GPU idle temperature

Martin Groepl

Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
is 77C,170F @ idle Windows desktop.
Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
again: 86C,186F.
I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
I decided not to stress the GPU further without confirmation that this
is ok.

What's the maximum temperature for the GPU? Is there any "official limit"?

The video card gets a noticeable air stream from the CPU cooler (Zalman
CNPS7000B, 1800rpm). CPU temp is 37C. MB temp is 28C.

Any opinion?

Thanks,
Martin

Marcel Overweel

That doesn't sound good.
My 6800gt gets around 56 degrees idle and 64-68 when playing games.

regards,
Marcel

"Martin Groepl" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
> GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
> The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
> is 77C,170F @ idle Windows desktop.
> Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
> I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
> again: 86C,186F.
> I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
> I decided not to stress the GPU further without confirmation that this
> is ok.
>
> What's the maximum temperature for the GPU? Is there any "official limit"?
>
> The video card gets a noticeable air stream from the CPU cooler (Zalman
> CNPS7000B, 1800rpm). CPU temp is 37C. MB temp is 28C.
>
> Any opinion?
>
> Thanks,
> Martin

BigVoice

Mine is an Inno3D 6800GT. After I ran 3DMark05 for 10 times then I
started Nvidia's driver page (ver 66.93) which showed the GPU temp was
about 75 C while the ambient temp is about 52 C.

BigVoice

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:06:40 +0100, Martin Groepl
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
>GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
>The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
>is 77C,170F @ idle Windows desktop.
>Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
>I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
>again: 86C,186F.
>I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
>I decided not to stress the GPU further without confirmation that this
>is ok.
>
>What's the maximum temperature for the GPU? Is there any "official limit"?
>
>The video card gets a noticeable air stream from the CPU cooler (Zalman
>CNPS7000B, 1800rpm). CPU temp is 37C. MB temp is 28C.
>
>Any opinion?
>
>Thanks,
>Martin

Richard Dower

"Marcel Overweel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41ab323c$0$36860$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> That doesn't sound good.
> My 6800gt gets around 56 degrees idle and 64-68 when playing games.
>
> regards,
> Marcel
>
> "Martin Groepl" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
>> GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
>> The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
>> is 77C,170F @ idle Windows desktop.
>> Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
>> I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
>> again: 86C,186F.
>> I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
>> I decided not to stress the GPU further without confirmation that this
>> is ok.
>>
>> What's the maximum temperature for the GPU? Is there any "official
>> limit"?
>>
>> The video card gets a noticeable air stream from the CPU cooler (Zalman
>> CNPS7000B, 1800rpm). CPU temp is 37C. MB temp is 28C.
>>
>> Any opinion?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Martin

Richard Dower

"Marcel Overweel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41ab323c$0$36860$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> That doesn't sound good.
> My 6800gt gets around 56 degrees idle and 64-68 when playing games.

Mine runs 44C idle.

Dan

My advice would be play a game for a while. If it freezes the card is
probably overheating. If not, then It'll be fine. Passively cooled cards are
going to run hotter than ones that are not.

Dan

"BigVoice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mine is an Inno3D 6800GT. After I ran 3DMark05 for 10 times then I
> started Nvidia's driver page (ver 66.93) which showed the GPU temp was
> about 75 C while the ambient temp is about 52 C.
>
> BigVoice
>
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:06:40 +0100, Martin Groepl
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
> >GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
> >The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
> >is 77C,170F @ idle Windows desktop.
> >Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
> >I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
> >again: 86C,186F.
> >I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
> >I decided not to stress the GPU further without confirmation that this
> >is ok.
> >
> >What's the maximum temperature for the GPU? Is there any "official

limit"?

> >The video card gets a noticeable air stream from the CPU cooler (Zalman
> >CNPS7000B, 1800rpm). CPU temp is 37C. MB temp is 28C.
> >
> >Any opinion?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Martin

Ar Q

"Martin Groepl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
> GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
> The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
> is 77C,170F @ idle Windows desktop.
> Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
> I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
> again: 86C,186F.
> I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.

Sounds OK to me. Mine is 80C idle, 93C playing game. I only have one case
fan tho.

Ed Light

You could get that Zalman kit with a bracket and quiet fan that blows down
on the card. They say to use it with their own passive cooling when
installed on the more powerful cards.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.

RaceFace

"Martin Groepl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
> GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
> The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2 is
> 77C,170F @ idle Windows desktop.
> Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
> I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
> again: 86C,186F.
> I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
> I decided not to stress the GPU further without confirmation that this is
> ok.
>
> What's the maximum temperature for the GPU? Is there any "official limit"?
>
> The video card gets a noticeable air stream from the CPU cooler (Zalman
> CNPS7000B, 1800rpm). CPU temp is 37C. MB temp is 28C.
>
> Any opinion?
>
> Thanks,
> Martin

Far too high for idle. Mine is about 57C at idle, and 75C under full load
for a while.

Seems odd that it's getting so hot, if your case temp is kept at a
reasonable amount.

The 6800 has passive cooling only? No fan? That seems.. wrong.. for a 6800
unless it's a high end cooler or something.

Ronald

Martin Groepl wrote:
> Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
> GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
> The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
> is 77C,170F @ idle Windows desktop.
> Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
> I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
> again: 86C,186F.
> I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
> I decided not to stress the GPU further without confirmation that this
> is ok.
>
> What's the maximum temperature for the GPU? Is there any "official
> limit"?
> The video card gets a noticeable air stream from the CPU cooler
> (Zalman CNPS7000B, 1800rpm). CPU temp is 37C. MB temp is 28C.

In reaction to your last remark: my Ti4200 actually gets hotter by the
airflow of my CPU cooler.
To compare: with both CPU and GPU as idle as possible and GPU fan at full
speed.
1. CPU fan near stall speed (7-800 rpm), CPU temp 44C, GPU temp 44-45C, MB
temp 25C
2. CPU fan full speed (3700 rpm), CPU temp 42C, GPU temp 50-51C, MB temp 25C
Thats an extra 6C on the videocard due to the CPU fan.
Try reducing the rpm's on your CPU cooler if you can and see what the temp
on the videocard does.
A friend of mine has a case with somesort of 'chimney' which takes the
airflow of the CPU cooler directly out of the case through a perforation in
the side of the case.

regards, Ronald

ATI chipset + ATI GPU _or_ nForce chipset + nVidia GPU -- Which combination performs better? andrew.gullans@gmail.com Asus 25 02-13-2006 04:28 AM
ATI chipset + ATI GPU _or_ nForce chipset + nVidia GPU -- Which combination performs better? andrew.gullans@gmail.com Abit 13 02-01-2006 02:41 AM
holy ****! Xbox360 GPU has 332M transistors! that's more than PS3's Nvidia RSX GPU ATI 7 05-23-2005 06:48 AM
9600XT idle temperature ofn01 ATI 4 02-11-2005 09:14 PM
High idle CPU temperature -- no bus disconnect? Garry Bryant Gigabyte 0 04-13-2004 05:25 AM