How Hard to Change Athlon Processor?

jim evans

How hard/tricky is it to remove and replace an Athlon processor on a
2002 vintage SOHO motherboard?

-- jim

dave AKA vwdoc1

Usually not hard, but don't forget to clean and reapply new thermal grease
on the processor before installing it's fan.
Which board and which processors are you working with?
You may have to tweak the BIOS though and maybe change a jumper on the
board.

"jim evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How hard/tricky is it to remove and replace an Athlon processor on a
> 2002 vintage SOYO motherboard?
>
> -- jim

jim evans

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 04:37:22 GMT, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Which board and which processors are you working with?
>You may have to tweak the BIOS though and maybe change a jumper on the
>board.

K7VTA Pro

-- jim

dave AKA vwdoc1

video here
http://soyotek.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=302

manual here
http://soyotek.com/downloads/filedesc.php?id=2100

misc here
http://soyotek.com/search/?gosearch=1&query=K7VTA+Pro+

"jim evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 04:37:22 GMT, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Which board and which processors are you working with?
>>You may have to tweak the BIOS though and maybe change a jumper on the
>>board.

> K7VTA Pro
>
> -- jim

jim evans

Thanks for your reply and help.

I may also upgrade the BIOS. I notice there's a K7VTA Pro and a
K7VTA Pro v1. How do I tell which I have?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Usually not hard, but don't forget to clean and reapply new thermal grease
>on the processor before installing it's fan.

In the SOYO videos you link to it says not to use grease and to us a
thermal pad instead. The seem to say grease doesn't last.

-- jim

dave AKA vwdoc1

Good I am glad you saw that video.
I think that the grease is good if you are constantly taking the processor
fan and processor in and out while testing. Just remove the old grease and
reapply some new grease.
Pad is supposed to be better for the long run and it doesn't run when it
gets too hot like the grease will. The grease should last awhile though
before you might have to reapply it.

You should be able to set some safety measures in the BIOS so that if the
processor gets too hot the computer will shut down before any serious
damage. I had a test computer to try it out on and it works. I installed
the fan without any thermal aid and while running Windows the computer beep
and then shut down. After installing the grease the temp drop by maybe 30
degrees. 8^o

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

"jim evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 04:37:22 GMT, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Usually not hard, but don't forget to clean and reapply new thermal grease
>>on the processor before installing it's fan.

> In the SOYO videos you link to it says not to use grease and to us a
> thermal pad instead. The seem to say grease doesn't last.
>
> -- jim

dave AKA vwdoc1

Look carefully on the Board and it might show which one it is.

"jim evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your reply and help.
>
> I may also upgrade the BIOS. I notice there's a K7VTA Pro and a
> K7VTA Pro v1. How do I tell which I have?
>

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:46:45 GMT, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>video here
>>http://soyotek.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=302
>>
>>manual here
>>http://soyotek.com/downloads/filedesc.php?id=2100
>>
>>misc here
>>http://soyotek.com/search/?gosearch=1&query=K7VTA+Pro+
>>

>>"jim evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> K7VTA Pro
>>>
>>> -- jim

> -- jim

jim evans

Hi again Dave

Thanks for all your help.

When I got to the point of changing the processor I realized these videos only
discuss changing the heatsink. They don't explain how to remove the processor?

Are there any special instructions for prying the processor out of its socket?

"dave AKA vwdoc1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>video here
>http://soyotek.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=302
>
>manual here
>http://soyotek.com/downloads/filedesc.php?id=2100
>
>misc here
>http://soyotek.com/search/?gosearch=1&query=K7VTA+Pro+
>

>"jim evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 04:37:22 GMT, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Which board and which processors are you working with?
>>>You may have to tweak the BIOS though and maybe change a jumper on the
>>>board.

>> K7VTA Pro
>>
>> -- jim

jim

f/fgeorge

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 08:54:51 -0600, jim evans
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi again Dave
>
>Thanks for all your help.
>
>When I got to the point of changing the processor I realized these videos only
>discuss changing the heatsink. They don't explain how to remove the processor?
>
>Are there any special instructions for prying the processor out of its socket?

NEVER pry a cpu out of its socket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is ALWAYS an easy way to get it in or out. Most of the time
there is a lever to one side of the chip. Gently push down o nthe
lever and move it SLIGHTLY away from the chip. It should life up and
then you can life the chip straight up and out. ALWAYS make sure you
are grounded before you play with anything inside the box.
To install the chip look VERY carefully at the arrangement of the
pins, you will see one corner that is not a perfect square. That and
the exact same place on the mb must be aligned and the cpu will slip
right into its place. Remember to lift the lever before inserting and
then lock the lever when the cpu is seated. BE GENTLE! If you bend a
pin the cpu will not work!!!!!!!!! Yes pins can be straigtened, but
again BE GENTLE!!!!!