A Great Scientific Calculator Widget?

qquito

Dear Everyone:

Is there a great and FREE scientific calculator, widget or otherwise,
for the Mac OS X (Version 10.5.4) machine?

My machine does have a calculator widget, but it is a basic one and
does not even have sine, cosine and logarithic functions.

I sometimes use "bc", the arbitrary precision calculator language with
the option "-l", in the X-window, which is only good when you don't
need to deal with trigonometric functions.

So I am wondering if there is any free advanced scientific calculator
to be used on a Mac OS X machine.

Thank you for reading and replying!

--Roland

TaliesinSoft

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 00:11:47 -0500, qquito wrote
(in article
<(E-Mail Removed)>):

> Is there a great and FREE scientific calculator, widget or otherwise,
> for the Mac OS X (Version 10.5.4) machine?

The calculator that comes with OS X 10.5 has three modes, basic, scientific,
and programmer. This calculator also allows you to choose whethr or not to us
reverse Polish notation (RPN) for expression entry. .When the calculator is
active you can select the preferred mode of operation from the View menu.

--
James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... (E-Mail Removed)

qquito

On Jul 18, 1:27*am, TaliesinSoft <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The calculator that comes with OS X 10.5 has three modes, basic, scientific,
> and programmer. This calculator also allows you to choose whethr or not to us
> reverse Polish *notation (RPN) for expression entry. .When the calculator is
> active you can select the preferred mode of operation from the View menu.
>
> --
> James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... (E-Mail Removed)

Thank you for the reply!

This sounds great---except that I couldn't find the "View" menu you
mentioned. Could you tell where it is?

--Roland

dockyard

On Jul 18, 5:33*am, qquito <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 18, 1:27*am, TaliesinSoft <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > The calculator that comes with OS X 10.5 has three modes, basic, scientific,
> > and programmer. This calculator also allows you to choose whethr or notto us
> > reverse Polish *notation (RPN) for expression entry. .When the calculator is
> > active you can select the preferred mode of operation from the View menu.

> > --
> > James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... (E-Mail Removed)

> Thank you for the reply!
>
> This sounds great---except that I couldn't find the "View" menu you
> mentioned. Could you tell where it is?
>
> --Roland

Roland Go to finder >applications>calculator>view then select

Michelle Steiner

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
qquito <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So I am wondering if there is any free advanced scientific calculator
> to be used on a Mac OS X machine.

Yes, the Calculator application (not the widget) that comes with OS X.

--
Member National Rifle Association
Member American Civil Liberties Union

Michelle Steiner

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
qquito <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This sounds great---except that I couldn't find the "View" menu you
> mentioned. Could you tell where it is?

Run the Calculator application; the View menu is between the Edit and
Convert menus.

--

VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, qquito <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>On Jul 18, 1:27=A0am, TaliesinSoft <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The calculator that comes with OS X 10.5 has three modes, basic, scientif=

>ic,
>> and programmer. This calculator also allows you to choose whethr or not t=

>o us
>> reverse Polish =A0notation (RPN) for expression entry. .When the calculat=

>or is
>> active you can select the preferred mode of operation from the View menu.
>>
>> --
>> James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... (E-Mail Removed)

>Thank you for the reply!
>
>This sounds great---except that I couldn't find the "View" menu you
>mentioned. Could you tell where it is?

When the Calculator app is active, the View menu appears in the
menu bar: Calculator File Edit View Convert Speech Window Help
Selection under View:

Basic %1
Scientific %2
Programmer %3
---------------
Show Paper Tape
---------------
PRN
---------------
Precision [>]

http://www.quirkfactory.com/popart/asskey/eqn2.png

Philo D

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
qquito <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Jul 18, 1:27*am, TaliesinSoft <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > The calculator that comes with OS X 10.5 has three modes, basic, scientific,
> > and programmer. This calculator also allows you to choose whethr or not to
> > us
> > reverse Polish *notation (RPN) for expression entry. .When the calculator is
> > active you can select the preferred mode of operation from the View menu.
> >
> > --
> > James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... (E-Mail Removed)

> Thank you for the reply!
>
> This sounds great---except that I couldn't find the "View" menu you
> mentioned. Could you tell where it is?
>
> --Roland

When Calculator is the front-most application running, then its menus
are at the top of the screen. One of them is called "View".
[Calculator.app version 4.2]

Philo D

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> qquito <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > So I am wondering if there is any free advanced scientific calculator
> > to be used on a Mac OS X machine.

> Yes, the Calculator application (not the widget) that comes with OS X.

Now we understand the confusion. So... the OP wants a widget not an
app.

AES

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
dockyard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Roland Go to finder >applications>calculator>view then select

On my MacBook running OS 10.4.11, this hp-like calculator is indeed in
the Applications folder (thanks to you, I just learned this!), and it's
indeed great.

But the widget calculator that shows up when I hit F12 (along with a few
other widgets, on top of an otherwise darkened screen) is just a
primitive "four function" calculator.

Is there any way (in 10.4) to add the fancy hp-like calculator to the
F12/widget repertoire?