion to to
> > Mountain Lion?

> Upgrading from Snow Leopard should give you no trouble at all, provided
> you have rid your system of any and all PowerPC applications. If you
> still need PowerPC support, better stick with Snow Leopard.

actually you don't have to get rid of them when upgrading. they won't
work in lion or mountain lion, but they also don't hurt anything if
they're still there.

Bread

On 2012-07-26 03:53:02 +0000, nospam said:

> In article <250720122048361321%(E-Mail Removed) id>, sbt
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> Upgrading from Snow Leopard should give you no trouble at all, provided
>>> you have rid your system of any and all PowerPC applications. If you
>>> still need PowerPC support, better stick with Snow Leopard.

>> ???
>>
>> Snow Leopard was the first OS X release that _didn't_ have PowerPC
>> support, so that isn't an issue.

> not quite.
>
> snow leopard was the first release that would not boot on powerpc macs,
> however, it still supported running powerpc apps via rosetta.

However, Rosetta was not installed by default. Under SL, the first
time you tried to run a PowerPC app, it would explicitly ask you if you
wanted to install Rosetta, and then, if you wanted it, would do so.

nospam

In article <juruv0$k0i$(E-Mail Removed)>, Bread
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> ???
> >>
> >> Snow Leopard was the first OS X release that _didn't_ have PowerPC
> >> support, so that isn't an issue.

> > not quite.
> >
> > snow leopard was the first release that would not boot on powerpc macs,
> > however, it still supported running powerpc apps via rosetta.

> However, Rosetta was not installed by default. Under SL, the first
> time you tried to run a PowerPC app, it would explicitly ask you if you
> wanted to install Rosetta, and then, if you wanted it, would do so.

true, and now you no longer have that option at all. it's gone.

John Varela

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 17:47:17 UTC, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> > > not quite.
> > >
> > > snow leopard was the first release that would not boot on powerpc macs,
> > > however, it still supported running powerpc apps via rosetta.

> > However, Rosetta was not installed by default. Under SL, the first
> > time you tried to run a PowerPC app, it would explicitly ask you if you
> > wanted to install Rosetta, and then, if you wanted it, would do so.

> true, and now you no longer have that option at all. it's gone.

Which is why I am still on 10.6.8. I have only one important
application that needs Rosetta, and that is the Epson driver for my
scanner. The Epson driver has many more controls than Image Capture,
and these are important when scanning old faded Ektachrome slides. I
have just about finished with my big scanning project, so I'm
considering moving up to Mountain Lion.

--
John Varela