Has ATT Usenet gone away?

Phil Weldon

I recently changed from EarthLink (nee Mindspring) after more than 15 years.
Though as an ATT subscriber I've received no direct notice that ATT has
discontinued Usenet service, there have been posts, seemingly from ATT,
announcing the end of Usenet service.
Any recommendations for a replacement Usenet service service?

Phil Weldon

ShadowTek

Phil Weldon wrote:

> I recently changed from EarthLink (nee Mindspring) after more than 15 years.
> Though as an ATT subscriber I've received no direct notice that ATT has
> discontinued Usenet service, there have been posts, seemingly from ATT,
> announcing the end of Usenet service.

Yes, I have also been seeing discussions about the end of their service,
though I never used it.

> Any recommendations for a replacement Usenet service service?

I have been using Motzarella for a while now, and it's a good one, *and*
it's free, but it doesn't serve binaries.

"ShadowTek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:h1irbp$26i$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Phil Weldon wrote:
>
> > I recently changed from EarthLink (nee Mindspring) after more than 15 years.
> > Though as an ATT subscriber I've received no direct notice that ATT has
> > discontinued Usenet service, there have been posts, seemingly from ATT,
> > announcing the end of Usenet service.

> Yes, I have also been seeing discussions about the end of their service,
> though I never used it.
>
> > Any recommendations for a replacement Usenet service service?

> I have been using Motzarella for a while now, and it's a good one, *and*
> it's free, but it doesn't serve binaries.

There's also albasani.net and solani.org, both of which are text-only
but free with registration (and no added advertising to your posts).

Paul

(E-Mail Removed)d wrote:
> "ShadowTek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:h1irbp$26i$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Phil Weldon wrote:
>>
>>> I recently changed from EarthLink (nee Mindspring) after more than 15 years.
>>> Though as an ATT subscriber I've received no direct notice that ATT has
>>> discontinued Usenet service, there have been posts, seemingly from ATT,
>>> announcing the end of Usenet service.

>> Yes, I have also been seeing discussions about the end of their service,
>> though I never used it.
>>
>>> Any recommendations for a replacement Usenet service service?

>> I have been using Motzarella for a while now, and it's a good one, *and*
>> it's free, but it doesn't serve binaries.

> There's also albasani.net and solani.org, both of which are text-only
> but free with registration (and no added advertising to your posts).

And nntp.aioe.org is available without registration. So can be
used as a fallback server, if the others fail. There is a limit
of 25 text posts per day, and no binaries.

http://www.aioe.org

To support the fact there is no authentication, that server
has filters. For example, attempts to send the same message
text twice, will be rejected (as that looks like a spam
bombing run). Attempts to post too quickly, might also
result in rejection. But in "normal" usage patterns (i.e.
not "chat room" style), you'll never run into a problem.

Some day, we'll be reduced to using BBSes again...

Paul

General Schvantzkoph

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:02:18 -0400, Phil Weldon wrote:

> I recently changed from EarthLink (nee Mindspring) after more than 15
> years. Though as an ATT subscriber I've received no direct notice that
> ATT has discontinued Usenet service, there have been posts, seemingly
> from ATT, announcing the end of Usenet service. Any recommendations for
> a replacement Usenet service service?
>
> Phil Weldon

There were new articles about them dropping Usenet. When Cocast dropped
Usenet I switched back to

https://news.individual.net/

It costs 10 Euros a year. They have much better SPAM filtering then
Comcast had so the 10 Euros is worth every cent.

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:h1j8dd$7mv$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> And nntp.aioe.org is available without registration. So can be
> used as a fallback server, if the others fail. There is a limit
> of 25 text posts per day, and no binaries.

Just FYI, aioe.org is a widely banned and filtered domain. Huge
problem with spammers, lamers and flamers, almost as bad as
googlegroups.

Howard Goldstein

On 20 Jun 2009 18:50:24 GMT, General Schvantzkoph <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: There were new articles about them dropping Usenet. When Cocast dropped
: Usenet I switched back to
:
: https://news.individual.net/
:
: It costs 10 Euros a year. They have much better SPAM filtering then
: Comcast had so the 10 Euros is worth every cent.

This. Victim of Verizon. individual.net is a winner for me too.

Motzarella problem: ATT orphan needs a second Usenet provider AKT Apple 13 06-29-2009 01:03 AM
Usenet has become USELESS! Aly Embedded 7 12-13-2007 08:01 PM
my ati 9800 has gone berserk Husky ATI 2 11-06-2004 03:32 AM
ATT: HH Thanks for reply, it is indeed a Canadian model, but it has an AMD 850mhz and doesnt have onboard VGA Homer Compaq 1 08-24-2004 01:00 AM
Dell suport has gone down hill. cranheim Dell 19 11-26-2003 03:33 AM