GT 520 two versions?

Allen Drake

First time posting here but I have been using nVIDIA cards in all my
systems for some time now. I just received a pair of GT 520 cards from
different vendors and got two different versions. One has Dual-Link
DVI-I HDCP capable Connector and HDMI 1.4a Connector and the other
has One Dual-Link DVI-I HDCP capable Connector, One Single-Link DVI-I
HDCP capable Connector and Mini-HDMI 1.4 Connector. I haven't opened
the boxes yet but there looks like a different type of DVI plug and
both look like they have Mini HDMI. Can anyone please explain these
different plugs and why there are two versions of the same card? What
would the user do with one where he wouldn't need the other?

Is there a link to an explanation of the different DVI connectors?
One looks like a VGA but it doesn't say so.

AL.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W3F9XO/...60_cs_sce_dp_1

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3SHIP-_-03ship

KCB

"Allen Drake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> First time posting here but I have been using nVIDIA cards in all my
> systems for some time now. I just received a pair of GT 520 cards from
> different vendors and got two different versions. One has Dual-Link
> DVI-I HDCP capable Connector and HDMI 1.4a Connector and the other
> has One Dual-Link DVI-I HDCP capable Connector, One Single-Link DVI-I
> HDCP capable Connector and Mini-HDMI 1.4 Connector. I haven't opened
> the boxes yet but there looks like a different type of DVI plug and
> both look like they have Mini HDMI. Can anyone please explain these
> different plugs and why there are two versions of the same card? What
> would the user do with one where he wouldn't need the other?
>
> Is there a link to an explanation of the different DVI connectors?
> One looks like a VGA but it doesn't say so.
>

> AL.
>

> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W3F9XO/...60_cs_sce_dp_1
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3SHIP-_-03ship

The one from Amazon appears to have a VGA port, while the other probably has
an adapter included for DVI to VGA. I can't remember the last time I got a
card that didn't have it included. As far as the cards being different,
it's because you bought two (slightly) different models. The Amazon model
which matches your TigerDirect model is available here:
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-M.../ref=pd_cp_e_2
Notice the part numbers on the cards you bought "1521" "1526"

Info on DVI specs available here:
http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

Allen Drake

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 17:26:08 -0500, "KCB" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Allen Drake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> First time posting here but I have been using nVIDIA cards in all my
>> systems for some time now. I just received a pair of GT 520 cards from
>> different vendors and got two different versions. One has Dual-Link
>> DVI-I HDCP capable Connector and HDMI 1.4a Connector and the other
>> has One Dual-Link DVI-I HDCP capable Connector, One Single-Link DVI-I
>> HDCP capable Connector and Mini-HDMI 1.4 Connector. I haven't opened
>> the boxes yet but there looks like a different type of DVI plug and
>> both look like they have Mini HDMI. Can anyone please explain these
>> different plugs and why there are two versions of the same card? What
>> would the user do with one where he wouldn't need the other?
>>
>> Is there a link to an explanation of the different DVI connectors?
>> One looks like a VGA but it doesn't say so.
>>

>> AL.
>>

>> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W3F9XO/...60_cs_sce_dp_1
>>
>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3SHIP-_-03ship

>The one from Amazon appears to have a VGA port, while the other probably has
>an adapter included for DVI to VGA. I can't remember the last time I got a
>card that didn't have it included. As far as the cards being different,
>it's because you bought two (slightly) different models. The Amazon model
>which matches your TigerDirect model is available here:
>http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-M.../ref=pd_cp_e_2
>Notice the part numbers on the cards you bought "1521" "1526"
>
>Info on DVI specs available here:
>http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

Thank you very much KCB that was exactly the info I wanted. I was
just wondering why the difference and what would one consumer decide
to select one over the other. I guess it would simply be because one
might want to use a monitor that has no DVI unless I am missing
something. I appreciate the link to the technical info.

Regards.

Al.