Heatsink/Fan advice please

Eddie E

I have a Gateway GM5424 desktop I purchased last March. I have already
updated the video card, memory and PSU. I will be updating the CPU soon with
an Intel E6700. I have read that the Intel stock cooler is not that great. I
want to go with an aftermarket heat sink like a Zalman. My concern is that
so many of the available coolers seem pretty large, particularly the fans.
Can anyone suggest a good cooler for a Socket 775 CPU that will fit OK in my
Gateway motherboard and case? Thanks.

Eddie

Ben Myers

FWIW, I built a custom system with Intel quad core CPU and stock Intel heat
sink/cooling fan for a client a few months ago, and I have not heard one
complaint.

If you are going to use another brand, you will need to measure the EXACT
dimensions available inside the Gateway chassis and match them with the specs of
various aftermarket fans... Ben Myers

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:14:10 -0500, "Eddie E" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a Gateway GM5424 desktop I purchased last March. I have already
>updated the video card, memory and PSU. I will be updating the CPU soon with
>an Intel E6700. I have read that the Intel stock cooler is not that great. I
>want to go with an aftermarket heat sink like a Zalman. My concern is that
>so many of the available coolers seem pretty large, particularly the fans.
>Can anyone suggest a good cooler for a Socket 775 CPU that will fit OK in my
>Gateway motherboard and case? Thanks.
>
>Eddie

Eddie E

Wow! now that's a fast reply. Since you feel the stock cooler works fine on
a quad core, maybe I'll give the stock cooler for the Core-2 Duo a shot. I
can always replace the cooler if it is not sufficient. Thanks Ben.

Eddie

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> FWIW, I built a custom system with Intel quad core CPU and stock Intel
> heat
> sink/cooling fan for a client a few months ago, and I have not heard one
> complaint.
>
> If you are going to use another brand, you will need to measure the EXACT
> dimensions available inside the Gateway chassis and match them with the
> specs of
> various aftermarket fans... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:14:10 -0500, "Eddie E"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I have a Gateway GM5424 desktop I purchased last March. I have already
>>updated the video card, memory and PSU. I will be updating the CPU soon
>>with
>>an Intel E6700. I have read that the Intel stock cooler is not that great.
>>want to go with an aftermarket heat sink like a Zalman. My concern is that
>>so many of the available coolers seem pretty large, particularly the fans.
>>Can anyone suggest a good cooler for a Socket 775 CPU that will fit OK in
>>my
>>Gateway motherboard and case? Thanks.
>>
>>Eddie

Ben Myers

According to info on the Gateway web site, the GM5424 uses a standard Intel
965-chipset motherboard with slightly customized Gateway BIOS. Because
different versions of BIOS recognize different CPUs, it would be best to update
the BIOS to the latest before installing a newer CPU.

Intel's heat sink/cooling fans for the LGA775 CPUs all look very much alike, but
the rated amperage differs among fans for Celerons, P4 HT, Core-2 Duo and Quad
Core. With the higher amperage comes faster RPMs and sometimes slightly
different design to push more air and cool the hotter CPUs.

Intel has made a serious effort to reduce power consumption and heat with its
newer mult-core CPUs, consistently reducing the voltage needed by a CPU to
operate... Ben Myers

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:25:30 -0500, "Eddie E" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Wow! now that's a fast reply. Since you feel the stock cooler works fine on
>a quad core, maybe I'll give the stock cooler for the Core-2 Duo a shot. I
>can always replace the cooler if it is not sufficient. Thanks Ben.
>
>Eddie
>
>"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> FWIW, I built a custom system with Intel quad core CPU and stock Intel
>> heat
>> sink/cooling fan for a client a few months ago, and I have not heard one
>> complaint.
>>
>> If you are going to use another brand, you will need to measure the EXACT
>> dimensions available inside the Gateway chassis and match them with the
>> specs of
>> various aftermarket fans... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:14:10 -0500, "Eddie E"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a Gateway GM5424 desktop I purchased last March. I have already
>>>updated the video card, memory and PSU. I will be updating the CPU soon
>>>with
>>>an Intel E6700. I have read that the Intel stock cooler is not that great.
>>>want to go with an aftermarket heat sink like a Zalman. My concern is that
>>>so many of the available coolers seem pretty large, particularly the fans.
>>>Can anyone suggest a good cooler for a Socket 775 CPU that will fit OK in
>>>my
>>>Gateway motherboard and case? Thanks.
>>>
>>>Eddie

mdp

Ben Myers wrote:
> According to info on the Gateway web site, the GM5424 uses a standard
> Intel 965-chipset motherboard with slightly customized Gateway BIOS.
> Because different versions of BIOS recognize different CPUs, it would
> be best to update the BIOS to the latest before installing a newer
> CPU.
>
> Intel's heat sink/cooling fans for the LGA775 CPUs all look very much
> alike, but the rated amperage differs among fans for Celerons, P4 HT,
> Core-2 Duo and Quad Core. With the higher amperage comes faster
> RPMs and sometimes slightly different design to push more air and
> cool the hotter CPUs.
>
> Intel has made a serious effort to reduce power consumption and heat
> with its newer mult-core CPUs, consistently reducing the voltage
> needed by a CPU to operate... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:25:30 -0500, "Eddie E"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Wow! now that's a fast reply. Since you feel the stock cooler works
>> fine on a quad core, maybe I'll give the stock cooler for the Core-2
>> Duo a shot. I can always replace the cooler if it is not sufficient.
>> Thanks Ben.
>>
>> Eddie
>>
>> "Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> FWIW, I built a custom system with Intel quad core CPU and stock
>>> Intel heat
>>> sink/cooling fan for a client a few months ago, and I have not
>>> heard one complaint.
>>>
>>> If you are going to use another brand, you will need to measure the
>>> EXACT dimensions available inside the Gateway chassis and match
>>> them with the specs of
>>> various aftermarket fans... Ben Myers
>>>
>>> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:14:10 -0500, "Eddie E"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>

I replaced a stock Intel LGA775 Fan/Heatsink with this and temps dropped ~20
degrees. Stays under 100 degrees F. It's quiet. Cost me around $40
shipped off eBay.

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/C...8/cl-p0378.asp

Ben Myers

Thermaltake and Zalman are two of the best-regarded aftermarket heat
sink/cooling fans. No surprise that your system runs 20 degrees cooler with a
Thermaltake. Still, 120 degrees is not a terribly hot operating temperature for
a CPU. Fahrenheit, that is. It is simply warmer than 100 degrees... Ben Myers

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:08:21 -0800, "mdp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ben Myers wrote:
>> According to info on the Gateway web site, the GM5424 uses a standard
>> Intel 965-chipset motherboard with slightly customized Gateway BIOS.
>> Because different versions of BIOS recognize different CPUs, it would
>> be best to update the BIOS to the latest before installing a newer
>> CPU.
>>
>> Intel's heat sink/cooling fans for the LGA775 CPUs all look very much
>> alike, but the rated amperage differs among fans for Celerons, P4 HT,
>> Core-2 Duo and Quad Core. With the higher amperage comes faster
>> RPMs and sometimes slightly different design to push more air and
>> cool the hotter CPUs.
>>
>> Intel has made a serious effort to reduce power consumption and heat
>> with its newer mult-core CPUs, consistently reducing the voltage
>> needed by a CPU to operate... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:25:30 -0500, "Eddie E"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Wow! now that's a fast reply. Since you feel the stock cooler works
>>> fine on a quad core, maybe I'll give the stock cooler for the Core-2
>>> Duo a shot. I can always replace the cooler if it is not sufficient.
>>> Thanks Ben.
>>>
>>> Eddie
>>>
>>> "Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>I replaced a stock Intel LGA775 Fan/Heatsink with this and temps dropped ~20
>degrees. Stays under 100 degrees F. It's quiet. Cost me around $40
>shipped off eBay.
>
>http://www.thermaltake.com/product/C...8/cl-p0378.asp

Postman Delivers

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:08:21 -0800, mdp wrote:

> Ben Myers wrote:
>> According to info on the Gateway web site, the GM5424 uses a standard
>> Intel 965-chipset motherboard with slightly customized Gateway BIOS.
>> Because different versions of BIOS recognize different CPUs, it would
>> be best to update the BIOS to the latest before installing a newer CPU.
>>
>> Intel's heat sink/cooling fans for the LGA775 CPUs all look very much
>> alike, but the rated amperage differs among fans for Celerons, P4 HT,
>> Core-2 Duo and Quad Core. With the higher amperage comes faster RPMs
>> and sometimes slightly different design to push more air and cool the
>> hotter CPUs.
>>
>> Intel has made a serious effort to reduce power consumption and heat
>> with its newer mult-core CPUs, consistently reducing the voltage needed
>> by a CPU to operate... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:25:30 -0500, "Eddie E"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Wow! now that's a fast reply. Since you feel the stock cooler works
>>> fine on a quad core, maybe I'll give the stock cooler for the Core-2
>>> Duo a shot. I can always replace the cooler if it is not sufficient.
>>> Thanks Ben.
>>>
>>> Eddie
>>>
>>> "Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I replaced a stock Intel LGA775 Fan/Heatsink with this and temps dropped
> ~20 degrees. Stays under 100 degrees F. It's quiet. Cost me around
> $40 shipped off eBay.
>
> http://www.thermaltake.com/product/C...8/cl-p0378.asp

I have had several Thermaltake CPU fans fail in less than a year...

Most recently a TT-9038A that is time stamped 2007, 03-22 - yes it is a
brushless CPU fan...

JR

Anyone have the driver for DELL P/N 09629U Video Card PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE OK GO Dell 8 09-17-2006 03:33 AM
advice please T.F Abit 2 10-28-2003 09:20 PM
Opinions and advice on Overclock please... tHatDudeUK Abit 17 09-15-2003 06:11 PM
Abit BD-7 Advice Please BTinternet Abit 0 08-13-2003 12:17 PM
Abit BD-7 RAID - Advice please BTinternet Abit 0 08-13-2003 10:20 AM