GSM 6.10 codec required - can you help?

Ian Roberts

Hi

I have some sound files which I believe are encoded using GSM 6.10.

All the playback software and utilities I have can't recognised them. I'd
like to be able to play them back and convert them to "normal" WAV files.

I have cool edit pro 1.1 but this cant interpret the file format either.

The sound files have come from the telephone answering software called
"phone tools" supplied with my USR Robotics / 3 com Professional Message
modem. All the incoming messages are stored with the extension .PCM. I
can play them back within the "Phone Tools" software itself. But I'd like
to keep some treasured messages in a generic format so that I can play them
back on anything.

If you have the GSM 6.10 codec or know where I can get it I'd be very
grateful. Also some info on how to install the codec would be appreciated
too.

Thanks for any info.

BTW I'm running Win XP Pro most of the time though I can dual boot and use
Win98 if ever needed.

Ian I^)

It's a pretty standard format. You've probably got something
from a recorder that didn't do it quite right. WMP 6.4 plays
them fine, for example, as do the two (plus) players here:

http://40th.com/w32/

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
GT40 encryption-database toolkit for Win32 and Linux

Markus

> All the playback software and utilities I have can't recognised them.
I'd
> like to be able to play them back and convert them to "normal" WAV files.

Try Awave Audio - see http://www.fmjsoft.com/

It will read several different 'packaging types' of GSM 6.10 data and let
you save ti to a variety of different formats.