What has Parallels done with my Start Menu?

wm_walsh@hotmail.com

I upgraded to Parallels for Mac version 3.0 some time ago. Whether I
should have or not, I performed an in-place upgrade of the old version
(2.5) to 3.0. I have exactly one VM...a Windows XP Professional based
setup.

With that came the need to update the Parallels Tools, which I also
did. The installer locked up partway through this process and I had to
kill it. The failure occurred while the Tools installer was
enumerating and installing drivers for the virtualized hardware.

Later I ran the installer again, and it worked fine.

However, with the Tools installed, the entire task bar and start menu
disappear! I am not using Coherence mode. I can still summon the Start
Menu by hitting the Apple key, but the only way to get the entire
taskbar back is to kill EXPLORER.EXE and start it again from the Task
Manager.

I don't understand what is going on here. I cannot find any setting
within Parallels to change this behavior, and it does not happen if
the Tools are uninstalled.

Searching the web didn't seem to turn up much, other than someone with
the same problem who never got an answer on the Parallels forums. I
feel this could mean that I need to reinstall Windows into a fresh
virtual environment. I don't mind doing that, but I would like to know
that doing so would solve the problem for sure.

William

Re: Parallels or BootCamp? - - - BootCamp or Parallels? ric Apple 26 07-10-2007 03:33 PM
How can you tell the intel chipset installation utility has done its job? Harrie Asus 7 08-02-2006 07:19 AM
Has anyone done any movie/dvd rendering with their laptop Mark Laptops 5 12-16-2004 07:04 AM
has anyone ever done this? s.smith HP 0 04-22-2004 12:01 PM
Has anyone done this? Kim And John Holtz Compaq 1 02-17-2004 04:43 PM