Hard drive seeks new computer

wooks

My R50 Thinkpad has basically fallen to bits.

My plan is to obtain a used machine on ebay and slot the hard drive
from my old machine into it and sell the R50 for scrap.

My hard drive has an ASM P/N of 13N6702, FRU of P/N 13N6703.

How can I find out what model thinkpad it is compatible with.

thanks.

Cramden

Buy a new case and keep it for a spare

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:21:26 -0700, wooks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My R50 Thinkpad has basically fallen to bits.
>
>My plan is to obtain a used machine on ebay and slot the hard drive
>from my old machine into it and sell the R50 for scrap.
>
>My hard drive has an ASM P/N of 13N6702, FRU of P/N 13N6703.
>
>How can I find out what model thinkpad it is compatible with.
>
>thanks.

Ben Myers

That's a 30GB IDE drive, compatible with any Thinkpad that uses IDE drives, not
the newer serial ATA (SATA) ones. Compatible with other brands, too. These
drives are commodity items.

If you put the drive in a different model, Windows will no longer run properly.
If you were running Linux in the R50, you are in luck.

As others have suggested, you could buy yourself an external USB drive case and
put the drive in the case... Ben Myers

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:21:26 -0700, wooks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My R50 Thinkpad has basically fallen to bits.
>
>My plan is to obtain a used machine on ebay and slot the hard drive
>from my old machine into it and sell the R50 for scrap.
>
>My hard drive has an ASM P/N of 13N6702, FRU of P/N 13N6703.
>
>How can I find out what model thinkpad it is compatible with.
>
>thanks.

Sam Sloan

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:05:33 -0400, Ben Myers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you put the drive in a different model, Windows will no longer run properly.
>If you were running Linux in the R50, you are in luck.

Why not? I keep a spare HD loaded with XP and it has adapted to every IDE laptop
I've dropped it into.

Ben Myers

If the motherboard chipsets are different between the old and new laptops,
Windows 2000 or XP on the hard drive will halt with a BSOD. This is because the
Windows install uses some chipset-specific modules during the early part of the
system boot process. The chipset-specific modules assume simply that their
chipset is present, and when a test for the chipset fails, a vaguely worded BSOD
is the error indication.

If the chipsets are the same, this will not likely happen. If the drive boots
in the new laptop, then the drivers for the other chipsets (video, audio,
Ethernet) different between the two need to be installed. Next hurdle is if
you then attempt to update Windows through the Microsoft update web site is a
message that tells you the hardware configuration has changed, and sometimes
Windows itself tells you that the hardware has changed when the system boots.

If your spare HD has adapted to every IDE laptop, then I can only surmise that
the motherboard chipsets of all the laptops you've tried are the same. This is
probably a reasonable assumption, because there is far more consistency among
laptop chipsets (mostly Intel) than desktops (Intel, VIA, AMD, others).

When moving a hard drive from my older laptop to the newer one I now use, I had
to take extra precautions to make it all work... Ben Myers

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:07:50 -0400, Sam Sloan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:05:33 -0400, Ben Myers
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>If you put the drive in a different model, Windows will no longer run properly.
>>If you were running Linux in the R50, you are in luck.

>Why not? I keep a spare HD loaded with XP and it has adapted to every IDE laptop
>I've dropped it into.

wooks

>My R50 Thinkpad has basically fallen to bits.

The machine is destined for ebay.

It has good and working hard disk, power supply, battery, CD-RW. Both
hingse are broke and it's held together by ribbon.

Am I likely to achieve a better price selling off the bits
individually or should I keep it together?