Hardware/software certification question.

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Dear guru's,

We want to build the following configuration:

- System x3950 (2 times) running Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (version 3
or 4)
- HBA's qla2340
- San Volume Conttroler (version 3.1)
- Storage cabinet: IBM Total Storage 8300

- On top of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS, we want to run Red Hat
Cluster Manager and Oracle.

The customer demands a certified environment, we are unable to find
whether this environment is certified or not. The IBM website only shows
parts of the environment and some certification matrices seem to
contradict or do not match for publication date.

Thank you in advance and sorry for the crossposting.

Best regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

bronzefury

Hi,

Just curious, why QLA2340? It uses a PCI-X interface. Why not start with
PCIe? Have you considered Emulex or LSI Logic HBA?

bronze

"Jan Gerrit Kootstra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a186e$45474c00$d55df781$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Dear guru's,
>

> We want to build the following configuration:
>
> - System x3950 (2 times) running Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (version 3 or
> 4)
> - HBA's qla2340
> - San Volume Conttroler (version 3.1)
> - Storage cabinet: IBM Total Storage 8300
>
> - On top of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS, we want to run Red Hat
> Cluster Manager and Oracle.
>

> The customer demands a certified environment, we are unable to find
> whether this environment is certified or not. The IBM website only shows
> parts of the environment and some certification matrices seem to
> contradict or do not match for publication date.
>
> Thank you in advance and sorry for the crossposting.
>

> Best regards,
>

> Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Rob Turk

"Jan Gerrit Kootstra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a186e$45474c00$d55df781$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Dear guru's,
>

> We want to build the following configuration:
>
> - System x3950 (2 times) running Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (version 3 or
> 4)
> - HBA's qla2340
> - San Volume Conttroler (version 3.1)
> - Storage cabinet: IBM Total Storage 8300
>
> - On top of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS, we want to run Red Hat
> Cluster Manager and Oracle.
>

> The customer demands a certified environment, we are unable to find
> whether this environment is certified or not. The IBM website only shows
> parts of the environment and some certification matrices seem to
> contradict or do not match for publication date.
>
> Thank you in advance and sorry for the crossposting.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Most likely you'll have to work through some of the compatibility matrices.
Start with the SVC. I'm sure it's qualified to run with the IBM 8300 and
QLogic QLA2340 (check BIOS/firmware levels). Then find a RedHat version that
supports the QLA2340 and also the Oracle version your customer wants to run.

Rob

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

bronzefury wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just curious, why QLA2340? It uses a PCI-X interface. Why not start with
> PCIe? Have you considered Emulex or LSI Logic HBA?
>
> bronze
>
> "Jan Gerrit Kootstra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:a186e$45474c00$d55df781$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>
>>Dear guru's,
>>

>>We want to build the following configuration:
>>
>>- System x3950 (2 times) running Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (version 3 or
>>4)
>>- HBA's qla2340
>>- San Volume Conttroler (version 3.1)
>>- Storage cabinet: IBM Total Storage 8300
>>
>>- On top of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS, we want to run Red Hat
>>Cluster Manager and Oracle.
>>

>>The customer demands a certified environment, we are unable to find
>>whether this environment is certified or not. The IBM website only shows
>>parts of the environment and some certification matrices seem to
>>contradict or do not match for publication date.
>>
>>Thank you in advance and sorry for the crossposting.
>>

>>Best regards,
>>

>>Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Bronze,

I did not make those choices, I just get a server and then got the
question can you make it work?

If you have a suggestion that is certified, I would be very pleased.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Rob Turk wrote:
> "Jan Gerrit Kootstra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:a186e$45474c00$d55df781$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>
>>Dear guru's,
>>

>>We want to build the following configuration:
>>
>>- System x3950 (2 times) running Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (version 3 or
>>4)
>>- HBA's qla2340
>>- San Volume Conttroler (version 3.1)
>>- Storage cabinet: IBM Total Storage 8300
>>
>>- On top of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS, we want to run Red Hat
>>Cluster Manager and Oracle.
>>

>>The customer demands a certified environment, we are unable to find
>>whether this environment is certified or not. The IBM website only shows
>>parts of the environment and some certification matrices seem to
>>contradict or do not match for publication date.
>>
>>Thank you in advance and sorry for the crossposting.
>>

>>Best regards,
>>
>>Jan Gerrit Kootstra

> Most likely you'll have to work through some of the compatibility matrices.
> Start with the SVC. I'm sure it's qualified to run with the IBM 8300 and
> QLogic QLA2340 (check BIOS/firmware levels). Then find a RedHat version that
> supports the QLA2340 and also the Oracle version your customer wants to run.
>
> Rob

Rob,

After 2 weeks of daily search, my collegue and I failed to solve the puzzle.

Hope someone here solved it already.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Gunhaver05

I'll go a step further and ask... why the SVC?

bronzefury wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just curious, why QLA2340? It uses a PCI-X interface. Why not start with
> PCIe? Have you considered Emulex or LSI Logic HBA?
>
> bronze
>
> "Jan Gerrit Kootstra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:a186e$45474c00$d55df781$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > Dear guru's,
> >

> > We want to build the following configuration:
> >
> > - System x3950 (2 times) running Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (version 3 or
> > 4)
> > - HBA's qla2340
> > - San Volume Conttroler (version 3.1)
> > - Storage cabinet: IBM Total Storage 8300
> >
> > - On top of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS, we want to run Red Hat
> > Cluster Manager and Oracle.
> >

> > The customer demands a certified environment, we are unable to find
> > whether this environment is certified or not. The IBM website only shows
> > parts of the environment and some certification matrices seem to
> > contradict or do not match for publication date.
> >
> > Thank you in advance and sorry for the crossposting.
> >

> > Best regards,
> >

> > Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Rob Turk

"Jan Gerrit Kootstra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f3676$454904d4$d55df781$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Rob Turk wrote:
>> "Jan Gerrit Kootstra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:a186e$45474c00$d55df781$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>>>Dear guru's,
>>>

>>>We want to build the following configuration:
>>>
>>>- System x3950 (2 times) running Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (version 3
>>>or 4)
>>>- HBA's qla2340
>>>- San Volume Conttroler (version 3.1)
>>>- Storage cabinet: IBM Total Storage 8300
>>>
>>>- On top of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS, we want to run Red Hat
>>>Cluster Manager and Oracle.
>>>

>>>The customer demands a certified environment, we are unable to find
>>>whether this environment is certified or not. The IBM website only shows
>>>parts of the environment and some certification matrices seem to
>>>contradict or do not match for publication date.
>>>
>>>Thank you in advance and sorry for the crossposting.
>>>

>>>Best regards,
>>>
>>>Jan Gerrit Kootstra

>> Most likely you'll have to work through some of the compatibility
>> matrices. Start with the SVC. I'm sure it's qualified to run with the IBM
>> 8300 and QLogic QLA2340 (check BIOS/firmware levels). Then find a RedHat
>> version that supports the QLA2340 and also the Oracle version your
>> customer wants to run.
>>
>> Rob
>>

> Rob,
>

> After 2 weeks of daily search, my collegue and I failed to solve the
> puzzle.
>
> Hope someone here solved it already.
>
> Kind regards,
>

> Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hi Jan Gerrit,

Have you tried this link:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...d=ssg1S1002864

It shows all supported operating systems, HBA's and storage arrays for the
SVC. This confirms support for RHEL 4.0 AS U3 with QLA2340 and shows
required BIOS/driver levels. It also includes the DS8000 with version
details. All you need to do is find out if Oracle runs on RHEL 4.0 AS U3...

If you'd like to talk direct, call our office tomorrow... +31-35-695-7010
(Dutch and/or English ;-)

Met vriendelijke groet,

Rob

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Gunhaver05 wrote:
> I'll go a step further and ask... why the SVC?
>
> bronzefury wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Just curious, why QLA2340? It uses a PCI-X interface. Why not start with
>>PCIe? Have you considered Emulex or LSI Logic HBA?
>>
>>bronze
>>
>>"Jan Gerrit Kootstra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:a186e$45474c00$d55df781$(E-Mail Removed) l...
>>
>>>Dear guru's,
>>>

>>>We want to build the following configuration:
>>>
>>>- System x3950 (2 times) running Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (version 3 or
>>>4)
>>>- HBA's qla2340
>>>- San Volume Conttroler (version 3.1)
>>>- Storage cabinet: IBM Total Storage 8300
>>>
>>>- On top of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS, we want to run Red Hat
>>>Cluster Manager and Oracle.
>>>

>>>The customer demands a certified environment, we are unable to find
>>>whether this environment is certified or not. The IBM website only shows
>>>parts of the environment and some certification matrices seem to
>>>contradict or do not match for publication date.
>>>
>>>Thank you in advance and sorry for the crossposting.
>>>

>>>Best regards,
>>>

>>>Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Gunhaver05,

Company policy, to make all storage boxes 'virtual'.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Rob Turk wrote:
> "Jan Gerrit Kootstra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:f3676$454904d4$d55df781$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>
>>Rob Turk wrote:
>>
>>>"Jan Gerrit Kootstra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:a186e$45474c00$d55df781$(E-Mail Removed). nl...

>>>Most likely you'll have to work through some of the compatibility
>>>matrices. Start with the SVC. I'm sure it's qualified to run with the IBM
>>>8300 and QLogic QLA2340 (check BIOS/firmware levels). Then find a RedHat
>>>version that supports the QLA2340 and also the Oracle version your
>>>customer wants to run.
>>>
>>>Rob
>>>

>>Rob,
>>

>>After 2 weeks of daily search, my collegue and I failed to solve the
>>puzzle.
>>
>>Hope someone here solved it already.
>>
>>Kind regards,
>>

>>Jan Gerrit Kootstra

> Hi Jan Gerrit,
>
> Have you tried this link:
> http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...d=ssg1S1002864
>
> It shows all supported operating systems, HBA's and storage arrays for the
> SVC. This confirms support for RHEL 4.0 AS U3 with QLA2340 and shows
> required BIOS/driver levels. It also includes the DS8000 with version
> details. All you need to do is find out if Oracle runs on RHEL 4.0 AS U3...
>
> If you'd like to talk direct, call our office tomorrow... +31-35-695-7010
> (Dutch and/or English ;-)
>
> Met vriendelijke groet,
>
> Rob

Rob,

We have seen that link, but we like to use RHEL AS 4U4. Oracle is
certified on all RHEL AS 3 update levels upto 3U7 and RHEL AS/ES 4
update levels upto RHEL 4U4, based on a metalink search.

Thank you for your response.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

P.S. I probably cannot call you Friday 3-11-2006, I will be out to see a
doctor. Might call you Monday 6-11-2006.