Hard drive replacement and restore cd

Will Smith

I replaced a hard drive for a friend in his Compaq Presario 5000 and it
would not allow me to use the recovery CD. I believe this is due to the
hidden file that compaq installs on its hard drives. I got around this by
just imaging the hard drive onto the new one.
Now, the guy got a virus that completely wiped the hard drive and when
you insert the restore CD it says Restore will not run on this machine.
Any suggestions on where I can get this hidden file so this guy can use
the restore CD?

doS

There is no hidden files, they were visible on the D partition.

"Will Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsUZSa.114711$N7.15906@sccrnsc03...
> I replaced a hard drive for a friend in his Compaq Presario 5000 and it
> would not allow me to use the recovery CD. I believe this is due to the
> hidden file that compaq installs on its hard drives. I got around this by
> just imaging the hard drive onto the new one.
> Now, the guy got a virus that completely wiped the hard drive and when
> you insert the restore CD it says Restore will not run on this machine.
> Any suggestions on where I can get this hidden file so this guy can

use
> the restore CD?

David B.

If the QR cd your trying to use is a single, baby blue colored disk, this disk will only work on the original drive that has the
system_sav partition and data intact. In order to get the machine back to factory with a new hard drive (other than the imaging
method) is to call Compaq and order the 2 disk QR kit.