Are H/D coolers a good idea or overkill?

Doc

P4 2.4 gig in a generic ATX tower, WinXP, 1 Sata, 1 IDE, NVidia GeForce FX
5200, 1 gig ram, Pinnacle capture card, to be used primarily for video
capture/editing.

Besides the 80mm side case fan it came with with, I've added an 80mm intake
and 120mm exhaust. I could be wrong but I don't sense that the PS airflow is
going to contribute much to overall system cooling given the amount of
airflow I can feel coming out the back of it.

Given this system, do you feel H/D coolers would be of true benefit - i.e.
significantly extend their life?

Doc

"Doc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XqZwg.9091$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> P4 2.4 gig in a generic ATX tower, WinXP, 1 Sata, 1 IDE, NVidia GeForce FX
> 5200, 1 gig ram, Pinnacle capture card, to be used primarily for video
> capture/editing.

Forgot the DVD burner.

John Doe

Is frequent cross posting necessary?

From: "Doc" <docsavage20 xhotmail.xom>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.computer. workshop
Subject: Are H/D coolers a good idea or overkill?
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 06:05:43 GMT

P4 2.4 gig in a generic ATX tower, WinXP, 1 Sata, 1 IDE, NVidia GeForce FX
5200, 1 gig ram, Pinnacle capture card, to be used primarily for video
capture/editing.

Besides the 80mm side case fan it came with with, I've added an 80mm intake
and 120mm exhaust. I could be wrong but I don't sense that the PS airflow is
going to contribute much to overall system cooling given the amount of
airflow I can feel coming out the back of it.

Given this system, do you feel H/D coolers would be of true benefit - i.e.
significantly extend their life?

Doc

Apparently, since you x-posted to the exact same groups.

And not too concerned about excess bandwidth, since not only posting the
entire original message you also post the properties path.

I bet top-posting also really ****es you off.

Are YOU neccessary? No.

*plonk*

"John Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Is frequent cross posting necessary?

newssvr14.news.prodigy.com!newsdbm05.news.prodigy. com!newsdst01.news.prodigy
..net!prodigy.com!newscon04.news.prodigy.net!prodi gy.net!newshub.sdsu.edu!eln
k-nf2-pas!newsfeed.earthlink.net!stamper.news.pas.earthl ink.net!newsread4.ne
ws.pas.earthlink.net.POSTED!2c32b41c!not-for-mail
> From: "Doc" <docsavage20 xhotmail.xom>

alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.computer. works
hop
> Subject: Are H/D coolers a good idea or overkill?
> Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 06:05:43 GMT

Jul 2006 23:05:43 PDT)

alt.comp.periphs.mainboard:7730 alt.computer.workshop:12194

> P4 2.4 gig in a generic ATX tower, WinXP, 1 Sata, 1 IDE, NVidia GeForce FX
> 5200, 1 gig ram, Pinnacle capture card, to be used primarily for video
> capture/editing.
>
> Besides the 80mm side case fan it came with with, I've added an 80mm

intake
> and 120mm exhaust. I could be wrong but I don't sense that the PS airflow

is
> going to contribute much to overall system cooling given the amount of
> airflow I can feel coming out the back of it.
>
> Given this system, do you feel H/D coolers would be of true benefit -

i.e.
> significantly extend their life?

Clint

You can monitor the HD temp's (http://www.hddtemp.com/home/download.html, as
an example) to find out if they need cooling or not.

Clint

"Doc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XqZwg.9091$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> P4 2.4 gig in a generic ATX tower, WinXP, 1 Sata, 1 IDE, NVidia GeForce FX
> 5200, 1 gig ram, Pinnacle capture card, to be used primarily for video
> capture/editing.
>
> Besides the 80mm side case fan it came with with, I've added an 80mm
> intake
> and 120mm exhaust. I could be wrong but I don't sense that the PS airflow
> is
> going to contribute much to overall system cooling given the amount of
> airflow I can feel coming out the back of it.
>
> Given this system, do you feel H/D coolers would be of true benefit -
> i.e.
> significantly extend their life?

Carl

I dont think they need cooling, but what i did was to put my raptor into a
silentmaxx enclosure- that really reduced the racket it makes

Rod Speed

Is quoting all the headers and ranting about cross posting necessary ?

Doc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> P4 2.4 gig in a generic ATX tower, WinXP, 1 Sata, 1 IDE, NVidia
> GeForce FX 5200, 1 gig ram, Pinnacle capture card, to be used
> primarily for video capture/editing.
>
> Besides the 80mm side case fan it came with with, I've added an 80mm
> intake and 120mm exhaust. I could be wrong but I don't sense that the
> PS airflow is going to contribute much to overall system cooling
> given the amount of airflow I can feel coming out the back of it.
>
> Given this system, do you feel H/D coolers would be of true benefit -
> i.e. significantly extend their life?

Unlikely unless you have the two drives mounted adjacent with
no free space between them and you have higher room temps.

Check the hard drive temps using Everest. I prefer to keep the drive temps
below about 40C but 45C is unlikely to make much difference to the life.