Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Hard Drive Restore Question

 
 
Scott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-21-2009, 12:49 AM
I have two Win98 machines and two WinXP machines. I put Acronis images for
their hard drives on a 500GB external WD drive. I divided the external drive into
two partitions. I thought I had formatted the Win98 backup partition to FAT32,
but I just checked and both partitions are NTFS. Apparently, in WinXP, you
cannot format a partition larger than 32GB in FAT32 file format.

What puzzles me is that I've restored the hard drive on both of my Win98 machines
several times from the Acronis image stored in NTSF format, and the computers
work fine. Does Acronis compensate for the different file formats when it restores?

I've ordered a larger external WD drive for backup. I'm thinking I should back
up the Win98 drive images in FAT32 file format. I've found a program called
Swiss Knife that will format a partition for FAT32 in larger than the 32GB size,
which sounds like what I need.

Is this the best way to do it...keep the Win98 backup in FAT32 format?

Thanks!
Scott



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
BillW50
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-21-2009, 03:04 PM
In news:R4Atm.165529$(E-Mail Removed),
Scott typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 19:49:36 -0500:
> I have two Win98 machines and two WinXP machines. I put Acronis images
> for their hard drives on a 500GB external WD drive. I divided the
> external drive into two partitions. I thought I had formatted the
> Win98 backup partition to FAT32, but I just checked and both
> partitions are NTFS. Apparently, in WinXP, you cannot format a
> partition larger than 32GB in FAT32 file format.


Sure XP can format larger than 32GB in FAT32, as I do it all of the
time.

> What puzzles me is that I've restored the hard drive on both of my
> Win98 machines several times from the Acronis image stored in NTSF
> format, and the computers work fine. Does Acronis compensate for the
> different file formats when it restores?


Yes, although you are doing the restoring from XP and not 98, right?

> I've ordered a larger external WD drive for backup. I'm thinking I
> should back up the Win98 drive images in FAT32 file format. I've found
> a program called Swiss Knife that will format a partition for FAT32 in
> larger than the 32GB size, which sounds like what I need.
>
> Is this the best way to do it...keep the Win98 backup in FAT32 format?


You are running Acronis True Image only under Windows XP, right? If so,
it shouldn't really matter if it is in NTFS or FAT32. It is really a
personal preference.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Scott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-21-2009, 10:55 PM

"BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:h984mo$894$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> In news:R4Atm.165529$(E-Mail Removed),
> Scott typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 19:49:36 -0500:
>> I have two Win98 machines and two WinXP machines. I put Acronis images
>> for their hard drives on a 500GB external WD drive. I divided the
>> external drive into two partitions. I thought I had formatted the
>> Win98 backup partition to FAT32, but I just checked and both
>> partitions are NTFS. Apparently, in WinXP, you cannot format a
>> partition larger than 32GB in FAT32 file format.

>
> Sure XP can format larger than 32GB in FAT32, as I do it all of the time.
>
>> What puzzles me is that I've restored the hard drive on both of my
>> Win98 machines several times from the Acronis image stored in NTSF
>> format, and the computers work fine. Does Acronis compensate for the
>> different file formats when it restores?

>
> Yes, although you are doing the restoring from XP and not 98, right?
>
>> I've ordered a larger external WD drive for backup. I'm thinking I
>> should back up the Win98 drive images in FAT32 file format. I've found
>> a program called Swiss Knife that will format a partition for FAT32 in
>> larger than the 32GB size, which sounds like what I need.
>>
>> Is this the best way to do it...keep the Win98 backup in FAT32 format?

>
> You are running Acronis True Image only under Windows XP, right? If so, it shouldn't really
> matter if it is in NTFS or FAT32. It is really a personal preference.
>
> --
> Bill
> Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
> Windows XP SP2
>

Bill,

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm running Acronis True Image on
both my Win98 and WinXP machines...so I restore accordingly. I'm trying
to figure out why the partition with the Win98 Acronis image for the Win98
machine is in NTFS format. I read online that XP cannot format larger than
32GB in FAT32, but if you do it all the time, I should then be able to.

Anyway, I have the SwissKnife program that will format the Win98 backup
image file in FAT32. I assume that's the format to use when restoring to a
Win98 machine.

Thanks!
Scott


 
Reply With Quote
 
BillW50
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2009, 02:22 PM
In news:cwTtm.202865$(E-Mail Removed),
Scott typed on Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:55:47 -0500:
> Bill,
>
> Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm running Acronis True Image
> on both my Win98 and WinXP machines...so I restore accordingly. I'm
> trying to figure out why the partition with the Win98 Acronis image
> for the Win98 machine is in NTFS format.


Oh okay, Scott. I believe the Acronis True Image restore CD can read
NTFS. So even in NTFS you should be ok. But I don't understand how you
can be backing up with Acronis True Image under Windows 98 and Acronis
True Image is saving it to NTFS. If that is true, Acronis True Image
must be writing NTFS even under Windows 98. If true, I wouldn't worry
about changing it over to FAT32.

> I read online that XP cannot format larger than 32GB in FAT32, but if
> you do it all the time, I should then be able to.


Well I believe I was anyway. I just Googled it and Google even says you
can't. Maybe I was mistaken. I'll install an old 60GB hard drive I have
in the drawer and see if Windows XP will format it in FAT32. As I have
many large drives in FAT32 format and I don't recall having a problem
formatting them. I could have used a partition manager I suppose.

> Anyway, I have the SwissKnife program that will format the Win98
> backup image file in FAT32. I assume that's the format to use when
> restoring to a Win98 machine.


Before you do, did you read stuff like this about the program?

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellit...g-utitlty.html

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2


 
Reply With Quote
 
Scott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2009, 03:24 PM

"BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:h9amio$25u$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> In news:cwTtm.202865$(E-Mail Removed),
> Scott typed on Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:55:47 -0500:
>> Bill,
>>
>> Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm running Acronis True Image on both my Win98 and
>> WinXP machines...so I restore accordingly. I'm trying to figure out why the partition with
>> the Win98 Acronis image for the Win98 machine is in NTFS format.

>
> Oh okay, Scott. I believe the Acronis True Image restore CD can read NTFS. So even in NTFS
> you should be ok. But I don't understand how you can be backing up with Acronis True Image
> under Windows 98 and Acronis True Image is saving it to NTFS. If that is true, Acronis True
> Image must be writing NTFS even under Windows 98. If true, I wouldn't worry about changing
> it over to FAT32.


I'm thinking that when I formatted the external drive originally, it wouldn't
accept a larger than 32GB partition in FAT32, which is why I put it in NTFS
format. I've restored to Win98 in this format several times with no problem.

I'm still thinking it makes more sense to put the Win98 images on a FAT32
partition.
>
>> I read online that XP cannot format larger than 32GB in FAT32, but if you do it all the
>> time, I should then be able to.

>
> Well I believe I was anyway. I just Googled it and Google even says you can't. Maybe I was
> mistaken. I'll install an old 60GB hard drive I have in the drawer and see if Windows XP
> will format it in FAT32. As I have many large drives in FAT32 format and I don't recall
> having a problem formatting them. I could have used a partition manager I suppose.


When I get the new external drive in two days, I'll try formatting a larger
partition in FAT32, and I'll let you know. Keep me posted on your test.
>
>> Anyway, I have the SwissKnife program that will format the Win98 backup image file in
>> FAT32. I assume that's the format to use when restoring to a Win98 machine.

>
> Before you do, did you read stuff like this about the program?
>
> http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellit...g-utitlty.html


I checked this site, and I'm wondering what they mean about: "allow the FAT32
partition to work with the P+". What is P+ ?

Thanks!
Scott
>
> --
> Bill
> Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
> Windows XP SP2
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
BillW50
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2009, 04:02 PM
In news:s%5um.179015$(E-Mail Removed),
Scott typed on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:24:54 -0500:
> I'm thinking that when I formatted the external drive originally, it
> wouldn't accept a larger than 32GB partition in FAT32, which is why I
> put it in NTFS format. I've restored to Win98 in this format several
> times with no problem.
> I'm still thinking it makes more sense to put the Win98 images on a
> FAT32 partition.


Hi Scott. Yes I can see the point of that. <vbg>

> When I get the new external drive in two days, I'll try formatting a
> larger partition in FAT32, and I'll let you know. Keep me posted on
> your test.


I just tried it with this netbook under Windows XP SP2. The only choice
was NTFS and that is all for this 60GB drive. So I must have used a
partition manager (some are free too). But I checked under Acronis True
Image and on the top Tools -> Add Drive, will partition it and format it
in FAT32 too.

> I checked this site, and I'm wondering what they mean about: "allow
> the FAT32 partition to work with the P+". What is P+ ?


Fortecstar Passion+ is my guess. And I guess it is an UK satellite DVR I
think.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2


 
Reply With Quote
 
Scott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2009, 05:01 PM

"BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:h9asfe$j06$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> In news:s%5um.179015$(E-Mail Removed),
> Scott typed on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:24:54 -0500:
>> I'm thinking that when I formatted the external drive originally, it wouldn't accept a
>> larger than 32GB partition in FAT32, which is why I put it in NTFS format. I've restored to
>> Win98 in this format several times with no problem.
>> I'm still thinking it makes more sense to put the Win98 images on a FAT32 partition.

>
> Hi Scott. Yes I can see the point of that. <vbg>
>
>> When I get the new external drive in two days, I'll try formatting a larger partition in
>> FAT32, and I'll let you know. Keep me posted on your test.

>
> I just tried it with this netbook under Windows XP SP2. The only choice was NTFS and that is
> all for this 60GB drive. So I must have used a partition manager (some are free too). But I
> checked under Acronis True Image and on the top Tools -> Add Drive, will partition it and
> format it in FAT32 too.


Yes, I now see the Add Drive feature on Acronis. That will make it easy
to set up FAT32 and NTFS partitions on the new external drive, which is
exactly what I was trying to do.

When I get the drive on Thursday, I'll let you know it worked.

Thanks again, Bill!
Scott

>
>> I checked this site, and I'm wondering what they mean about: "allow the FAT32 partition to
>> work with the P+". What is P+ ?

>
> Fortecstar Passion+ is my guess. And I guess it is an UK satellite DVR I think.
>
> --
> Bill
> Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
> Windows XP SP2
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Scott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2009, 06:44 PM

"BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:h9asfe$j06$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> In news:s%5um.179015$(E-Mail Removed),
> Scott typed on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:24:54 -0500:
>> I'm thinking that when I formatted the external drive originally, it wouldn't accept a
>> larger than 32GB partition in FAT32, which is why I put it in NTFS format. I've restored to
>> Win98 in this format several times with no problem.
>> I'm still thinking it makes more sense to put the Win98 images on a FAT32 partition.

>
> Hi Scott. Yes I can see the point of that. <vbg>
>
>> When I get the new external drive in two days, I'll try formatting a larger partition in
>> FAT32, and I'll let you know. Keep me posted on your test.

>
> I just tried it with this netbook under Windows XP SP2. The only choice was NTFS and that is
> all for this 60GB drive. So I must have used a partition manager (some are free too). But I
> checked under Acronis True Image and on the top Tools -> Add Drive, will partition it and
> format it in FAT32 too.
>
>> I checked this site, and I'm wondering what they mean about: "allow the FAT32 partition to
>> work with the P+". What is P+ ?

>
> Fortecstar Passion+ is my guess. And I guess it is an UK satellite DVR I think.
>
> --
> Bill
> Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
> Windows XP SP2
>

Bill,

I see you have a netbook. My wife and I are thinking of getting an ASUS
netbook (for traveling). What's your opinion of the glossy screen vs. matte
screen? We have a GW notebook with the glossy screen, and we like it.
I've seen comments by people who say a glossy screen on a netbook is annoying.
What do you think?

Scott


 
Reply With Quote
 
SC Tom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2009, 01:55 PM

"Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Uitvm.54$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:h9asfe$j06$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> In news:s%5um.179015$(E-Mail Removed),
>> Scott typed on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:24:54 -0500:
>>> I'm thinking that when I formatted the external drive originally, it
>>> wouldn't accept a larger than 32GB partition in FAT32, which is why I
>>> put it in NTFS format. I've restored to Win98 in this format several
>>> times with no problem.
>>> I'm still thinking it makes more sense to put the Win98 images on a
>>> FAT32 partition.

>>
>> Hi Scott. Yes I can see the point of that. <vbg>
>>
>>> When I get the new external drive in two days, I'll try formatting a
>>> larger partition in FAT32, and I'll let you know. Keep me posted on your
>>> test.

>>
>> I just tried it with this netbook under Windows XP SP2. The only choice
>> was NTFS and that is all for this 60GB drive. So I must have used a
>> partition manager (some are free too). But I checked under Acronis True
>> Image and on the top Tools -> Add Drive, will partition it and format it
>> in FAT32 too.
>>
>>> I checked this site, and I'm wondering what they mean about: "allow the
>>> FAT32 partition to work with the P+". What is P+ ?

>>
>> Fortecstar Passion+ is my guess. And I guess it is an UK satellite DVR I
>> think.
>>
>> --
>> Bill
>> Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
>> Windows XP SP2
>>

> Bill,
>
> I see you have a netbook. My wife and I are thinking of getting an ASUS
> netbook (for traveling). What's your opinion of the glossy screen vs.
> matte
> screen? We have a GW notebook with the glossy screen, and we like it.
> I've seen comments by people who say a glossy screen on a netbook is
> annoying.
> What do you think?
>
> Scott
>


My M6850-FX has the glossy screen, and I find it annoying as hell if there's
any side or "behind me" lighting in the room. If I set my wallpaper or
background to a light-colored image, it's not so bad. But if I'm in a public
place like Starbuck's, I have to find a seat next to the wall and tilt the
screen down to where the lights don't reflect on it, but that makes it
harder to read.
My last HP also had the glossy screen- same problem. But the HP/Compaq
before that had the matte screen and I loved it. Too bad it didn't have the
horsepower to upgrade or I'd still be using it.
I would imagine that a netbook with the glossy screen would be even more
annoying since it's so much smaller than a full-size, therefore less light
would give more of an overall reflection, if you know what I mean.

SC Tom

 
Reply With Quote
 
BillW50
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2009, 06:57 PM
In news:Uitvm.54$(E-Mail Removed),
Scott typed on Sat, 26 Sep 2009 13:44:58 -0500:
> Bill,
>
> I see you have a netbook. My wife and I are thinking of getting an
> ASUS netbook (for traveling). What's your opinion of the glossy
> screen vs. matte screen? We have a GW notebook with the glossy
> screen, and we like it. I've seen comments by people who say a glossy
> screen on a netbook is annoying.
> What do you think?
>
> Scott


Well some people dislike them and some people love them. I generally
find glossy screens usually has better contrast (blacker blacks). But
the refection from the glossy I don't like so much. So I have mixed
feelings about them.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dell E510 Factory Restore with Second Hard Drive Question Von Fourche Dell 6 10-15-2012 02:48 PM
I had IDE hard drive and now want to restore disc image onto new SATA drive Delta007bhd Asus 10 09-27-2010 09:39 PM
Best Hard Disks Buy Online, Cost effective Transcend Hard Disks, BestPrice External Hard Disks, Imation Hard Disks Smart Shoppers Laptops 0 11-03-2009 06:09 AM
Acer Travelmate restore using restore CD from different type gpranoto@gmail.com Laptops 2 12-08-2006 04:16 AM
Restore Mac Mini with Restore Disk ridergroov Apple 4 01-09-2006 02:48 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:15 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment