Hanns-G with ATI X800GT, vga connection fine, dvi scrambled

GreatBazunka

I have a Hanns-G 19" widescreen LCD with a ATI X800GT graphics card.
When i hook the monitor up through the VGA connection (vga cable with
dvi-vga dongle) it works fine. When i switch the computer to the dvi
cable and dvi input on the monitor, the pictures shows up fine during
post but once windows loads it is all scrambled like lines and things.
Does anyone know what is going on. I cant seem to figure it out.

daytripper

On 5 Nov 2006 20:19:24 -0800, "GreatBazunka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Hanns-G 19" widescreen LCD with a ATI X800GT graphics card.
>When i hook the monitor up through the VGA connection (vga cable with
>dvi-vga dongle) it works fine. When i switch the computer to the dvi
>cable and dvi input on the monitor, the pictures shows up fine during
>post but once windows loads it is all scrambled like lines and things.
>Does anyone know what is going on. I cant seem to figure it out.

Try a lower refresh rate?

Barry Watzman

I'd try a different refresh rate and perhaps resolution.

Really, the whole concept of "refresh rate" is different for an LCD than
for a CRT. In a CRT, at any given instant, a pinpoint electron beam is
illuminating only one single point of the screen, but this beam "scans"
the screen. In an LCD, all of the pixels (e.g. the entire screen) is
lit continuously. You can never get flicker on an LCD display (at least
not an active matrix display), so setting a high refresh rate doesn't do
much. Go into the analog mode, set the display to {it's native panel
resolution} at 60Hz, shut down, switch to digial (DVI) connection, see
if that fixes the problem. [You didn't say what model of Hanns-G LCD,
and it might matter. I have several of the HC-194D's here, but that is
not a widescreen display, it's standard 4:3 aspect ratio. But it is a
very, very good display, especially since they have been available since
September for $120 [after rebate]].

If that works, you can try a slightly higher refresh rate if you want
to, but, again, on an LCD, it's really not going to buy you anything.
Again, the reason for a high display rate is to eliminate flicker from
the scanning beam of the CRT, and in an active matrix LCD display, there
is no flicker at all, the entire display is lit continuously.

You may also have a grossly wrong resolution set in the Windows driver,
a resolution that the display can't cope with.

GreatBazunka wrote:
> I have a Hanns-G 19" widescreen LCD with a ATI X800GT graphics card.
> When i hook the monitor up through the VGA connection (vga cable with
> dvi-vga dongle) it works fine. When i switch the computer to the dvi
> cable and dvi input on the monitor, the pictures shows up fine during
> post but once windows loads it is all scrambled like lines and things.
> Does anyone know what is going on. I cant seem to figure it out.

DaveW

It sounds like you/Windows is using the wrong monitor driver. During POST a
generic monitor driver is always used, but once Windows loads then the
proper Windows driver for that particular model and make of monitor has to
be used.

--
DaveW

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...