GX620 BUZZZZZY

Steve W.

Just picked this thing up and started working on it. Easy to work on BUT
the HD is driving me NUTS. The slide in brackets don't seem to hold it
real solid and it is causing a low audible buzz from the HD vibration.

Anyone have a problem like this?
Suggestions for making it quiet?

If I pull the HD out and set it on a pillow the rest of the machine is
QUIET, even though the main fan looks like a turbine from a jet...

With it running in a quiet room the sound is about like transformer hum,
not super loud but I like things even quieter if possible.

Thanks.

--
Steve W.

Justin

In article <ij50cq$57s$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Steve W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Just picked this thing up and started working on it. Easy to work on BUT
> the HD is driving me NUTS. The slide in brackets don't seem to hold it
> real solid and it is causing a low audible buzz from the HD vibration.
>
> Anyone have a problem like this?
> Suggestions for making it quiet?
>
> If I pull the HD out and set it on a pillow the rest of the machine is
> QUIET, even though the main fan looks like a turbine from a jet...
>
> With it running in a quiet room the sound is about like transformer hum,
> not super loud but I like things even quieter if possible.
>
> Thanks.

I wonder if the hard drive's bearing is starting to wear out.

How about running with the case off, and while the drive is running try
putting your hand on it, stopping the vibration and confirming that is
what is causing the noise.

Steve W.

Justin wrote:
> In article <ij50cq$57s$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Steve W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Just picked this thing up and started working on it. Easy to work on BUT
>> the HD is driving me NUTS. The slide in brackets don't seem to hold it
>> real solid and it is causing a low audible buzz from the HD vibration.
>>
>> Anyone have a problem like this?
>> Suggestions for making it quiet?
>>
>> If I pull the HD out and set it on a pillow the rest of the machine is
>> QUIET, even though the main fan looks like a turbine from a jet...
>>
>> With it running in a quiet room the sound is about like transformer hum,
>> not super loud but I like things even quieter if possible.
>>
>> Thanks.

> I wonder if the hard drive's bearing is starting to wear out.
>
> How about running with the case off, and while the drive is running try
> putting your hand on it, stopping the vibration and confirming that is
> what is causing the noise.

It's definitely the drive. It's a brand new drive. WD Caviar 500 GB
The vibration is about normal compared to the drives I have around, Not
a lot but if you hold the drive you can feel it. The problem seems to be
that the snap in brackets are not real tight and allow it to vibrate
just enough that it causes a buzz. This gets transferred to the side
panel which acts like a speaker, I put a couple small O rings on the
posts that go in the HD mount holes and it's a LOT better.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)

Justin

In article <ij76s2$f6i$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Steve W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Justin wrote:
> > In article <ij50cq$57s$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "Steve W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Just picked this thing up and started working on it. Easy to work on BUT
> >> the HD is driving me NUTS. The slide in brackets don't seem to hold it
> >> real solid and it is causing a low audible buzz from the HD vibration.
> >>
> >> Anyone have a problem like this?
> >> Suggestions for making it quiet?
> >>
> >> If I pull the HD out and set it on a pillow the rest of the machine is
> >> QUIET, even though the main fan looks like a turbine from a jet...
> >>
> >> With it running in a quiet room the sound is about like transformer hum,
> >> not super loud but I like things even quieter if possible.
> >>
> >> Thanks.

> > I wonder if the hard drive's bearing is starting to wear out.
> >
> > How about running with the case off, and while the drive is running try
> > putting your hand on it, stopping the vibration and confirming that is
> > what is causing the noise.

> It's definitely the drive. It's a brand new drive. WD Caviar 500 GB
> The vibration is about normal compared to the drives I have around, Not
> a lot but if you hold the drive you can feel it. The problem seems to be
> that the snap in brackets are not real tight and allow it to vibrate
> just enough that it causes a buzz. This gets transferred to the side
> panel which acts like a speaker, I put a couple small O rings on the
> posts that go in the HD mount holes and it's a LOT better.

that was going to be my next suggestion - some sort of material shoved
in there to keep it from hitting the sides.

Optiplex GX620 (tower) darkrats Dell 8 03-11-2006 10:36 PM
Dell Optiplex GX620 with sharing switch problem lamkelf@gmail.com Dell 0 03-10-2006 09:28 PM
Video Cards in Optiplex GX620 Desktop David Fleischmann Dell 0 10-15-2005 01:28 AM
configuring a GX620 William Kossack Dell 7 07-20-2005 06:05 PM
128MB ATI Radeon X600 SE optiplex GX620 ferg Dell 0 07-15-2005 02:49 PM