Help to boot from DVD

Lenny Bruce

My dimension 8200 didn't come with a DVD reader so I removed the CD__ROM
and added a DVD reader in it's place. I upgraded to the latest BIOS
(A_09)from Dell support but there is no boot option to boot from the
DVD. The DVD is readable - i.e. I can see the drive and files on a DVD
or CD but I can't get it to boot from the drive.

I want to install SuSE 9.3 from a DVD on this machine.

Ben Myers

Is the SuSE 9.3 DVD a bootable one made from an ISO image? If it is not
bootable, it will not boot, same as a CD. Does it boot from a bootable CD suhc
as the recovery CD that came with the computer? ... Ben Myers

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 10:21:31 -0700, Lenny Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My dimension 8200 didn't come with a DVD reader so I removed the CD__ROM
> and added a DVD reader in it's place. I upgraded to the latest BIOS
>(A_09)from Dell support but there is no boot option to boot from the
>DVD. The DVD is readable - i.e. I can see the drive and files on a DVD
>or CD but I can't get it to boot from the drive.
>
>I want to install SuSE 9.3 from a DVD on this machine.

Tom Scales

Did you jumper the drive as Cable Select?

Did you make sure it is AUTO in the BIOS (it will still work if it is OFF,
but won't boot).

Did you check the boot order to ensure it is above the hard drive?

Tom
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tom Scales wrote:
> Did you jumper the drive as Cable Select?

Cable Select

> Did you make sure it is AUTO in the BIOS (it will still work if it is OFF,
> but won't boot).

yes
> Did you check the boot order to ensure it is above the hard drive?

There is no option in the BIOS boot order. The BIOS doesn't recognize a DVD.

Ben Myers wrote:
> Is the SuSE 9.3 DVD a bootable one made from an ISO image? If it is not
> bootable, it will not boot, same as a CD. Does it boot from a bootable CD suhc
> as the recovery CD that came with the computer? ... Ben Myers

I downloaded the ISO and burned a DVD. When I view the DVD drive it
shows the separate files, including cloop, a shell script weighing in at
1.3gigs.

Tom Scales

No, the BIOS will consider it a CD, but that's OK. Do you have two optical
drives? If so, the DVD has to be on the end of the cable (and therefore the
Master) to boot.