I have another problem. When I rum Everest Home (thanks Paul) only one of the cores shows being used.

Marc

Someone mention over on 24.hoursupport.helpdesk that I should have 2 cores
showing in task manager and I don't. My son has a Intel dual core with a
slower processor and it is much faster than my desk top. Is there something
need to turn on?

Here's what I have:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
K9N SLI Platinum
2 Gig Memory
2 SATA WD5000AAKS with the cache located on the second hard drive.

Marc

Paul

Marc wrote:
> Someone mention over on 24.hoursupport.helpdesk that I should have 2 cores
> showing in task manager and I don't. My son has a Intel dual core with a
> slower processor and it is much faster than my desk top. Is there something
> need to turn on?
>
> Here's what I have:
>
> AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
> K9N SLI Platinum
> 2 Gig Memory
> 2 SATA WD5000AAKS with the cache located on the second hard drive.
>
> Marc

Go to Device Manager. Check the "Computer" entry. The
driver there is called a HAL or hardware abstraction layer.

Mine reads "ACPI Multiprocessor PC", and I see two charts
for my processor. If you had something like "Standard PC"
as the HAL, then only expect to see one chart, and reduced
power management functions. Tell us what version is listed
there, on your current install.

Some of the possible values are shown here. The OS can
"promote" to the better choice, only in limited circumstances.
For example, I've automatically been changed from
"ACPI Uniprocessor PC" to "ACPI Multiprocessor PC". But
if you're trapped in "Standard PC", that one is a lot harder
to fix (as in reinstall the OS perhaps, not really sure).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283/en-us

Once the HAL issue is sorted, there are other tweaks
for dual core users. This thread hints at some of this.
Always read the latest info for this, as to which
things still need to be installed. None of this is
for fixing the "one chart" problem.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60416

Paul

Marc

Paul it's there but only one instance. ACPI Multiproccessor PC. What do you
mean by charts? Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

Marc

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:ficuq3$qmm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Marc wrote:
>> Someone mention over on 24.hoursupport.helpdesk that I should have 2
>> cores showing in task manager and I don't. My son has a Intel dual core
>> with a slower processor and it is much faster than my desk top. Is there
>> something need to turn on?
>>
>> Here's what I have:
>>
>> AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
>> K9N SLI Platinum
>> 2 Gig Memory
>> 2 SATA WD5000AAKS with the cache located on the second hard drive.
>>
>> Marc
>>

> Go to Device Manager. Check the "Computer" entry. The
> driver there is called a HAL or hardware abstraction layer.
>
> Mine reads "ACPI Multiprocessor PC", and I see two charts
> for my processor. If you had something like "Standard PC"
> as the HAL, then only expect to see one chart, and reduced
> power management functions. Tell us what version is listed
> there, on your current install.
>
> Some of the possible values are shown here. The OS can
> "promote" to the better choice, only in limited circumstances.
> For example, I've automatically been changed from
> "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" to "ACPI Multiprocessor PC". But
> if you're trapped in "Standard PC", that one is a lot harder
> to fix (as in reinstall the OS perhaps, not really sure).

> Once the HAL issue is sorted, there are other tweaks
> for dual core users. This thread hints at some of this.
> Always read the latest info for this, as to which
> things still need to be installed. None of this is
> for fixing the "one chart" problem.
>
> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60416
>
> Paul

Marc

I tried the patch and still only one core in Everest shows being used. I
followed that link about increasing the performance and read that and it had
a AMD patch and this seems to have made a big difference.

Thanks Paul

"Marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Paul it's there but only one instance. ACPI Multiproccessor PC. What do
> you mean by charts? Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!
>
> Marc
>

> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:ficuq3$qmm$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Marc wrote:
>>> Someone mention over on 24.hoursupport.helpdesk that I should have 2
>>> cores showing in task manager and I don't. My son has a Intel dual core
>>> with a slower processor and it is much faster than my desk top. Is
>>> there something need to turn on?
>>>
>>> Here's what I have:
>>>
>>> AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
>>> K9N SLI Platinum
>>> 2 Gig Memory
>>> 2 SATA WD5000AAKS with the cache located on the second hard drive.
>>>
>>> Marc
>>>

>> Go to Device Manager. Check the "Computer" entry. The
>> driver there is called a HAL or hardware abstraction layer.
>>
>> Mine reads "ACPI Multiprocessor PC", and I see two charts
>> for my processor. If you had something like "Standard PC"
>> as the HAL, then only expect to see one chart, and reduced
>> power management functions. Tell us what version is listed
>> there, on your current install.
>>
>> Some of the possible values are shown here. The OS can
>> "promote" to the better choice, only in limited circumstances.
>> For example, I've automatically been changed from
>> "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" to "ACPI Multiprocessor PC". But
>> if you're trapped in "Standard PC", that one is a lot harder
>> to fix (as in reinstall the OS perhaps, not really sure).

>> Once the HAL issue is sorted, there are other tweaks
>> for dual core users. This thread hints at some of this.
>> Always read the latest info for this, as to which
>> things still need to be installed. None of this is
>> for fixing the "one chart" problem.
>>
>> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60416
>>
>> Paul

Paul

Marc wrote:
> I tried the patch and still only one core in Everest shows being used. I
> followed that link about increasing the performance and read that and it had
> a AMD patch and this seems to have made a big difference.
>
> Thanks Paul

Two charts, upper right, should be present if you have a dual core.

http://www.intel.com/support/process...4/img/fig5.jpg

That is the Task Manager display.

*******
This is what a quad processor looks like. (French OS). 4 charts.

http://renderfred.free.fr/4TaskManager.gif

And for giggles, this is what a computer with 32 virtual cores
looks like, in the Task Manager. This would be running
some kind of server OS. (8 dual core Xeons, each with Hyperthreading.)

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/reso...sors-thumb.jpg

This is (only) 16 virtual cores. 26GB of RAM.

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/reso...06/08/6800.jpg

Paul

Marc

Thanks Paul!!! After I did the AMD patch I have the 2 graphs.

Marc