What happens to outdated unused inventory?

Buck Rogers

Hi all!

What happens to boxed CPUs ie. Pentium 2.4 Ghz/400 Mhz FSB/Northwood, which
weren't sold in the stores, or which Intel had at one time as inventory?

If the stores return it to Intel, what does Intel do with them? What does
Intel
do with unsold stock? What happens to the thousands/millions of unused
processors?

I am asking because I am trying to find the exact same processor above, and
have not had much success on ebay so far.

Thanks in advance!

Buck.

Judd

"Buck Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsp.s8jiqzzvk1j5fz@buck-hq8w50vj01...
> Hi all!
>
> What happens to boxed CPUs ie. Pentium 2.4 Ghz/400 Mhz FSB/Northwood,

which
> weren't sold in the stores, or which Intel had at one time as inventory?
>
> If the stores return it to Intel, what does Intel do with them? What does
> Intel
> do with unsold stock? What happens to the thousands/millions of unused
> processors?
>
> I am asking because I am trying to find the exact same processor above,

and
> have not had much success on ebay so far.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Buck.

Option a.) Sell them to the Chinese
Option b.) Throw them away
Option c.) melt down the silicon and reuse
Optino d.) Smithsonian Institute

Buck Rogers

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:53:25 +0800, Judd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Option a.) Sell them to the Chinese
> Option b.) Throw them away
> Option c.) melt down the silicon and reuse
> Optino d.) Smithsonian Institute

Heh, they can throw them away, my way!

Lance

I've had to find old logic chips (~20-30 years old) before and
discovered electronics brokers. These dealers buy up the old stock and
sell them to desperate people for a dear price. If you think you'll find
a bargain - forget it.

For example, today I searched for a replacement computer power supply.
This supply had a proprietary connector and all the pin voltages were
swapped around from the ATX standard. Luckily I got one from Gateway for
$26, but I did see another being sold by a broker for $292 (refurb).

If you're truly willing to pay desperate prices, then google the chip
number printed on the processor.

Lance
*****

Buck Rogers thought carefully and wrote on 4/24/2006 6:36 PM:
> Hi all!
>
> What happens to boxed CPUs ie. Pentium 2.4 Ghz/400 Mhz FSB/Northwood, which
> weren't sold in the stores, or which Intel had at one time as inventory?
>
> If the stores return it to Intel, what does Intel do with them? What
> does Intel
> do with unsold stock? What happens to the thousands/millions of unused
> processors?
>
> I am asking because I am trying to find the exact same processor above, and
> have not had much success on ebay so far.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Buck.

Andy

Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz 400MHz 478pin 512KB CPU, OEM
Package: OEM
Manufacturer: Intel
Manufacturer Part#: RK80532PC056512
<http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=P4_2.4-A&c=fr&pid=fd97c3547d588a5ad00cda5718457d4772393be 090898e083c7ef81105633ea9>