Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Has anyone had expetience with the XPS 9100? Is it worth buying for average (non gaming) use?

 
 
Cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2011, 04:31 AM

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
BluntChisel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2011, 06:42 PM
"Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>


I don't have experience of this model, but it looks like a fairly high
performance model, and I suspect has higher than average power consumption.

When choosing a PC, like most people, I ask "Does it have enough processing
power to still be useful in 5 years time?". But recently, because
electricity prices in the UK are rising steeply, I've also been asking "Is
the power consumption low enough that it will be worthwhile switching it on
in 5 years time?". So these days I'm less likely to buy a PC that has lots
more processing power than I currently need. On the other hand, if the PC
won't be left on for long periods, or you live somewhere where electricity
prices are likely to remain affordable, that's not such an issue.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
powrwrap
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2011, 02:58 PM
> On Feb 16, 12:42*pm, "BluntChisel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> But recently, because
> electricity prices in the UK are rising steeply, I've also been asking "Is
> the power consumption low enough that it will be worthwhile switching it on
> in 5 years time?". So these days I'm less likely to buy a PC that has lots
> more processing power than I currently need. On the other hand, if the PC
> won't be left on for long periods, or you live somewhere where electricity
> prices are likely to remain affordable, that's not such an issue.


Curious. What is the price of electricity in the UK, per kilowatt-
hour?


 
Reply With Quote
 
BluntChisel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2011, 05:05 PM
"powrwrap" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Feb 16, 12:42 pm, "BluntChisel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> But recently, because
>> electricity prices in the UK are rising steeply, I've also been asking

"Is
>> the power consumption low enough that it will be worthwhile switching it

on
>> in 5 years time?". So these days I'm less likely to buy a PC that has

lots
>> more processing power than I currently need. On the other hand, if the PC
>> won't be left on for long periods, or you live somewhere where

electricity
>> prices are likely to remain affordable, that's not such an issue.


>Curious. What is the price of electricity in the UK, per kilowatt-
>hour?


I pay between 13 and 18 pence per kWh, including taxes. I expect the price
to continue rising faster than average wage increases. At that price, a
5-year-old Poweredge 830 (3GHz Pentium D) server costs around 200 pounds per
year in electricity, which is about 50% of the cost of a brand-new, more
efficient and usefully faster small server. For most of the year, the heat
generated by the server is unwanted.


 
Reply With Quote
 
BillW50
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2011, 05:47 PM
BluntChisel wrote:
> "powrwrap" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On Feb 16, 12:42 pm, "BluntChisel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> But recently, because
>>> electricity prices in the UK are rising steeply, I've also been asking

> "Is
>>> the power consumption low enough that it will be worthwhile switching it

> on
>>> in 5 years time?". So these days I'm less likely to buy a PC that has

> lots
>>> more processing power than I currently need. On the other hand, if the PC
>>> won't be left on for long periods, or you live somewhere where

> electricity
>>> prices are likely to remain affordable, that's not such an issue.

>
>> Curious. What is the price of electricity in the UK, per kilowatt-
>> hour?

>
> I pay between 13 and 18 pence per kWh, including taxes. I expect the price
> to continue rising faster than average wage increases. At that price, a
> 5-year-old Poweredge 830 (3GHz Pentium D) server costs around 200 pounds per
> year in electricity, which is about 50% of the cost of a brand-new, more
> efficient and usefully faster small server. For most of the year, the heat
> generated by the server is unwanted.


Is this like a home server that you use basically to allow other
computers in the home to access a hard drive or something?

I don't know what you need, but if you are looking for a computer that
uses very little power... well this one only uses 10 watts of power.
Which is about 88 kwh for a whole year.

My 9 Gateway laptops (some MX6124 and some M465) uses about 22 watts of
power. And laptops and netbooks are far more efficient for power than
desktops are generally.

So around this range is about as low power as you can get. But I don't
know what you need to use them for?

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix Linux
 
Reply With Quote
 
Timothy Daniels
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2011, 07:43 PM
"BluntChisel" replied:
> "powrwrap" asked:
>>
>>Curious. What is the price of electricity in the UK, per kilowatt-
>>hour?

>
> I pay between 13 and 18 pence per kWh, including taxes. I expect
> the price to continue rising faster than average wage increases. At
> that price, a 5-year-old Poweredge 830 (3GHz Pentium D) server
> costs around 200 pounds per year in electricity, which is about 50%
> of the cost of a brand-new, more efficient and usefully faster small
> server. For most of the year, the heat generated by the server is
> unwanted.



At 1.61 USdollars/Britpound, that's between 21cents and 29cents
per KWh, roughly twice the price of electrical power in Los Angeles.

*TimDaniels*


 
Reply With Quote
 
BillW50
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Timothy Daniels wrote:
> "BluntChisel" replied:
>> "powrwrap" asked:
>>> Curious. What is the price of electricity in the UK, per kilowatt-
>>> hour?

>> I pay between 13 and 18 pence per kWh, including taxes. I expect
>> the price to continue rising faster than average wage increases. At
>> that price, a 5-year-old Poweredge 830 (3GHz Pentium D) server
>> costs around 200 pounds per year in electricity, which is about 50%
>> of the cost of a brand-new, more efficient and usefully faster small
>> server. For most of the year, the heat generated by the server is
>> unwanted.

>
>
> At 1.61 USdollars/Britpound, that's between 21cents and 29cents
> per KWh, roughly twice the price of electrical power in Los Angeles.


When I lived in Europe (mostly in Holland for schooling), it was a bit
shocking that almost everything cost twice as much as being in America
(gasoline, food, housing, etc). This might sound very bad. But in
Europe, they also make roughly twice as much as their American
counterparts. So things costing roughly twice as much doesn't sound so
bad, now does it?

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix Linux
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone had a problem with digital recording quality? rmoorhou ATI 0 03-19-2006 05:36 PM
Has anyone else had Sun decline to renew Sparc 5 maintenance? Mark Sun Hardware 31 10-12-2004 11:55 AM
Has anyone had success using ct4830 with kxaudio drivers and traktor dj software? Gavin Soundblaster Live 0 09-11-2003 01:43 AM
Anyone has had this problem with Acer TM800XCi? D Laptops 0 07-25-2003 03:10 PM
Acer TM800 blurry video has ANYONE had this solved? Dave Laptops 1 07-03-2003 08:23 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment