HD Dection Problem w/Overclocking

David Gorick

Hi All,

I have an IC7-MAX3 with a 3.0 Northwood P4 and two Maxtor SATA HD's. I
wanted to try some mild overclocking by increasing the clock speed. The
problem is that at any speed over the 3.0 the bios does not detect the HD's
and gives me a boot error. As soon as I lower it back to 3.0 everything
boots normally. Should I be changing some other settings as well and/or am
I overlooking something.

Thanks, David

John Lewis

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:47:15 -0800, "David Gorick"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have an IC7-MAX3 with a 3.0 Northwood P4 and two Maxtor SATA HD's. I
>wanted to try some mild overclocking by increasing the clock speed. The
>problem is that at any speed over the 3.0 the bios does not detect the HD's
>and gives me a boot error. As soon as I lower it back to 3.0 everything
>boots normally. Should I be changing some other settings as well and/or am
>I overlooking something.

Yes, set "AGP Ratio" to "Fixed" in Softmenu and all will be well. Now
go play with your CPU clock speed. Just make sure that the "Fixed
AGP/PCI Frequency" setting stays at 66/33.

John Lewis

>Thanks, David

David Gorick

Thanks John, I'll give that a try and get back with the results.

"John Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:47:15 -0800, "David Gorick"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I have an IC7-MAX3 with a 3.0 Northwood P4 and two Maxtor SATA HD's. I
>>wanted to try some mild overclocking by increasing the clock speed. The
>>problem is that at any speed over the 3.0 the bios does not detect the
>>HD's
>>and gives me a boot error. As soon as I lower it back to 3.0 everything
>>boots normally. Should I be changing some other settings as well and/or
>>am
>>I overlooking something.
>>

> Yes, set "AGP Ratio" to "Fixed" in Softmenu and all will be well. Now
> go play with your CPU clock speed. Just make sure that the "Fixed
> AGP/PCI Frequency" setting stays at 66/33.
>
> John Lewis
>
>>Thanks, David

TomG

lock the AGP and PCI busses at normal speed (66 and 33 respectively)

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"David Gorick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> I have an IC7-MAX3 with a 3.0 Northwood P4 and two Maxtor SATA HD's. I
> wanted to try some mild overclocking by increasing the clock speed. The
> problem is that at any speed over the 3.0 the bios does not detect the
> HD's and gives me a boot error. As soon as I lower it back to 3.0
> everything boots normally. Should I be changing some other settings as
> well and/or am I overlooking something.
>
> Thanks, David

David Gorick

Thanks Tom, but John Lewis beat you to it. His advice was exactly the same
as yours. I appreciate the response.

"TomG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> lock the AGP and PCI busses at normal speed (66 and 33 respectively)
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> over 130,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^
>

> "David Gorick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have an IC7-MAX3 with a 3.0 Northwood P4 and two Maxtor SATA HD's. I
>> wanted to try some mild overclocking by increasing the clock speed. The
>> problem is that at any speed over the 3.0 the bios does not detect the
>> HD's and gives me a boot error. As soon as I lower it back to 3.0
>> everything boots normally. Should I be changing some other settings as
>> well and/or am I overlooking something.
>>
>> Thanks, David

TomG

yeah, saw that... glad you got it sorted