Heatpipe coolers

Jack

Just bought a cpu cooler with heatpipes but when it's fitted to my tower
case the heatpipes will be sitting horizontally.
Does anyone know if they will still operate horizontally or do they need to
be at least angled up slightly so the liquid can flow back down to the base?

Robin Gordon

I have an arctic freezer64 pro and its pipes are constantly in the
horizontal position and theres been no problems so far.

HTH

Robin

Jack

"Robin Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an arctic freezer64 pro and its pipes are constantly in the
>horizontal position and theres been no problems so far.

Thanks, that's the same cooler I've just got, just need the CPU now :-)

Paul

Jack wrote:
> Just bought a cpu cooler with heatpipes but when it's fitted to my tower
> case the heatpipes will be sitting horizontally.
> Does anyone know if they will still operate horizontally or do they need to
> be at least angled up slightly so the liquid can flow back down to the base?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe

To work inverted, a heatpipe relies on capillary action. In the above
description, they refer to a "sintered" finish on the inside of the
heatpipe. And that would help, when in an inverted situation. There
are other similar descriptions, like this one:

http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...articleID=1509

Paul