Heatsink replacement problem / heatsink detection

Sambo

I have tried replacing my heatsink and fan many times now , but
non if the new heatsinks were accepted by the motherboard.
When I try to boot the power goes out after 1 or 2 seconds.
The board is Asus A7V333 and the original heatsink is longer than
all the new ones , raised allowing it to cover most of the plastic
under which the sockets lever is attached. This raised area has
2 slits that are almost covered by the original heatsink so I hoped
there were light sensors there but that does not seam to be the case.
The detection doesn't even involve the heatsink clamp being in place
since just placing the heatsink on top of the CPU seams to make it work.

Any other possibilities?

I would like to close this up since besides knocking on the fan
I have no other reason to keep it open.
The Atholon 2100MHz has always been running at 1300 since I got it
second hand because it was getting way too hot.
But even then if in C&C on a hot summer day....
Until I cleaned up the area of old heat transfer pad , old paste
and newly applied Stars 700 heatsink compound that I got almost
constant 60C (oops 52 now but I haven't played C&C )

So best transfer with nothing on it.

Cheers

Charles

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:35:36 -0500, Sambo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have tried replacing my heatsink and fan many times now , but
>non if the new heatsinks were accepted by the motherboard.
>When I try to boot the power goes out after 1 or 2 seconds.
>The board is Asus A7V333 and the original heatsink is longer than
>all the new ones , raised allowing it to cover most of the plastic
>under which the sockets lever is attached. This raised area has
>2 slits that are almost covered by the original heatsink so I hoped
>there were light sensors there but that does not seam to be the case.
>The detection doesn't even involve the heatsink clamp being in place
>since just placing the heatsink on top of the CPU seams to make it work.
>
>Any other possibilities?
>
>I would like to close this up since besides knocking on the fan
>I have no other reason to keep it open.
>The Atholon 2100MHz has always been running at 1300 since I got it
>second hand because it was getting way too hot.
>But even then if in C&C on a hot summer day....
>Until I cleaned up the area of old heat transfer pad , old paste
>and newly applied Stars 700 heatsink compound that I got almost
>constant 60C (oops 52 now but I haven't played C&C )
>
>So best transfer with nothing on it.
>
>Cheers

I had a similar problem to this, I took it to the shop, they ended up
replacing the MB. They tried various things, couldn't make it work .
Couldn't tell why the heat sink would not maintain good contact.

Sambo

Charles wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:35:36 -0500, Sambo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I have tried replacing my heatsink and fan many times now , but
>>non if the new heatsinks were accepted by the motherboard.
>>When I try to boot the power goes out after 1 or 2 seconds.
>>The board is Asus A7V333 and the original heatsink is longer than
>>all the new ones , raised allowing it to cover most of the plastic
>>under which the sockets lever is attached. This raised area has
>>2 slits that are almost covered by the original heatsink so I hoped
>>there were light sensors there but that does not seam to be the case.
>>The detection doesn't even involve the heatsink clamp being in place
>>since just placing the heatsink on top of the CPU seams to make it work.
>>
>>Any other possibilities?
>>
>>I would like to close this up since besides knocking on the fan
>>I have no other reason to keep it open.
>>The Atholon 2100MHz has always been running at 1300 since I got it
>>second hand because it was getting way too hot.
>>But even then if in C&C on a hot summer day....
>>Until I cleaned up the area of old heat transfer pad , old paste
>>and newly applied Stars 700 heatsink compound that I got almost
>>constant 60C (oops 52 now but I haven't played C&C )
>>
>>So best transfer with nothing on it.
>>
>>Cheers

> I had a similar problem to this, I took it to the shop, they ended up
> replacing the MB. They tried various things, couldn't make it work .
> Couldn't tell why the heat sink would not maintain good contact.

I just realized this heatsink is anodized ( or whatever the term is )
and so was the last one , let's hope the 4 rubber pads on the CPU are
actually electrodes. Well Al foil to the rescue.
Now that I said that, it seams that I have read about foil in the context
of installing heatsinks.
Hmmm...