GT5408 has noisey heat sink fan

SadMouse

At first I thought it was the case fan, but after opening the case,
I've narrowed it down to the heatsink fan. I can't find the dimensions
anywhere. Not listed in the specs. It's a socket LGA775 Intel 945G,
Core 2 Duo -- . Active heatsink PN# 8016097ravc It has a 4 pin
connector. I have nothing here at the office to measure mm. Is it
80mm? 90? 95? Doesn't really look like a 120mm.

I need to know the dimensions so I can find a (simple and easy)
replacement. anyone have any suggestions for a good/simple replacement
fan or heatsink w/fan?

Thanks for any help.

Ben Myers

On 10/15/2010 6:41 PM, SC Tom wrote:

> "SadMouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> At first I thought it was the case fan, but after opening the case,
>> I've narrowed it down to the heatsink fan. I can't find the dimensions
>> anywhere. Not listed in the specs. It's a socket LGA775 Intel 945G,
>> Core 2 Duo -- . Active heatsink PN# 8016097ravc It has a 4 pin
>> connector. I have nothing here at the office to measure mm. Is it
>> 80mm? 90? 95? Doesn't really look like a 120mm.
>>
>> I need to know the dimensions so I can find a (simple and easy)
>> replacement. anyone have any suggestions for a good/simple replacement
>> fan or heatsink w/fan?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.

> Measure it in inches-
> mm = in.
> 80 ~ 3-5/32 (3.15)
> 90 ~ 3-17/32 (3.54)
> 95 ~ 3-23/32 (3.74)
>
> Check any of the electronics houses such as Newegg.com for heatsinks
> designed for Intel LGA775 socketed motherboards.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...name=LGA%20775

Also, be careful which type of heat sink/fan you buy. I doubt that
Gateway uses a standard Intel one. These are a real pain-in-the-ass to
install.

Consistent with older Gateway models, you will probably find a 3rd party
heat sink/fan, and it probably attaches with some sort of clips to a
mounting bracket on the motherboard. If you can match the make and
model with a replacement, that is best. But there are probably other
alternatives available... Ben Myers

SadMouse

On Oct 15, 6:33*pm, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 10/15/2010 6:41 PM, SC Tom wrote:
>

> > "SadMouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)....
> >> At first I thought it was the case fan, but after opening the case,
> >> I've narrowed it down to the heatsink fan. I can't find the dimensions
> >> anywhere. Not listed in the specs. It's a socket LGA775 Intel 945G,
> >> Core 2 Duo -- . Active heatsink PN# 8016097ravc It has a 4 pin
> >> connector. I have nothing here at the office to measure mm. Is it
> >> 80mm? 90? 95? Doesn't really look like a 120mm.

> >> I need to know the dimensions so I can find a (simple and easy)
> >> replacement. anyone have any suggestions for a good/simple replacement
> >> fan or heatsink w/fan?

> >> Thanks for any help.

> > Measure it in inches-
> > mm = in.
> > 80 ~ 3-5/32 (3.15)
> > 90 ~ 3-17/32 (3.54)
> > 95 ~ 3-23/32 (3.74)

> > Check any of the electronics houses such as Newegg.com for heatsinks
> > designed for Intel LGA775 socketed motherboards.

> >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...NE&N=100008000...

> Also, be careful which type of heat sink/fan you buy. *I doubt that
> Gateway uses a standard Intel one. *These are a real pain-in-the-ass to
> install.
>
> Consistent with older Gateway models, you will probably find a 3rd party
> heat sink/fan, and it probably attaches with some sort of clips to a
> mounting bracket on the motherboard. *If you can match the make and
> model with a replacement, that is best. *But there are probably other
> alternatives available... Ben Myers- Hide quoted text -

Thank you both. I'd forgotten about simply converting inches to mm
while at work (phone ringing, customers coming in, the boss needing
this or that done, the office cat walking thru the open computer case,
etc... LOL). And after looking at this heatsink more closely, and also
looking at what's available from online vendors, it will be much
easier to buy a new old stock replacement heatsink w/fan.

I know just enough about computers to be dangerous, and I don't feel
comfortable having to install something that installs differently
(clips and such) or might otherwise need modifications to get it all
up and running smoothly.

Thank you again.